Notices

Class of May 2012 pt 4

Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Nice to hear from you again, BuddyW62. How are you doing in sobriety?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

"And oops...my 30 days is this coming Thursday, not Tuesday, but I still feel motivated to get there."
Payton, I made the same mistake you did...totally miscalculated my 30 days. I thought it was this Saturday but it's Sunday. Sobriety is not helping my math skills! I guess it's really not as important to me as just getting through each and every day. I almost convinced myself I could have a glass of wine tonight after work, but somehow I just kept driving home. Once here, I started cooking a nice Italian dish and poured myself a glass of sparkling cider, so AV has quieted down. I have to learn not to confuse hunger with wanting a drink!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vinyl View Post
Well here I am at the my biggest test yet. I have the next 3 days off and the wife is out of town. As I mentioned before all I've done is wait for this opportunity to drink. But I'm on 3 weeks of sobriety now and feeling better than I've ever felt in my life.

I don't want to drink. Your responses to my last post were amazing and really affected me in a positive way. Those notes resonated with me and are keeping me away from the bottle right now.

I can do this, dammit.
You said "opportunity to drink". I think that kind of thinking may be troublesome.

What about "It's an opportunity to not drink. To not give in." It's showdown time and you now need to double up your efforts in the face of this thing that had held you back and kicked your ass too many times before.

You can DO IT!!! And please keep us posted on what you are doing!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Payton

How'd the Happy Hour go? I'm meeting some long-time friends tomorrow night who are likely to be shocked by my bubble water with a lime drink...going to be interesting to be in an actual bar for the first time in a month.

And just who's that pretty lady in your avitar anyway?
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hey folks! Just a quick check in.

GingerBeer, happy hour went well! Just a big water for me and some shrimp tacos. I felt good and did not flinch when husband got a beer and friend got a sangria. It's interesting to watch normal drinkers. Both enjoyed their one drink. I thought about how if I had ordered just one, I'd be jonesing for my second and agitated at the thought of not being able to have more, then I would try to order more and be told by husband that I didn't need another, etc etc, and now I'd be at home a little fuzzy and unable to study and really edgy wanting more drinks. I can actually feel that tension and I want no part of it. I got a little pissy on the way home thinking about future times when I'd want to enjoy alcohol but then reminded myself not to think about that and just think about this evening. So all in all it was a success! Thanks for asking! My avatar is Veronica Lake, a terrible alcoholic herself. How are you doing with your sobriety?

Luling, I believe my little lady is about the same age as yours!

IW2, oh my goodness I'm so sorry you have MRSA. What is the treatment plan? What have they told you about what they expect for the outcome? Please keep writing....really enjoy your posts. Hugs to you.

FP, thank you for the compliment! You are just a brilliant writer!

Time to go - time to study. Sorry for the people I didn't get to. Love to all.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Payton View Post
GingerBeer...How are you doing with your sobriety?
I'm doing well, I wrote a little the other day when my 30-day rolled by...I'm not really tempted on a daily basis, and when I am it seems to pass. I was thinking that maybe the hypnotism session might have helped in some unknown way.

The only trouble that I have, and have had since quitting, is splitting headaches every morning. I never really had them when I was drinking (unless I was REALLY drunk when I went to sleep).

The only thing that I've changed in my diet is getting rid of the beer and wine! I eat a pretty good diet, not junk food or chemicals, not a lot of meat, lots of veggies and fruits and nuts. I continue to take a multi-vitamin, a B complex and good quality fish oil capsules every day and now I drink more non-alcoholic drinks especially in the evening and I've always had a lot of water before bed (and on my nightstand).

This pseudo hangover is the thing that is really bugging me, but headaches are so amorphous that I don't know how to find relief (except by taking 2 tylenols as soon as I open my eyes

So my sobriety is going better than I expected, but my mornings are going worse than expected. Thanks for looking out for me, and thanks for all of your contributions to the board.

GingerBeer
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Hey, GB. How about a sports drink in the morning to stave off headaches? Does pro-caf coffee help? That and occasional aspirin made a difference for me.

