Notices

Class of January 2013

Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

welcome! stillhere
Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

profound. thank you. "not trying to fix how i feel" spoke to me deeply.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

There are so many members in this group so I will just say hi to everyone.

Day 5 nailed today.

I don't know about everyone else but these days are flying by for me. Keep it going January class, we can do this!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Day 5 over and done with....... Yay!!

I'm loving my sober date this time round it's great to hear from so many of you going through this at the same pace as myself.

Roll on day 6
Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Day 9. Yey! Cant wait to post day 10. Stay strong everyone!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm having trouble keeping up with this thread so haven't been posting much sorry.

Day 6 I think it is? Feel like all my symptoms have come back the same as when I gave up the benzos and opiates a few weeks ago. Never classing myself as an alcoholic, i am surprised its had this much of an effect on me.

Spending the next few days in hospital with my daughter is going to be tough. Last time I did that was a couple of months ago and I was a total mess on pills. I'm worried about what's written in our hospital notes.

Sorry I haven't commented on anyone else's posts, having trouble focussing with this splitting headache. Will try to read a bit better later.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

I gotta say, this is my first weekend watching football that I am not drunk off my rocker...this is a good feeling....so many things that most take for granted that I am starting to see without booze....gotta keep this up....
Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SIPD View Post
I gotta say, this is my first weekend watching football that I am not drunk off my rocker...this is a good feeling....so many things that most take for granted that I am starting to see without booze....gotta keep this up....
That's great!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

stayed up so late last night that i was so tired today but better tired than hungover.
i realized this happened when i got sober last time.
cold sweats, itchiness( thought there was bed bugs or something) didnt and still dont really know side effects of detoxing.

i found playing my music really loud when passing the liquor store helped.

there are so many in this country.

it will always face us wherever we look.

but its either you smoke or u dont, right?
you drink or you dont.
for me it cant be in between anymore.

im rambling. thanks for reading.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Count me in! I'm a newbie......................
Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Day 3.

Today, I was thinking about how often in the past I have had the eternal debate--am I or am I not an alcoholic? In my mind, for years and years, I have thought that if I was an alcoholic, then of course I should quit, but if I was not then I shouldn't "have to" quit. I never truly asked myself why I cared about --why I "protected"-- the drinking so much. Why did I never say that even if I was not in trouble, it would be healthier to quit, or it might help me lose a few pounds, or it might help me concentrate better at work, or save money, or just have time for a new hobby? I do believe now that I am an alcoholic, but I also now am starting to understand that even if I'm not an alcoholic, that's not a very good reason to drink anyway.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Versus, thanks for your post and I am glad you are here. It sounds like we have some similar patterns. Glad to know there is someone to share that with, you know? I have also pretended to be a non-drinker at times only to go home to my wine (difference being that I would drink with my husband and we both don't really have other friends--we are each others' secret daily drinking buddies). Anyway, welcome, and I have confidence we can do this. It really helps to have support.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Fdm

Originally Posted by HopingForZen View Post
Day 3.

Today, I was thinking about how often in the past I have had the eternal debate--am I or am I not an alcoholic? In my mind, for years and years, I have thought that if I was an alcoholic, then of course I should quit, but if I was not then I shouldn't "have to" quit. I never truly asked myself why I cared about --why I "protected"-- the drinking so much. Why did I never say that even if I was not in trouble, it would be healthier to quit, or it might help me lose a few pounds, or it might help me concentrate better at work, or save money, or just have time for a new hobby? I do believe now that I am an alcoholic, but I also now am starting to understand that even if I'm not an alcoholic, that's not a very good reason to drink anyway.
Excellent post.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Thanks to so many: Dee74, gsp0050, Reeny, ThursdayNight, fdm -
for encouragement through first and second "first days" - now it's the "first" 3rd day -
and the difficulty is behind - went to a wine tasting with GF and then turned down
the offered red wine - and at the vineyard it gave me such a sense of power AND
peace to me to be able to say no, and drive us all safely home. Now listening to
Trace Adkins, feeling that power and peace of not drinking - is making me feel
emotional in a nice way, just like the wonderful support has made me feel the
same way over the past few days.

Another wonderful night and day to y'all, the sleep gets better and better with each
night, more and more delicious every night . . .

K
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Fdm

Way to go blondsober! I'll say a little prayer for you tonight!

I'll also pray for everyone else in our group for resolve and peace.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

I suck. I've been drinking.... I want to stop so badly, but I just can't figure out how to do it. Sigh. I so badly want to say in the future that I stopped drinking in January 2013.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
I suck. I've been drinking.... I want to stop so badly, but I just can't figure out how to do it. Sigh. I so badly want to say in the future that I stopped drinking in January 2013.
You don't suck. We've all been drinking (just maybe not today, but how many hundreds of times before?). That's why we're here. There's lots of January left, and all you have to do right this minute is just not drink until tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Citrus, I'm right there with you
Tomorrow is a new day...let's make it a sober one! Don't beat yourself up. Just keep trying. Eventually we will get there...we WILL remain sober!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Yep - tomorrow's a new day - I lost my first 2nd day because I drank again, so maybe you can cut it back gradually . . . mix it up with some tea or fruit juice until you down to an amount that won't make it hard to sleep . . . I went from 20 drinks to 16 to 4 then zero - each step was hard, but 20 to 0 is just about impossible.

Give yourself credit for the strength it took to take each step.

You'll do it.

K
Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Administrator

What can you add to what you've been doing citrus (and mel girl)?

more to the point I guess - what are you guys prepared to do above and beyond what you're doing now?

if sleepings a problem...I'd consider seeing a Dr rather than drinking again...tapering not only didn't happen for me, it was tortuous trying.

D