Notices

"30 Days and Under Part 4"... Come & encourage them!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Aems View Post
I don't abuse the Xanax, I've used it for several years for sleep and have been on a low dose of 0.5 mg once an evening and never at any other time during the day.
Originally Posted by HarleyDad View Post
A couple of years ago when I tried to quite drinking my Doctor gave me Xanax. However I just used 1/2 tab if I didn't sleep well the night before. It usually expired before I finished the bottle.
Welcome Aems and Hi HarleyDad -- your comments on Xanax are interesting. I've NEVER been prescribed a drug that had potential for even mild abuse that I didn't abuse. I'm not addicted to any pills but if they're in the house, I'll eat them. Seeing my doc for first physical in a decade soon, having been wanting to ask him about something for my anxiety but ....

Is there a nonabuse-able drug that works w/anxiety, or is that called meditation?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

So I’ve been at this for a couple of years, but earnestly since July. I’ve made it to 30 days and even to 85 days, but I’ve had my share of slips. This time, I am on day 12 – which means I had a sober new year’s eve!

Someone asked if it’s ok to have one beer. In my experience that is food for the Addictive Voice. Sure, I might be fine that one event with one beer (wine), but my AV was on from that night forward. And it seems to take me a long time to “shut it up” again. My AV was very loud last night, but I didn’t give in.

Good luck to all of you struggling to sleep. I remember it being very difficult for a few weeks, but eventually I got back to a normal sleep pattern. What worked best for me was sleepy time hot tea and pushing through it…staring at the ceiling when necessary. Looks like I am lucky that my recent slip did not put me back into insomnia.

Wifi, my heart truly aches for you. Of course it is best to stay united as parents, but I might cave in like your wife. Yea, not good. I will pray for all 3 of you…

Soberjim and WWG…good to see you here.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Alice, I have my fingers and toes crossed for you, lets hope your mum is right. Things do have a way of working out. (( ))

Hi Scoob and welcome to the under 30's, you've joined a good group here and you'll get lots of support. Well done on getting to day 10, that is really good. Take it a day at a time, an hour at a time if need be, look after yourself and keep your mind occupied. You can do this and you're not going to be doing it alone. Stick close and keep reading and posting.

HI again Aems, I've never actually used anything like that but I can empathise with you, an addiction is an addiction regardless. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and your doing things properly. Again, Like I tell everyone else, look after yourself and stay close, we're all here for you.

Hi Harley, some wise words there for you and I hope you have a better sleep tonight.

I'll be back later no doubt.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Thanks Benice...Glad you are on day 12...

Jim
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Welcome Aems and Hi HarleyDad -- your comments on Xanax are interesting. I've NEVER been prescribed a drug that had potential for even mild abuse that I didn't abuse. I'm not addicted to any pills but if they're in the house, I'll eat them. Seeing my doc for first physical in a decade soon, having been wanting to ask him about something for my anxiety but ....

Is there a nonabuse-able drug that works w/anxiety, or is that called meditation?
Personally, I can't even imagine using Xanax in a recreational way. I mean.....holy sh1t....why? But that's just me so it's not a medication I have abused. There are plenty of herbs that help with anxirety. Just Google it online.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Aems View Post
Personally, I can't even imagine using Xanax in a recreational way. I mean.....holy sh1t....why? But that's just me so it's not a medication I have abused.
Here are 3 easy ways to abuse a prescription drug: 1) take it when it's not medically indicated, 2) take more than is recommended, 3) mix it w/alcohol. As for why, who needs a reason?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Quick check in... My phone app says I have 30 days but honestly it must be counting the day I last drank which I don't count because when I count days on the calender I come up with 29... Either way I'm close...

zoobon - I hope you rest better soon. Good sleep is very important... Someone pointed out that no one ever died because of insomnia, however a couple of years ago I went through something that was diagnosed as phychosis due to chronic insomnia... It was almost like a bipolar manic episode though I have never had any other episodes other than twice after quitting all drugs and alcohol cold turkey and ended up staying up for days at a time and going somewhat looney. I ended up being hospitalized for it so it can be serious. I am still on one prescribed medication for sleep which I was almost tapered off of when I relapsed this last time (more on that in a bit)... Anyhow my point is that for me at least sleep is very important to my mental health...

SafeandSound - Good to hear from you!!

Courage2 - I hope things are well. All I would say in regards to sleep medication is stay away from the benzos (Xanex, Valium, Klonopin, etc..). Those are highly addictive and hard to kick. I know there is some newer non-addictive medications for anxiety, consult with your doctor...

benice - Congrats on day 12 and thanks for your kind words. Stay strong you can do this!!!

SoberJim - I hope things are well!

Grace - I am doing OK. Thanks for asking! You sound good, and it's always great to hear from you!

