Notices

Class Of September 2012 Part 2

Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Hi guys... joining the thread Day 5 almost under my belt... just posting here and then I'm going to go to bed.

Yesterday, day 4, I had a big victory. The train ride home from work is a HUGE trigger for me, I think I would almost say my biggest one. I used to do one of two things every single night, often both:

1. Get to the station early and hit the bar for a couple drinks before boarding, AND/OR
2. Get a big double G&T to drink on the way home. (I am a woman, and of only average-ish size, so by the time I drank a double G&T over the course of an hour's train ride, that was a serious "jump start" to my evening of drinking. It also cost me $12 every day.)

Last night, due to wonky timing with a work event I'd had to attend, I ended up getting to the train station with a full 45 minutes before my train. Normally, I'd have said "Perfect!" and headed straight for the bar. But last night my homing instinct kicked in, and I knew with 100% certainty that if I stayed in that station, I was going to drink.

I saw a train headed for a nearby town that was boarding, and was about to leave in 5 minutes. Instead of waiting for my direct train, I got on that one, and took a taxi home from there.

I ended up getting home probably an hour earlier than I otherwise would have, not to mention still sober. Yes I forked over a little extra money for the cab ride, but that's nothing compared to what the costs of not doing it probably would have been.

Stay sober all. See you soon.

SBTS
Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Welcome Soberbythesea! Congrats on Day 5....it's an almost...but sounds like you are there!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome SBTS

Groder, taking Ambien and alcohol is pretty dangerous - many people have dome some pretty mad stuff blacked out on that combo.

I'm not surprised she's focusing on that, especially as, from your post, it seems like she doesn't know the full extent of your drinking?

D
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post
Hi guys... joining the thread Day 5 almost under my belt... just posting here and then I'm going to go to bed.

Yesterday, day 4, I had a big victory. The train ride home from work is a HUGE trigger for me, I think I would almost say my biggest one. I used to do one of two things every single night, often both:

1. Get to the station early and hit the bar for a couple drinks before boarding, AND/OR
2. Get a big double G&T to drink on the way home. (I am a woman, and of only average-ish size, so by the time I drank a double G&T over the course of an hour's train ride, that was a serious "jump start" to my evening of drinking. It also cost me $12 every day.)

Last night, due to wonky timing with a work event I'd had to attend, I ended up getting to the train station with a full 45 minutes before my train. Normally, I'd have said "Perfect!" and headed straight for the bar. But last night my homing instinct kicked in, and I knew with 100% certainty that if I stayed in that station, I was going to drink.

I saw a train headed for a nearby town that was boarding, and was about to leave in 5 minutes. Instead of waiting for my direct train, I got on that one, and took a taxi home from there.

I ended up getting home probably an hour earlier than I otherwise would have, not to mention still sober. Yes I forked over a little extra money for the cab ride, but that's nothing compared to what the costs of not doing it probably would have been.

Stay sober all. See you soon.

SBTS
Well done, that's quite inspiring
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too Martin

D
Old 09-12-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adaline View Post

I Have been dependent/ addicted on The painkiller Tramadol for 4 years now.

I'm so scared of running out cos of the withdrawal.
Hi Adaline,

If you have a job, you can contact your employer's employee assistance program confidentially. They will direct you to the process for filing a claim for short term disability and seeking help with your chemical dependency. Under FMLA and other federal laws, you are entitled to leave, job protection and privacy while you seek assistance.

If you do not have a job or EAP, look for a hospital or doctor specializing in addiction treatment. They will assess your condition, decide whether to keep you for de-toxiification or treat you as an outpatient, then help you get started in recovery. The treatment group gives you access to professional counseling along with a peer mechanism that gives you support and a little bit of accountability.

I started outpatient treatment recently and I have three days sober after ten years of drinking almost daily. I had no idea how to start stopping or even if it would be safe, but now I am on my way.

Best of luck to you.

Mark
Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee. I've told my therapist about the way I drank in the past, but I hadn't been drinking while seeing her for the last few months so it's not a current issue for her. I did describe the whole ugly, drunken night. It was more like I was trying to convince her I have a drinking problem, but she would go back to the blackout.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  
Administrator

oh Ok - sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick
is she an addictions counsellor?

D
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Dee - do you ever sleep?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Big craving today. Was doing fine until a friend showed up in town and wanted me to join her and another friend for a drink. I agonized over going and drinking pop or whatever, realized I would most likely have a "real" drink instead, so made up an excuse and got my butt to an AA meeting. Really got mad that I just couldn't go have a darn drink with my friends. But I'm on day 9, don't want to go thru those 9 days again.
Congrats all others who resisted temptation today. You keep me strong. Good luck and good night my friends.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Good job SoberSun! Congrats on being on day 9. And glad you resisted temptation. Nobody ever said this was going to be easy. I'm so glad every one is here. It's nice to be understood.
Sleep well!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I do...but it's not nighttime here yet

D
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
LOL I do...but it's not nighttime here yet

D
Dee I am thinking of you like a big spirit in the sky....you are always here at any hour for us struggling souls. Thank you for everything you put into this site every day.

Awesome job SBTS on taking the A train home!!

Day 5 coming to a close. Very very exciting.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Morning everyone, hope you're all well!

Day 12,

At work now will check in later :-) have a great day X
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Jimuk, congrats on Day 12. I was reading your post about your son yesterday. My parents are both alcoholics. My dad spent a few years in AA. My mum has never realised she has a problem. Despite all this and a good few 'hairy' scenes when I was a kid and older, I still have a good relationship with them both. Kids still love their parents so I hope you don't agonise too much.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

It is day 4 for me. Feel pretty good now after Sunday, which was hopefully my last binge.

I also smoked a couple of cigarettes, usually before bed. I have given those up along with binge drinking (today is day 2 though, I had a couple to get me to sleep with the hangover )

Up until about two years ago I was doing great in terms of my health, didn't drink or smoke anything, I looked great, I lifted weights regularly. Then something happened which meant I stopped the weights (but would try to start again and fail) and about 18 months ago I started binge drinking. Now I've decided that enough is enough I hope I stay motivated to start lifting weights again. I am hoping to start tomorrow. I'm going to save all my money until the end of the month and if I am still drink and smoke free, I will allow myself to buy something nice.

Sorry for blabbering on haha, just thought I'd say a bit about myself.

Good luck everyone
Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Hi Eli, I hope your well today! Thank you for for kind words. I had a little chat with my son, tried to explain that we had stopped going to the pub to save money to give us more funds for family fun together. He was great and said I'm funny when I'm drunk but he would rather do other things than go to the pub. He then said you're the best daddy in the world, I love you so much. I can't tell you how great that felt, he really is special to me. So the ball is in my court, Its my duty to stay sober and not let him or me down again.

I also think he knows I have a problem with drink even at his young age.

Have a great day Elihoping. :-)
Old 09-13-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Hi Martin, welcome to September class :-). I'm also thinking of joining a gym and weight training. Glad you're here my friend.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:42 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Hi Martin, welcome to September class :-). I'm also thinking of joining a gym and weight training. Glad you're here my friend.
Thanks mate. Definitely do it, it's a good idea
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

I could do with a training partner, not in Dorset are you? :-D