Thanks, pbc..I appreciate the offer.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations mirage

D
Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mr. Dee. BIG thanks to you for all your sound advice, since the start.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Morning friends!

Whoo hoo on one week PBC!

Sending strong vibes for your Indiana trip Mirage.

I really like the One Day at a Time idea WITHIN a larger purpose. Baby steps take us to big goals.

Did I tell you I have a new big goal? I'm doing an 18 mile race in early October. I'm doing it as a training run to support friends who will be doing the NYC Marathon a month later. It's at the beach and I'm thinking about it as a fun stretch goal. I'll be starting to crank up my weekend long run mileage soon....we'll see how my body likes it. If my body says, Uh No, then I can dial back. I have no desire to do a full marathon, but an 18 mile goal might be fun. We'll see.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just sit here flappin' my gums...you guys do all the work, mirage

D
Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Haha, but you have healthy gums.

Great goal, frances! Sounds fun! (not really) I'm sure your bod will love it, as will your mind.

Yes, congrats on a week, pbc!!

Weird dreams last night. In my dream, I decided to go ahead and drink this one night cuz it was a party with all my friends. Decided one night wouldn't be a big deal. That dream is the combination of my recent mini drama, which has weakened my super powers, and the weekend ahead. On a positive note, woke up to a dreary, cloudy, dark day! Yay!! We need rain and a break from the sun, it's nice.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Editor

Sorry for the misunderstand mirage....the luv still stands. Sorry I missed Dinner.
Kinda down today...my back is acting up....didnt even do anything fun to hurt it. Dang back. I am doing well PBC....just busier at work than I would like. Staying on track and trying to find my chi...I havent been able to swim the past two days and that gets me down.
My boy is in north carolina at the nike running camp. Man I miss him.
work is work.
I have been missing church ALOT this summer. Kinda leaves an empty place in my soul. I need to work on that.
I am working out and eating healthier, but continue to be fat. If I could change anything about myself right now......I would be about 60 lbs. lighter. I know that I would have more energy and feel alot better about myself. I just cant seem to get it together.

I am sober and tired alot. I feel like crap most of the time and havent been able to fish or play much lately.....guess I might be working too much. Or I am having a mid age crisis...who knows. Money is always tight and life has been getting me down a little. I know that it will get better and God knows it has been alot worse.

I will survive.

Peace to all of my friends
Dave
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well shoot, Dave, I don't like to hear all that! I'm sorry you're having a crummy back day and time, in general. You'll get where you need to be. Figuring out how to get there is half the battle. Until then...:ghug3

I'm sorry you missed dinner, too, as you missed a killer Pollo Rosa Maria from Carrabba's. First time there..super delicious. It was a wood-grilled chicken breast stuffed with fontina cheese and prosciutto, then topped with mushrooms and Rose’s favorite basil lemon butter sauce. Really, really good.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Have had a busy day today...up and out since 6 am. Back for an hour, then, hopefully, a swim. I keep running into the swimming classes in the adult lap lanes, and I lose that battle. So, I'll try again today. Had lunch with my Sat. a.m. AA buddies. Still friction at home, but the ice seems to have melted a bit today.

I have another full day out of office/out of town tomorrow, then a catch up day on Friday. Looking forward to it.

Sorry you are hurting, Dave. Chin up. Sometimes thats all we can do.

Last night, I started "Sober Living", an AA book about living life in sobriety once you've quit. It's not dependent on the steps or AA tenets, but has good ideas on how to acclimate to life as a sober person. It seems the year mark coming up is a good time to read it.

Frances, your run sounds like a great and fun goal. Kudos.

Glad you are continuing in sobriety, PBC. How are the meetings going?

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods, Bryan!

Is your back better now, Dee? Hope so.

Have a great day, all!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry you had a crummy day Dave, hope today is brighter. Do you need a doc check to make sure everything is OK?

Had a good run this morning and looking forward to Saturday's run. This structure really gives me hooks to hang my hats on, make the world make sense.

I've been thinking lately about successful people (meaning for me: happy relationship, successful kids, active in community, high-earners)....and wondering how many of them are alcoholics. I'm really coming around to the idea that success & addiction are pretty much incompatible. No rocket science here, but it kinda makes sense to me that I'm not where I want to be because....I was spending time and energy on booze.

I had a temporary pity party about my friends coming this weekend from London. He's a banker. They live in a full-on 17th century stone house with a big pool and extensive manicured gardens. Yep, in comparison, my DIY and repurposed garden/yard looks crummy. I told his Mean Voice to get the hell out of my head. It's good for me to acknowledge my jealousy for what it is....immature selfishness that once served me but doesn't any longer. Not beating myself up, rather, holding myself up for the considerable gifts of love and health in my life.

My AV wants me to focus on the one thing I DON"T have, instead of embracing everything I DO have.

PBC, sorry I missed your call this AM! Hope work is going GREAT.

Hi to all!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope your back gets better Dave.

I think there are far more meaningful ways to measure value than by possessions Frances - I think each of us here knows what we mean by that....we each have a second chance at life...there's no material or monetary value you could put on that IMO

Have a good day everyone

D
Old 07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm thinking, Frances, of how 99% of the world must look at YOU ... 2 homes (keep in mind that the average worldwide income is less than $2 per day) , pets that are well-loved and tended, a husband who completely respects and adores you and vice-versa, full-health, intelligence, creativity, a greater purpose in your career (you're making a difference!), true friends, beauty, need I go on? Not to mention that you've beat the alcohol thing, which some will simply NEVER do. Your cup runeth over, my dear friend. Sheesh ... I wanna be like you!

