Notices

Class of January 2013 pt 6

Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hi class. Welcome to Macc and welcome back YTF. Just caught up on everyone's posts, sounds like for the most part everyone's doing well.
Allison- I got a DUI in my younger twenties about 7 years ago, and it sucked, but man they are putting you through a lot!!!! I liked the DUI classes, I didn't have to go to counseling but i did a few sessions anyway at my parents request. maybe it's different laws in different areas, plus like I said it was a while back and i think requirements are stricter. Even though I continued to drink many years after, I feel like I was a stronger person after going through that hell and it helped me grow. It will be over before you know it I hope!

I've been doing really well, happy, and life is good! My husband is leaving for 3 weeks out of town for work training (ill be able to see him weekends). In the past this would have been a reason to drink but I don't think I could have handled 3 weeks, the longest he's really been gone before is a few days. I am relieved that I already know I won't be drinking.

Wishing everyone the best!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Rain

I knew there was a good reason to go and live in Italy. There is only one time that I can celebrate rain and that is when we are playing rugby against the Aussies. They don't like getting their knees dirty!

I do remember many a time using the weather as an excuse to drink the day away.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hi Class, Just returned from the school run and 1 hour at the gym with my wife. even though i broke my back in my mid 20s I have always gone to the gym most days even drunk . Nowadays the gym smells different and looks different..... maybe its just me !!!!!
Keep strong Allison, you were the first person to welcome me to this website and for this i will be forever grateful. remember where you came from and just for today concentrate on your recovery. We are all so very proud of you..you give us strength and we give you support.

2 MONTHS NEXT WEEK
Macc

*****IF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS WAS THE ANSWER.....IT MUST HAVE BEEN A BLOODY STUPID QUESTION*****
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Sending you lots of support and positive vibes, Alison. You've got so much on your plate. But you won't drink and that's such a good thing. Stay strong and remember that this is only a temporary state of things for you.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - welcome Macc!!!

Reading through all the posts is inspiring, you are all coping really well and it is so nice to read that alot of you are not getting bombarded by the AVs!!

Alison - you surely are a busy bee but I am sure you will pick up lots of tips and precious information..your doing great...it reminds me a bit of that quote people always say to me when im feeling overwhelmed that "God only gives us situations we can handle" or something of that ilke..for us peeps its new I guess to "handle" them sober...thats our challenge Im guessing...keep up the good work Alison, you have come so far and had alot to deal with..really proud of you!! Hoping the work situ is easing a wee bit too..x

Well I would have been on day 51 too Woody if I hadnt had my blip on day 36 but 50 out of 51 is something I am proud of..that blip frightened the hell out of me. I remember buying and drinking 2 half bottles of vodka BUT the 3rd bottle my hubby found in the car with a third missing????? of course AV tried to tell me that hubby had planted it there!!!! Yeah, nice one AV, like hubby made me buy the previous two bottles...sent it right back scurrying to its nasty vast cesspit!! Like so many of you my AV has been pretty quiet which has been welcome...its like a wonderful glimpse of life in the "normal" lane. It was shouting yesterday, but it was more of a slow build up (like Bounced warned us of in an earlier post) its like it now tries to approach in a disguise, new tactics...but thats the beauty and freedom we get from SR..we can help each other recognise its cunning schemes...THANK you to all my classmates for your posts and words of wisdom..your the best.

Well today is a typical Brit weather day...overcast, grey...BUT I am sober and grateful for that..taking car in for a service.. SO.. bye for now..I wish you all a hassle free day...

Much love to each and every one of you...So proud to be part of such an awesome group xx
Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bounced View Post
Rain

I knew there was a good reason to go and live in Italy. There is only one time that I can celebrate rain and that is when we are playing rugby against the Aussies. They don't like getting their knees dirty!
Ahem, we Aussies are so much tougher than you think, bounced. You're with me, right, Dee and JamesA?

Beautiful weather here in Hobart. 30o in our cool southern state - unheard of! I'm sick again which is driving me to distraction. Dr has found a bacterial gastro infection, probably caught from drinking tap water in Vanuatu. I never drink tap water overseas but was told the water was fine... Oh well, should have stuck with wine (joke!). A few more of the horse pills I've been prescribed and I'll be back outdoors getting my knees dirty :>
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a sporty guy...but I seem to regularly get my knees dirty Reeny

D
Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Welcome Macc66 glad you joined us.
Totally stressed today I have now got meditation for dummies, stress for dummies and anxiety for dummies on my kindle and dvd for dummies dvd (still wrapped) edging my bet which will work lol just need to calm down enough to read them honestly think my head is going to explode.

