Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

PAT inst

Patience, Acceptance and Tolerance
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wow, Monday morning sure feels good! I've been putting myself under some undue stress lately and this past week I paid with some wicked heartburn. I got some Prilosec on Saturday and it really seems to be doing the trick. I'm also going to start relaxing more and start trying to eat better. I've been walking every day and the exercise seems to help too. I guess it really is all about balance. Just thankful that drinking is no longer an option
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Just a wee quick post from me. Lovely sunny day here (quite rare)

Bit of business in the morning and housework in the afternoon. Quite a chilled out kinda day.

Back later. Hope you're all having a happy, healthy day.

x
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Morning all
I was offline all of Sunday, so catching up on posts. Hope the week is starting off well for everyone.
Back in a bit
Bloss
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Highs and lows kinda day for me but that's okay.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Nicky: I relate, back and forth, guess feelings and life is going to happen. Least we' re sober and able to deal with things in a better way.

My son stopped by, he'd been in court today, about a job issue. He really made my day, told me how much he appreciated my help recently. So glad I'm sober and in a position to be a source of support for him. Would not have been able to if I'd still been drinking, abusing alcohol.

Bloss
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Recovering

Now the one year sobriety is complete I feel that I need a new goal - so, my plan is to run a half marathon next April, with a 10K later this year.

I need to shift those pounds that accumulated first when I was drinking and then when I was eating too much sweet food after giving up alcohol.

Anybody here a runner? Tips welcome!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Thanks Manz! I agree, it IS exciting. I recently switched therapists and saw her for the first time last week. When I left I said "thanks..I'm excited!". lol It's true, tho. It'll be good, not easy but good, to get to know myself better and learn some stuff. I'm glad you're on this journey, too! Good to have company.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

good wishes on the marathon michael

and congrats on a year
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year, Michael! The races sound like a great plan. No help from me..I abhor running, lol..but there are a few runners in this thread to help ya out.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Way to go, Michael! Every time I set a new goal for myself, I'm reminded that recovery is the gift that just keeps on giving!

In addition to Frances and some of the runners here, I think there's actually a thread for SR runners around somewhere called "Kicking Asphalt." Me, I'm a bike guy. And a big fan of wheels in general.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Right on Michael I'm aiming for a half too. Running is the best drug I ever did.
The kicking asphalt thread is a great group, for encouragement in any of your fitness goals.
There is a healthy eating thread there too.

18 months for me today. Can't believe it was 2011 the last time I had a drink. Really unreal. I tried to quit for so many years and to finally get here and feel in a place where I'm confident and comfortable with being a non drinker, is just a miracle.

On the subject of therapy, I saw my psychiatrist today and he recommended I begin a serious study of yoga and buddhism! To focus my mind which is too active. It is cool because I have always wanted to study buddhism and get into yoga and here is my reason. Buddhism used to interest me spiritually but I was too 'distracted' for many years to pursue it or anything else really. Life is opening up.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Meditation is one way I'm dealing with anxiety instead of my old way (drinking)
Old 04-30-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

I'd like to try Meditation, have no idea where to start as I definatley could do with some extra help to relax at times.

Any recomendations?

bloss Bet it felt good to be appreciated.

Reading everyone's post has given me an incentive to set myself some new goals, something for myself. Not sure what but I definatley need a new hobby or project.
I've recently started to play the piano after many years and it's great but needing something else.

Nighty night from me
x
Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Nicky: you can find some info online, might be a few free guided sessions available. I'm trying to start my yoga practice up again, have slacked off this past year. I'd love to hear you play, bet you are fantastic.
Everyone have a good evening
Bloss
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Congrats IP!! That's fantastic about the 18 months! I am the worst meditator in the world. But I can safely say that Buddhist and Stoic concepts have transformed the way I view... well, just about everything. Profound stuff with very practical applications; I bet you're gonna love it.

Speaking of ancient texts, I am teaching myself to play Nick Lowe's "Cruel to be Kind" tonight. Some pop songs translate beautifully to a uke, and this is definitely shaping up to be one of them. Amazing what I can do now with a few free hours. While I was sucking down the booze, the booze was sucking up my time.

If you're taking requests Nicky, piano + meditation = The Beatles "Let it Be."

Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Big congratulations on 18 months IP
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Thank you R&A and Bloss!
A simple way to clear your mind and focus on breathing is to breathe in and out veeery slowly, counting up, 1-2-3....to 10 and back down again (internally), ten with each breath, pausing at the end of each breath in a very controlled way.
R&A, that is SO COOL, I wish so much I could play a musical instrument. Let It Be makes me cry. I think it is one of the tragedies of our time that John Lennon was killed. He (and Yoko) were really on to something.
I am going to find a buddhist temple in my neighbourhood and go to it-it is a start.
Let us know what you think of Caledonia. New goals are fun.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hey!

I love this talk of meditation.....I have been using some skills in this area for some time but am at a point where they need remmebering and redefining! I have used mindfulness as much as possible and it was a huge benefit in my early sobriety. Now I am viewing it as a way of being to enable me to enjoy life.

There are great resources online for guided mindfulness meditations(I even re recorded some for a good friend to use). Google away! also read a bit of Tich Naht Hahn....amazing ways of living in the now! I have just read "The Happiness Trap" and it is based around mindfulness practice and ACT therapy......and has been a revelation to me! Incredibly helpful..... Mirage you may like to check this out too.

OK...gotta run, dinners on the stove and Weeman will be home any minute. Take care Overs!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  
instant

I read the happiness trap as well Manz. I have problems putting things into practice although there are improvements. I still get a sense that there is a tightly wound scared little being inside me trapped in corner, jumping at shadows and responding in an agressive distrustful manner when approached. This little clown has major issues!!!however loosening up is easier said than done, when you are paranoid.