Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 5

Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Be present I was a veggie for years and years, until I fell pregnant with my daughter, then for some reason craved flesh insanely :-/ and I have been a carnivore ever since. You are right it was a bit strange at first, and I found people almost were irritated that I was a vegetarian. But I got so used to it - and managed to overcome my bacon sandwich cravings !!
Also when I gave up smoking it was really the habitual side of it that lasted longer than the physical cravings (for example after a meal).
Alcohol is addictive and habit forming but also unfortunately changes the way a person feels, thinks and behaves with dire consequences, that's the difference I guess. Cigarettes used to call to me in the same way though, and I beat them :-). Although I ended up drinking twice as much because I missed smoking so much, doh!!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Shoes, good to see you on here! Glad you found an AA meeting you like. Seriously you don't have anything to be embarrassed about in terms of your posts!

Daisy, I think you're right about habits. I started drinking a lot when I was 25 - in a moment of mad idealism I decided to get rid of the TV because I thought it would be better for our family. ("No Cbeebies for my baby - ever!" - how silly and unrealistic was I!?) So instead of watching TV to relax at night I started drinking lots of wine and reading books. Way healthier than TV - not! Anyway, after a year of no TV we got one set up again but by then I was in a habit of drinking way too much, and as we all know alcohol is extremely addictive stuff! I've 'replaced' the nightly wine habit with dark chocolate for now
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Irelander keep looking to a sober future
It is good to see so much focus here today
Chuff, sorry my man, if you are picturi g me with my legs in the air, you can add nightmares to your sleep woes!!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words Bepresent, Im so grateful this website is here.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I have been posting in various parts of SR until I was pointed to this thread by Marcher13. I’m in the middle of Day Three and having a tough go at it. Last night was good until I put my kids to bed. I had almost two hours before my wife got home and the cravings hit hard. I have also been suffering from stomach cramps and mild shakes so my brain kept telling me that a simple drink would end all of the discomfort. Luckily, I had my guitar to distract me and my wife made it home early so I was good. This is so much tougher than I thought but with the support of the SR community and the love of my family, I’m gonna make it!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Glad you found us, Murdock - this is a really supportive group. Congrats on day 3 - that's fantastic that you resisted last night. You can do it!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks, bepresent! I'm glad to be here. I love getting advice from the oldtimers but it is also really nice to have a group going through it right there with you!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bepresent View Post
MeSoSober, you sound like you're doing great!
I AM doing great -- and that's always been part of my problem. That about 90 percent of the time I never (and still don't) struggle with cravings or any desire to drink. There have been times I've thought that was a blessing and other times I've thought it was a curse. A curse because I think for a long time it kept me from getting serious about quitting, and because when the cravings did come, it seemed they came sort of randomly and unpredictably. (In retrospect, there WAS some degree of predictability -- Friday nights, times when I had an onerous task or project to do [onerous tasks being far LESS onerous with a good buzz on!!], when I was in a particularly "up" mood.)

But the fact that most of the time I didn't struggle with cravings didn't matter in terms of the havoc wreaked in my life (the job losses, specifically). When I DID have urges, I always gave in to them, and then I was usually off on a multiple-day bender that had me calling in to work sick or going in late and ultimately drinking on the job in an effort to stay vaguely functional and not get sick. Ugh.

So now that's why I emphasize to myself the importance of looking ahead and vigilance. And this board is helping SO MUCH to keep me ever-conscious of my sobriety, multiple times a day, day in and day out, and what I have to do to preserve it. I never want to go back to where I've been.

Anyway, thank you, bepresent, for your kind words and I'm glad to have written something that was significant to you! Giving support is often as important to one's sobriety as getting it, no?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Thank you mesosober and bepresent I have enjoyed reading your posts...so inspirational....mesosober...what you just posted...is me
Mick
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Dear all - below is what I posted in a new thread - but if its ok I wanted to come back here - I have reposted below

I wasn't going to post here again until I got a grip of myself. However, and I hope you all don't mind, the point of this site is to offer and receive help - so I decided not to delay coming back.

My husband and I went away for our mini break for 3 days. The first day, we went out and he said that it would be ok if I were to have a drink as long as I didn't go overboard. He wanted to have a drink too but didn't want to have one alone. Anyway had a few glasses of wine each night and I was ok - didn't get (too) drunk and didn't black out.