About having a lot of water on the nightstand... by the end of the week, I had water bottles all over the floor, under the bed, heck - in the bed, when I was in full force. Finally stringing together a few sober days at a time back then, I mimicked the Jeff Bridges character, Bad Blake, in Crazy Heart: crawling around the house on my hands and knees gathering up all the empties. Not all contained water, either. Don't ever want to return to that humbling scene.

Good job on the sober strength, May buddy.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I was thinking that maybe the hypnotism session might have helped in some unknown way.

I think that is fascinating that you went to a hypnotism session. I've considered it myself. The concept definitely intrigues me.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in. Still sober. Party is tonight. I caught myself thinking about just having one drink tonight. I'm telling myself drinking is not an option but it's feeling very difficult right now with all my friends talking about how crazy the party will be.

Drinking is not an option.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Think about where that drink would take you Jane....

You've left all that behind - you have a new life - you're a non drinker now

D
Old 06-09-2012, 01:06 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thinking of Iwant2. Hope you start feeling better soon xxx
Happy Saturday everyone. In a rush today, just wanted to check in.
Lots of love to Luling who had a rough night xxx

I've done 14 sober days, and I'm never drinking again. Just a note to myself.
Have a safe sober day everyone xx
Old 06-09-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Im at the pub at the party. Had a red bull but that made me jumpy. Drinking water instead. Staying strong but I think im going to head home soonish.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class,

Jane - I hope you made it home okay. Iwant2 - I find great strength in your posts. I am so sorry that you are experiencing MRSA in early sobriety. There are some similarities in our drinking histories. I have drank for 32 years, but am a binge drinker. I received a DUI at the age of 20. Like you, this should have served as a wake-up call. But, alcoholism is cunning and baffling. I hope you feel better soon. Deserto - your poems are amazing! You have real talent there. I am right behind you - 26 days today. Liike Payton stated "I will be damned if I don't make it to 30 days". FP - Thank you for your thoughtful and kind posts to everyone and your continued positivity Ginger - I can relate to the headaches every day. I attribute mine to lack of sleep. I have tried advil without much success. This a.m. I woke up at 4:00 and never went back to sleep. I got up at 5:00 a.m. Fortunately, I don't have a headache today, just tired. I did get an idea from someone on SR and have been following it. It does seem to help. It is a smoothie that 40% spinach and 60% fruit (with water added) and lots of wheat germ. Wishing everyone a happy, sober saturday!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thank you Tanja.

I'm back at my friends place now. Sober. I go home tomorrow which I can't wait for. I'm happy I've remained sober this week.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go Jane!

D
Old 06-09-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThursdayNight View Post
To answer 2Magnolias, my pic is 1920s film actress Louise Brooks. I just love pictures of women from the 1920s, the style fascinates me. Have a great, SOBER day everyone. Gotta get ready for work now!
Awesome! I love early 1900s also. I'm restoring a 1908 Colonial Revival and am constantly googling fixtures, moulding, furniture, fashions, etc. Congrats on your success and thanks for attending the Class of May 2012!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
Payton, I'm impressed by your confidence in attending a happy hour while sober. I'm staying away from those kinds of things for a while, but that's because I haven't earned my own trust yet.
I am absolutely blown away that you can do this! I personally have sworn off the happy hour thing and crowd forever. No more bars, ever. And those "friends"? Only in touch with one of them, almost six weeks after drying out officially!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iwant2 View Post
You can Google it. I woke up this morning hoping I would be going home only to find out the infection is what is called MRSA. .
omg I am SO sorry to hear about the MRSA!
MRSA - PubMed Health

hope it clears up SOON and you get out of that hospital!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flickedhisbic View Post
Oh wow Iwant2 MRSA is scary stuff, I hope you're feeling better soon.

I caved and got some McDonald's lol I guess out of the 3 options for giving into cravings junk food was the least destructive out of them all.
Facing my six-week sobriety date (TUESDAY at 11pm!) I am allowing myself anything I want....alcohol aside....which last night was fig newtons, skittles, jelly bellies and caramel popcorn!

I picked up said implements right after work, and literelly said out loud as I was exiting the grocery store "it's cheaper than happy hour!"