Scoob720 - Welcome on congrats on 10 days!!! Keep up the good work!

Aems - Thanks for the info. I have a relative that is hooked on those two drugs and more... We seem to be a medicated society these days... I was having extremely bad anxiety/insomnia last year and was prescribed klonopin for sleep. I too did the dr. supervised taper plan and was almost off them when I relapsed. Now I am just trying to get a little sobriety under my belt before I attempt to wean off the Klonopin again. I am totally anti-medication so I know how you feel. I wish I would have done my homework on benzo's before I let my doctor prescribe them but that's water under the bridge... In any case we are here for you!!! Stay with us and post often!

AliceTW - Sorry to hear about the tax thing... I hope this all works out for you!

As far as the home front goes, my wife was recently injured (kicked by a horse) and still has my oldest coming over to help her feed the horses and clean stalls. After that he leaves. Hopefully this will not turn into a habit as I told her she is sending mixed messages to him but for now I just don't need another battle... As long as he is not staying at the house he at least knows where I stand.

Big shout out to everyone else!!! I hope everyone has a safe and sober day!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Clarification

Thought I should clarify what I said about Xanax earlier.

My doctor prescribed it for ocasional use when I quit drinking to take the edge off of my agitation. It was really bad, just one word and it would set me off, which wasn't good at work. My works mates started to talk about me and what a miserable shite I was. So I only used it then when I felt I couldn't control my temper.

But then I discovered it helped me sleep much better because i'm a real crank with not enough sleep. Like someone said earlier, I need my sleep for my mental health.

But after getting past the 30 days I now sleep very well and I have returned to my normal self which I'm sure my workmates are happy for.

This is what you have to look forward to.. better sleep and being a nicer person.

C
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Still here on day 35...Sorry I ain't posted much my new job is taking up lots of my time....Keep up the good work guys......
Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Hi Courage and Benice, I somehow missed your post earlier.

Hi Jim, hope all is good with you.

Wifi, well done on 30 days, be it today or tomorrow, you've done so well. Keep at it, walking the good walk.

See you later.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi wifi, 29 or 30 days, you're doing great! Try not to let work stress you out. I don't think I've ever heard of someone being fired for their sobriety. Hope your wife's injury mends fast! As for her & your son, you can't fight every battle. Either him visiting to help w/the horses will work out, or it won't, and then you'll deal w/that when it comes. Easy does it!

Harleydad, no clarification needed. We each have our own issues. I just needed to say that I for one know I would instantly abuse Xanax if ever prescribed it. Last time somebody gave me a handful of Xanax, I lost one, and spent 1/2 hour crawling around looking for it. I'm worried about my upcoming appt w/my doc because a) I intend to tell him about my alcohol abuse, and b) I'm afraid he'll offer me drugs.

Hi Grace, Soberjim, Benice, Stevie, & Aems. Hope you all & everyone else on this thread are having a good day! I <3 undies!

--
Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations wifi

Courage - if your Dr suggests medication you don't have to take it... I think it would be good to touch base tho?

And...as always with discussions on sleeping and various remedies, I believe it really is best to check with your Dr - simply because what's worked for others may not work, or may not be suitable for you.

D
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Hey folks, a quick check in before work. Feeling good about today. Friday
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks Dee.

If my doctor suggests benzos I'll try to be strong and tell him not to write a scrip. But it's just one more of those things I'd rather not have to face.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Just checking you all out before bed.

Wifi, I hope your wife wasn't too badly injured by the horse kick. I didn't notice that bit earlier, but I was in work and it's hard trying to read everything secretly! Play it by ear on the home front, as you have been doing and hopefully your son will come to his senses when he starts missing the home comforts.

Steve, just post when you can, the main thing is you're sober and you have a job, yay.

Courage I went to the Doctors with my insomnia and anxiety and he gave me mertazapine, I took them for a week then stopped as I didn't like how they made me feel, groggy all the time and I couldn't wake up. So I don't take anything, don't want to swap one addiction for another. My insomnia has improved vastly over the last couple of months and I have more good nights now than bad and when I do sleep, I sleep for England! So things do get better.

Really happy to hear you're feeling good Alice and I hope you have a great day today.

With that I'll see you all sometime tomorrow.

Sleep well
Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's best to be honest courage - tell him/her you've never met a drug you didn't like.

I had to - it was humiliating at the time but I'm so glad I did.

Night Grace

D
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am so glad to be here. Hope everyone can sleep well tonight. I too had problems. Not falling asleep, but waking in the middle of the night. It was impossible to fall back asleep but I am doing much better now.

Scoob
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Red face only 3rd day today

hi everyone iv tried quite a many times to quit which i have done but staying sober only lasted a 2 months so here i am going for it again i wish you all the best and let this be a great new year for us all.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

And i just cant sleep at all.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome willpower

D