However, I feel now like I am outsider to this group , where before I felt involved and happy. I don't feel 'qualified' not to offer any comments or post anything.

This Saturday is my birthday, and my husband is taking me out for dinner etc etc. Not sure how I am going to cope as I don't feel now like I have built up any coping mechanisms.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop by and say hello all. I am keeping up to date with all your posts and a lot of you are doing really well Hope I can get may act together to stay a Marcher and not have to become and April-er (if thats ok)
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chuff1 View Post
Thank you mesosober and bepresent I have enjoyed reading your posts...so inspirational....mesosober...what you just posted...is me
Mick
You're my sober soul brother!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi Snaggle
You come right on back when your ready...noone here is"qualified" apart from the fact were alcoholics!! You will never be an outsider
Take care and see you soon
Mick x
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good Morning strong people!! Just checking in on the start of Day 14 here. Looking forward to the Thursday night beginner's meeting I've been attending. It's been held at the same location since 1945 and has tons of history on the walls. Such an inspirational place for me to be....seeing the chips on the walls from people that were able to recover and move on to that big meeting in the sky without alcohol on their breath. I'm so grateful to be a part of these meetings, this site, and life today.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

And very happy and proud to be.......Now cant get Lady Marmalade out of my head....hey sister soul sister soul sister hey sister soul.............................................. ......
Mick
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Freezing cold again today, even by our standards in the Far North. But sun is shining brightly, and more daylight every day! Enjoying my sober March.

Mick, congrats on riding shotgun. It’s a wild ride! Thanks for your post and for defending your sobriety with all your heart – I am so glad you are here

Forabetterlife, I am loving sleep again, after a few weeks of insomnia – like you, not in a depressed way, but a comforting, restful way.

JimJim, very happy you are posting again. As our founder, you have a LOT of people who care about you. Please keep reaching out as Obladi, bepresent, Marcher13 and the rest of the Sober Marchers would love to hear from you.

Daisy1, I am never on facebook anymore – just here.

Percussion, IreLander – welcome back to sobriety – please post when you think you might choose to drink. I know there are times when the thread isn’t populated, but there are usually a few people in the chat room no matter the hour. I chatted when I was tempted and it stopped me for blowing my quit.

DMJDan, congrats on Day 5! Jimuk, good on ya for day 4! Lifeplant, sober cheers on day 18! TryingHarder, kudos on day 13 (unlucky for some, but lucky for you)! Congrats on 3 days Soberjanedoe – your throat will heal (I was a vodka monster too). Huzaaah for AoS and misspond on day 11! Yipppe for MeSoSober on 16 days! Awesome Dude-ette to kellyg on day 4!
Clight – Three WEEKS! Way to go, buddy! Okay, I am out of different ways to say congratulations - a good problem to have...

Toots, exercising with animals is the way to go. I wish they let my dogs work out with me at my gym. Would make the whole thing much more pleasurable.

Sassy, I am happy that you have passed a milestone – I still occasionally white-knuckle – working on my surfing skills

Hi bepresent – sorry about the rough night and ain’t it grand you were sober and in control?

360shoes you have nothing to apologize for – we are all trying to help each other out, and I appreciate it. We "Heart Symbol" you.

Welcome Murdock80. Can you play Show Me the Way to Go Home on the guitar? Was my theme song for years.

Snaggle (aka Snaffle), for your birthday can you celebrate by giving yourself the gift of sobriety? I know it sounds corny, but it may help…

Big love to all Sober Marchers - feeling good - it's a new day
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Congrats RiverFriend of 2 weeks!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Welcome to Marchers Murdock80
Mick
Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I was gone for a few hours and its time to start writing down which page I left off again. Happy sober day everyone These posts are great and inspiring everyday for me.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Mick, congrats on riding shotgun. It’s a wild ride!

I Know, but someone had to do it LOL
Mick
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Snaggle, good to hear from you - definitely no need to feel like an outsider! And, like Mick said, none of us are 'qualified' except in the fact that we all have alcohol problems. Just jump right back in. If you are worried about this weekend, maybe make a plan in advance re which non-alcoholic drinks you could order? (I know actually sticking to the plan would still be hard...) It's lovely that your husband is taking you out - enjoy! x