Dave, I'm sorry things aren't rainbows and unicorns. I agree with Frances -- have you seen a doctor about not feeling well? Maybe something's up. As for the weight thing, I'm sorry it's bothering you so much ... I know that feeling. It sucks. I remember sobbing when I saw the scale hit certain numbers, leaving stores crying because I was up 3 sizes, feeling like such a failure when I broke my "diet" over and over again that I'd put myself on, thinking that maybe I was just destined to become morbidly obese like every single other member of my family. But I just needed some help ... some education, structure, and accountability. You CAN overcome, Dave, I am certain. If I can, you can. I'm just a regular person, too.

Lofty, meetings are 'eh. I've gotten to 4 or 5 so far. I'm not super-fond of the lack of actual teaching and guidance that I've seen. A passage is read, and people "share" on it or whatever they might want to say. No "expert" explains the passage, picks up on what's valuable about the shares, or re-directs when things go a bit "off". And is it me, or does it seem like some people kind of idolize the Big Book? Like they treat it like scripture? I feel like I get much more out of this community, honestly. But I'm not giving up on meetings yet ... maybe I'll get it more when my book arrives. (where is that thing???? It should be here!)

I am trying to re-frame a trigger for myself ... let me share and maybe you all will have ideas. On Tuesday I worked from about 6:30am until almost 9pm, which isn't unusual. Wednesday was 8:30am - 9pm (including a Bible study I attend). When I finish those long, busy days attending to literally 100's of people, I want to reward myself. I've used alcohol in the past, and I need to replace that with something else ... something that I'll look forward to, that's a little indulgent and relaxing. Tuesday night I had no idea what to do, and I ended up just reading for a while and going to bed, but it was a little hard. I wanted something more. Wednesday night my youngest wanted ice cream, so we went to a local place and I had a mini-sundae, but it didn't do much for me. Any ideas? I'm not into baths (boring) and rarely like tv.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

PBC-I was going to suggest ice cream, but I see you've tried that...I hear you on the meeting vibe. I go with high hopes sometimes & sit there & hold my head because I have heard this all before. Then sometimes I sit there and feel quite serene and happy with what I'm absorbing or sharing. For some reason the real crowded meetings don't do much for me anymore...but I still go as I make coffee & help set-up at 2 meetings. I really enjoy a smaller "As Bill Sees It" meeting I attend every Thursday--we have become a tight knit group and it is a loose but very open meeting. Dave--hope all comes together for you ---always hope & pray for more good cycles than bad. Sometimes we just seem to claw through things, I guess as long as we are 'clawing' in the right direction is what matters.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

PBC..somewhere on the site there's a list of things we can do instead of drink. I've looked, but can't find it, maybe Dee knows where it is. I've seen Carol post it a number of times. It's gonna be a little hard! Some nights it'll be a lot hard. It gets easier with time, you get used to it. It's breaking that habit of rewarding yourself with a drink. We understand.

Have a great weekend, folks, heading down south. Ok, Indiana, but still. See you soon.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's in the sticky posts at the top of the Newcomers Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

There's a good starting point of ideas there anyway...

Drinking's not a reward.

Find something that you love PBC - but choose something that adds to who you are, not depletes you

D
Old 07-19-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's like you can just SENSE when someone says your name....

(thank you)
Old 07-20-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning Marchers--
How is everyone today? I hope you all have nice weekend plans.

It's RAINING HERE! I'm so happy. It feels so good that the heat has broken and we are getting some desperately needed ongoing soaking. I might go out and dance in it. (Or more likely, weed.)

I really like what you said PBC, about the TRUTH of my life. I am humbled by realizing how my AV used to want me to feel jealous and small.

I've also been thinking about the ODAAT idea within the context of a bigger picture. I have done really well at work this week billing wise but less good at eating well. Runs have been good but still not 100% back on track with skin care.

SO, today I'm asking myself what I want to be, and what actions I will take today to get there.

Weekend plans everyone?

Dog class tonight.
Long run Sat AM (9 miles)
Pick up London friends at airport.
Fun with friends Saturday night
Party Sunday at the Lake Cabin with lots of friends.

I want to be happy, healthy and relaxed for these fun events.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Shadow knows, Mirage....LOL

D
Old 07-20-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Dee--I used to have an autographed photo of Don Knotts in his Barney Fife get-up--had it framed & added a plaque to it & hung it in a Bait & Tackle shop I used to run..
"This business is protected by Fife Security Company..enter at your own risk.."...I always have loved The Andy Griffin Show (Mayberry RFD)...it always gave us a simple look at life with a simple but meaningful message...
Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Love the Andy Griffith show too. *hears whistled theme song*

PBC, really proud of you for investigating and recreating something nourishing for yourself at the end of a very very long day.

Looking at it from the other end, are there opportunities and possibilities to give yourself nourishing boosts THROUGHOUT the day? Just thinking that it feels loaded and weighted to expect something at the very end to off-set the stress of a 12-hour day.

I know I used to live for 5PM when I could start drinking, or that "reward" vodka before bedtime. *MADNESS thinking and smiling at the memory* For some months, I remember the best part of the day being bedtime so that the day was over and I could finally relax. That's so sad, thinking about that for me. Now I look forward to getting up!

Mini breaks? Mini walks? Quick calls? Prayer break? Silly website you love to visit? (I've got lots of guilty pleasures.)

Painting, sketching, journalling, sewing, scrapbooking, songwriting, piano playing......knitting, crocheting?

I'm mind-mapping (that's the creative flowchart thing) on my Big Pad o' Paper and a thick green magic marker.

Who am I going to be long term? What actions will I take today to achieve this goal?

Lots of good stuff!

Love to all.