Hope everyone is doing good today take care
Old 03-07-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Ar bless you Rosie, it will calm, the only thing I have learnt so far is when I feel my thoughts are out of control to close my eyes and breathe in and out through my nose and to think about how each breath feels if your mind wanders bring it back to your nose and breathing

It helps calm me real quick and also then to look and think about what's around you that are real and in the here and now, like the sound of the wind blowing past, the cars driving through.

Monday was my manic day, everything was making me spin out it was a awful feeling not being in control of my thoughts, like you I thought I have to force myself to do something about this as I'm sure now my body is coping being sober but my mind wont.

I sat on my hubby's multi gym (another story) in the living room and started pushing at the weights and also most immediately I felt better my thoughts had change from the repetitive negative thoughts to something else, I could not believe it, while I was still pushing away I tried my hardest to think about those negative thoughts and my brain would not allow it, must have something to do with all those exercise endorphins. So I will let my hubby keep it in the living room for the time being and each time my head goes nuts I'll push away. I might end up with arms like arnold schwarzenegger just with a peaceful mind.

Try something rosie, but only small steps at a time or it will be all to much and your likely not to do anything.

And if all else fails there is always chocolate

xxx
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the support and kind words everyone – Carlotta, Dee, Nel, Siesta, Woodhead, Up, Hike, Greensleeves, Lunetta, Mac, Reeny, Serenity, Rosie, Bounced and all… It really means a lot to me to have all of you in my corner. I really don’t want to let any of you down. I try not to think too far ahead, but tomorrow is day 50 and by God I’m gonna make it!

I’m feeling a little calmer today about all the appointments. I did a little thinking about how I can switch some things around and I’m sure I can make it work. I may have to use a little of my vacation time at work, but as someone pointed out to me – that’s what it’s there for. If I need to take a few half days to fit in everything, so be it, and I am just grateful I have a job where I can take time off if needed. I just need to take it one day at a time and break it down into manageable chunks.

Really, I’m more worried right now that I will go back to smoking. Last night a cigarette sounded really, really good. I’m just worried I will crack sometime soon with everything going on. It’s a lot better than having a drink, but still not something I want to be doing. I’m over 2 months now, I hate to lose all that non-smoking time. But when I feel that stress really building up, it’s hard to resist.

So I don’t know if anyone saw my post on the Newcomers board – I had an old user name from years ago when I used to post about my dad’s drinking. When I decided to come back I couldn’t remember the password and so just created a new name. Something made me look up my old posts yesterday and I found one where I talk about my own drinking. It was written over 4 years ago, and it’s basically like I could have written it 2 months ago. It’s crazy to me – I had the insight then to know I had problems, and yet denial let me just keep on drinking and got me where I am now. It was really helpful for me to see that, and really powerful just how strong denial can be. Like blinders.

Nel – you are right about the breathing, I try to focus on my breathing when I’m in the car, partly because I’m usually a little stressed in the car, and partly because no one else can listen to me huffing and puffing!

Woodhead – “liver holiday” – love it, I am DEFINITELY going to use that!!

Hang in there everyone!

Love you all, Alison
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Alison, when my schedule is too crowded I just get through one activity at a time and congratulate myself on another notch on my belt. Every step is another notch on my belt, and I am always so delighted to go to sleep at night! God never gives us more than we can handle with his grace.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Hi January, looks like I have some catching up to do. Been at home sick, but on the mend. Nothing like sleeping 8 hours and feeling lousy anyway, but: 62 days today

Gilmer I hear you on wasting time. If I'm nothing but industrious, it will be a long time before my life is out of balance. I wish I were a workaholic, visible changes might surface.

Reeny - i don't get many drinking invites as my reputation is well known around here, but when it comes up... so far I've gotten by with too tired, next time, have to drive... i'm not very original but i've steered around it so far. I like Carlotta's suggestion of a counter-offer, movie or whatever.

woodhead - congrats on fifty-something, that's great. Lisa, right behind you. Weird about phantom hangover! Just a dream, just a dream.

Dorris - sounds like an intense Monday, hope it slowed down for you. You reminded me my loans start repayment this month. Awesome

Nel, that snow should be melting soon. I won't miss it.

half - thanks for posting, I like your overview look, and you are sober most of the time. If that's enough, you don't have to shoe-horn yourself into 100% total abstinence. For me, I think that's how it has to be, but I would not assume that is the only acceptable plan. I hope you settle down on whatever works for you. Stick around, you can make fun of me

bounced - glad you got the good bill of health, and great you have the gratitude to see you're a little bit lucky for it.

