Notices

Class of January 2013

Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Just joined SR last night. Now 4 days sober and had my first half decent sleep last night since I stopped. Woke up full of hope. Thanks for the great support you guys provide.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome reeny and newatthis

I hope everyone has a happy safe and sober weekend - we can do this!

D
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Evening all. Hope everyone's Friday's going ok. My day 2 done and dusted. Horrible sleep last night. Woke up five times covered in sweat and shaking. Spent the best part of today fighting with my folks which is hard when I'm still feeling like crap but I've only myself to blame ! Doing a family session with my psychologist next week so hopefully that'll help. And writing everything down in preparation for it is definitely helping me to get things clearer in my head.

Haven't caught up on everyone's posts yet but I hope you all have a good sober Friday night x
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

3rd day sober and first Friday night without a drink or cigarette in over 10 years. The crazy thing is, im only 26. Staying in tonight just reading books, watching Netflix and taking inventory of myself.

What you guys do on weekends since my consisted of Scotch and tricking on women?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Hey Guys! Just wanted to give a shout out and say you are all doing G-R-E-A-T !!! Keep going, you won't regret it
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

worked late, went to gym, watching films, on here, keeping busy and distracted.
(no one is at the gym late on a friday night here; almost only one)
feel better today after s few days sober.
could hardly talk on phone today but managed to work well better than the last week.
happy to know i will b able to meet my friend for coffee in morning and not hungover in a paranoid anxious state.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Hello to all in the Class Of January!!! Still very anxious today. Will start to walk this weekend to deal with that. A good workout does help when I do it. Lets all stick together this weekend.....I know we can do this.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post

I'd like to find a hypnotist to hypnotize me into believing that wine tastes like bile. I know that's gross, but I think it would be helpful.
Hey, this is an interesting idea. I heard of a hypnotist who would subliminally convince people to think of nothing but a huge pile of blubbery fat whenever they craved their favorite comfort food, for weight loss of course. Couldn't hurt to do a little meditation of a similar sort to retrain the mind. "Wine tastes like bile....Wine tastes like bile....Wine tastes like bile....".
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Hello, class of January. I would love to be permanently linked to you all here, with complete follow-thru. I just want to be healthy and sane again.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

End of day 3 for me. Im hoping for a good nights sleep. Good job everyone!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Welcome to the newbies that joined today!

For me, I think the weekend will actually be easier than getting through the work week. Wine after work was my habit. The weekend poses a lesser challenge to stay sober because there's not that robotic habit of walking in the door and grabbing a wine glass.

I'm gonna stock up on ginger ale and things to pour into a wine glass so I'm prepared for next week.

Cooking pasta (again) now. I often confuse hunger or sleepiness with wanting alcohol. I always feel better (less edgy) after eating.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DG

D
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Well what do you know...I screwed up and had a bottle of wine! Thought I could have a glass or two. What a joke! I feel like the family joke! Kids know I drink (13,12,8) and hubby knows (and doesn't like it). But for some reason I still drink. What will it take to make me stop????
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Even though I've not been a huge volume drinker (lately--I was years ago but have "managed" my habit down to a chronic but lower volume problem), each time I quit for a few days my withdrawal symptoms are getting noticeably worse. That's scary to me. As if I'm about to fall off a cliff if I don't stop this.

And lately my oldest son has started emulating his "sophisticated" mommy with wine glass in hand (he will pour juice or soda into a stemmed glass with relish and clink my glass in a toast). I don't want my boys mistaking my problems for sophistication or fun.

End of Day 2. I need a good night's sleep and I'm looking forward to one!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melanomagirl View Post
Well what do you know...I screwed up and had a bottle of wine! Thought I could have a glass or two. What a joke! I feel like the family joke! Kids know I drink (13,12,8) and hubby knows (and doesn't like it). But for some reason I still drink. What will it take to make me stop????
I think we need to concentrate on our motivation for quitting. Instead of focusing on what it will take to stop, it might be better to focus on why we want to stop. We all have our different reasons for wanting to quit, but I think we all know deep down inside that our lives will actually be better without alcohol.

I know, absolutely, that I will be happier if I break this habit. I drink much less than I used to, but I still drink (before January 1st, that is). I truly believe that once I break the cycle of the habit of alcohol, I won't feel like I'm depriving myself by not having it.

That's my hope, anyway.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Tonight was the first night since Nov 22 that I said screw it and drank. I drank alone and for no good reason! I just wanted my wine buzz. And here I am totally regretting it. I HAVE to make it work this time. I just need a program or something. I keep expecting change but I'm not doing anything differently...insanity!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

What are some online programs to work??
Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think TN's post was very good MelGirl.

D
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

I just want to encourage you guys! I'm from the January class of 2012. Quitting drinking was the hardest thing I've ever done but so indescribably worth it.

I came here broken, depressed, ashamed, humiliated.
I found hope & strength from others here & my classmates.

The main thing I did was promise myself I would do whatever it took to get sober be it AA, AVRT, counseling, rehab, etc.
alcohol was no longer an option for me EVER & I was cool with it.
I just had to put one foot in front of the other, took care of me, treated myself like I had a nasty flu, ate healthy, took vitamins, lived on SR.
Day by day, it added up.

You can do this, just don't ever give up. I rode the merry go round for way too long. Yet I've been off almost a year. It does get better. It sucks at first but you couldn't pay me to go back to that prison of pain again. I'm free.
You can be too.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Mel, have you had a look at SMART Recovery? That forum boasts a "toolbox" that has articles and worksheets that you might find helpful. In addition, they have a couple of varieties of online meetings.

Another option if you haven't found it already is to scroll down on the forums page to the Secular Connections area and read about AVRT. That approach is not a program, it's more like... reorienting your perspective.

Both of those places might offer some help for you. They do for me. There are others as well, I'm just not familiar with them.