Notices

Class of May 2012 pt 4

Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberjanedoe View Post
Go for a run or exercise to let off steam.
Thanks I will try and remember that for the future. But the rain in bucketing down at the moment and I feel better now!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leemzer View Post
Easyrider, do you think it could be the quitting smoking? For me, the third day was always the hardest. I would agree with Luling and SoberJ, exercise and take a hot shower. Drink lots of water. I bet it is nicotine-related, at least partially.

SJD--congrats on 30 days! You make me want to keep my sobriety!
Yeah, it might very well be a contributing factor.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Cheers guys. I'll check in again later.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Ok...it's stupid but I lost on a video game. hahaha Sounds really stupid I know. Infact admitting that has cheered me up. Thanks. Still doesn't change the fact I was so angry earlier. Irrationally perhaps. It might also shed some light on why I drank so often when meaningless things trigger me off. I think it might also have to do with the fact that I'm now dealing with emotions for the first time.
I think a little irrational anger is totally acceptable when one is cutting out cigs AND alcohol.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Yes me too. Quitting smoking always makes me behave like some sort of devil woman!! I'm not even trying to quit until I'm comfortable in sobriety. I really admire your courage easyrider!x
Old 06-09-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

Quitting smoking can really ramp up the rage ER - take care of yourself - exercise usually helps me lose that red mist

D
Old 06-09-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Thank you for posting when you needed to vent, Easyrider. Have you looked into the PAWS link that 2Mags posted recently? Our bodies go through all kinds of readjustments while detoxing off of alcohol, smoking, etc. Plays with your head, too. I can attest to that. Replaying my odd behavior left me wondering why I thought and reacted as I did to seemingly benign incidents. Be patient with yourself and take the best care of yourself. That goes for all of us on this sober and/or smoke-free journey.

Here's info about PAWS. Not sure if it's the same link that 2Mags provided, but it's an interesting read:
Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies

Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hey Leemzer -- maybe too much too soon or at the same time? I'm kinda like that.

Easy -- Hope you turned that stew into something good to eat. I love hitting the punching bag or screaming into a pillow. Oh, I love pounding the golf balls, too. Let us know how it's going, eh?

Soberjane -- Wahoo, *****, boy howdy, that's awesome! 30 days is a huge milestone. Way to go!

Thinking about you Luling. Glad you're back in this boat.
Frenchpink. You rock.
Deserto. You rock.
Both of you. Thanks for the poems!!

Middle of day 16 for me. I'm between delivering my kiddos to different birthday parties, and getting lots playtime with both of them. However, I do have tequila on my mind, hence the reason I'm right here on SR with my class.

I hope everyone is having a good and sober weekend!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

You may be right...37 days is not an eternity. It's just like I want it all yesterday.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by crewisms View Post
Frenchpink. You rock.
Deserto. You rock.
Both of you. Thanks for the poems!!

Middle of day 16 for me. I'm between delivering my kiddos to different birthday parties, and getting lots playtime with both of them. However, I do have tequila on my mind, hence the reason I'm right here on SR with my class.
Hey, Super-Crew. Thanks for the thumbs up on our rhymes.

Thank you for posting your timely yelp for help. Now, back away from the tequila, my friend. Think I'd mentioned to our respected member, HitRock, a while back that the worm in the bottle has mighty sharp teeth. Keep plugging on with your 16 days. You feel so much better now, right? I remember your awesome post about what you're "losing" in sobriety. Think that's when I started referring to you as "Super-Crew" because I was - and still am - so proud of you for this hugely positive turnaround you've made in your life. Keep your starring role in sobriety first and foremost for yourself and your children. You can do this, sobermate. I am cheering on the incredible new you.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by Leemzer View Post
Hey everyone,
For the first time today has been a tough day for me. It has caught me out of the blue, but I found myself this morning wanting to drink tonight.
Patience is hard for me in these early days...but I am learning.
Thanks for reading,
Lee
I hear ya, Lee. I don't know when the idea of wanting a drink or thinking we can moderate will go away, if ever. Glad you posted about it, though, because I'll bet many of us are thinking the same things. Suppose that's what addiction is mostly about: focusing on wanting something that we know isn't good for us and trying to rationalize our should-know-betters away.

Hang in there, classmate. I'm really proud of you for your 37 days. I'm only a week or so behind you, so let's keep each other strong.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Congratulations jane on 30 days. I just got back from an AA meeting that has left me profoundly upset. A woman stood up at the end of the meeting and shared that her husband used to come to this meeting. He had fought hard and attended AA for six years. He died of cirrohis of the liver in February. He had various degrees of sobriety - one lasting 18 months. She said he fought hard. I went up to her after the meeting and told her that I was so sorry for her loss and hugged her. She was crying very hard and I just kept hugging her. I also told her that she had helped me. In hindsight, I should have told her that her selflessness and courage were inspiring. She was clearly suffering. This really shook my still addicted brain. This is a life and death situation and we have to put all we can into recovering.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for all who loved that man Tanja.
This is life and death for sure.

I'm sure you gave her comfort.
D
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Hey, Tanja. I agree with Dee wholeheartedly. How wonderful that you were there for that lovely woman. If you see her again at another meeting, she is sure to remember your kindness. Big sobermate hugs for you.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by Deserto View Post
I could be happy, at least fairly,
to live as a simple folk singer.
I'd set aside my rhyming dictionary
and not work too hard to find the zinger.
I'd simply sing:
Day 29 (la la la la la la)
It's lookin' fine (la la la la la)
Hey, Saguaro Songster. Congratulations on today's fine 29, poem partner. How about crooning out loud for us?

And for tomorrow's magnificent milestone Day 30, try playing your verse on the hurdy-gurdy.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

My dad came up to help me pack (week and a half until I'm out) and I told him about how I've stopped drinking and his response was "good I've known you had a problem for awhile." I don't know why I was scared to tell him. He's been pushing me to stop since last fall when he had to drive 2 hours in the middle of the night to get me out of the hospital after I gave myself alcohol poisoning.

Anyways we got into a weird conversation I have this wine bottle collection that I've had for years and I told him not to toss some of them. I decided to save like 5 (out of almost 50) bottles that were my favorite and that I keep fake flowers in. He was really pushing me to get rid of them all.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

You're a kind soul, Tanja. We feel that from you right here, too.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Flicked. That sounds like a pretty good conversation with your dad. Many never get there. You did.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I'm at the airport waiting to board. This week was stressfull and awkward not drinking. I love and respect my mates who I visited but I don't think I like spending time with them unless we're all drinking. I spent the week sober and they were drunk, When they were sober they were hungover and boring.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days Jane! I was thinking of you today because you, me, HRB and Thursday Night (did I miss anyone) are all at 30 days tomorrow... but I forgot you were posting from the Australian future Sorry the vacation wasn't as good as it could have been but glad you stayed sober