So many pages to re-read, but I will check in with y'all later. Have a good day.

sober1ck
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Congrats on 62 days sober1ck!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Good morning class glad to see everyone is doing better... Alison, I have to take time to breath because if I don't I hyperventilate...I notice several years ago when I took a deep breath my hands would get this feeling of being pricked by needles, a hard tingling sensation then later my lips would feel the same and I always felt like I could be on the brink of passing out. I just felt so awful and scared but I knew I couldn't get sick, I had my mom to care for. This all started when my mom got sick till about a year or so after she passed. They ran some test and concluded it was my breathing due to the stress. So now when I start to feel tingling sensation in my lips I know I need to breath. I really make a conscious effort to take several deep breaths a day because I just felt awful and scared like that. Its amazing how stress can work on your body, I didn't even feel stress but I guess I was. I was worried about my mom and I just wanted her to get better...The lady that did the test was so sweet she asked if I had any stress I told her everything that had happen, my mom passed, my aunt passed(my moms sister they died 13 days apart, they were so close in life) then my husband fill broke his neck and back. and a few other things with family. She said honey your not breathing you have got to breath and explained everything, she was so kind....I'll never forget her kindness...So anyways that was something I learned so now I am always breathing deep, I feel much better when I do. Sorry to rattle on....I hope everyone has a great Thursday, Sober1ck I am looking forward to Sunday they said 60 's!!!!!..I hope it does not change ...Dorris, I love your avatar been meaning to tell you that
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Greetings January, again, just trying to catch up...

aloha - I have to say, I've been kind of a bum on meetings. This past Tuesday, lots of snow, so great excuse to stay home. Saturday before that, oops, my sponsor was sick, so I'll be "sick" too. Anyway, you're right: it's about not drinking today. Anyone who thinks I'm a dry drunk will get my smile and thank you, but between you and me, i'll be thinking bite me

Carlotta, I agree that being busy goes a long way to shutting up AV, and for now I'm also grateful to have a lot going on. I'll unload some personal baggage when I don't have to run so fast, although my sponsor is starting to nudge, gently for now.

Rosie - thanks, I feel better in my brain, but my head got all stuffed up with mucous. Anyway, might as well get a good DVD player, that media isn't going away real soon and it's almost like they can't give them away, many good deals out there. Hope you got it all hooked up.

ytf - hi there, good to see ya!

Alison - congrats I guess that's 49 days today, hope tacos and b-ball worked out for you.

melacole - congrats that you are expecting and I hope things settle down

siesta - 2 months woo-hoo! i hear you, would be nice in a way if i didn't have to deal... but my escapes weren't yielding much. My life is a little stalled anyway without drinking... I'm trying to transition somehow into a faster rhythm of checking things off the list without looking for a break or reward... I just don't want to go backwards

hi blond, hope you stick around. You can always find a few new places to post at the same time, if that works.

Alison, did you win the powerball? You wouldn't hold out on us, right

Dorris, this is for you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
laundry-cp.jpg (22.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Did NOT win Powerball, boohoo, but there's always next time!!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Allison - you are handling it GREAT! You will find time and move things around, I had to do the same. And then once the year is over you will have SO MUCH free time! But then I actually missed some of the court-mandated stuff! (Though the between meeting boredom got me addicted to some video games on my cell phone!)

Macc - that's a great one about the Gym! I remember going to they gym after smoking and drinking and people would look at me and even move away! I was so indignant at them: "who are they!?" Now I'm the same way, but more accepting - that stuff smells gross in the gym!

To those who have faltered here and there, like me - I think I've finally concluded the joy of not even being tempted offsets the short joy of having the drink. So I won't say what day I'm on until I'm back up to 15!

Have a great day ya'll!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunetta View Post
Even though I continued to drink many years after, I feel like I was a stronger person after going through that hell and it helped me grow. It will be over before you know it I hope!
Thanks for sharing about that, it really describes me. Mine wasn't so long ago, so I'm still dealing with little after shocks and the financial consequences. Like you, I wasn't done just because I had that big call to attention. Today, I know way more than I ever wanted to about how that works, and what it costs, and I do believe it helped me. Even having that stupid BAIID in the car informed me of things I really was totally clueless about, for instance, (duh) if you drink a lot the night before, you will only be less drunk in the morning, not sober.

I don't know how I made it so far chronologically while being oblivious to such basic facts.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

WTG on day 62 Sober1ck...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Some may find it obnoxious, if you don't want to be mentioned let me know... otherwise, here is remembering January posters current, lurking, passed AFAIK. If I missed you let me know that too.

To sobrietygrl, lindseym, ruffian, blond, siesta, akberry, woodhead, lunetta, escapist, smittybitty, dorris, lizg, peacefulrain, dorothyp, whodey, bounced, peanutbuttercup, nel, rosie, reeny, newlife, yrmsunshine, carlotta, yestofreedom, jamesa, alison, like2h, 9, shapeup, scottwi, serenity, bunny, greensleeves, melacole, versus, macc, half, lisamum, raja, craneman, alohaguy, and gilmer

Thanks for your thoughts, posts, laughs, and encouragement.