Notices

Class Of January 2012 Part 6

Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Wow, some incredible posts here! We have certainly gotten past the trivial small talk, which, imho, is a really great thing in such a small timespan I almost feel like we have all known each other for a very long time...
Thanks for sharing pics, Billy and Nel. Scotland looks beautiful! Kudos for staying strong at the wedding. @ Nel, great job on the family room!
NBC, what a story and you are a terrific narrator (seriously consider some book writing, lol!). That must've been quite a let-down...throw that fish right back out to sea and move on, girl! I admire your diplomacy... I don't think I would have handled things as well.
Limbo, good going with quitting the smokes. I actually quit many years ago, but confess I have since become addicted to nicotine gum! Believe it or not, I have been chewing it for years...Not good, I know. Another vice I'll need to let go of in time.
PCL, I totally get it when you say you feel "lost". I have been feeling lately like I am starting all over again, almost like learning to walk for the first time. And I suddenly feel like I don't know who I am anymore...I am certainly evolving, but who this new person will be remains to be seen...One thing I know for sure is this person is quite SOBER, and shall remain as such!
Oh, I've recently watched a few youtube videos by Wayne Dyer. Awesome stuff! I am planning on downloading his book entitled "The Shift", which teaches about moving towards a life filled with meaning and purpose. It is spiritually based, and he speaks a lot about losing one's ego and letting God take control.
For me, it really seems as if I have already had some divine intervention with my addiction to alcohol. I can say, without reservation, that I have absolutely no desire to drink. I can actually think about drinking and feel absolutely nothing. And my personal belief, as a woman of strong faith, is that my Higher Power has removed my desire to drink.
I do not go to meetings, nor do I consider myself an AA'er. I just wanted to share this with you guys, because I am quite amazed by it. As I've said before, I really hope I do not offend anyone who considers themselves non-religious.
I've got a really long way to go on this journey, and I'm only just beginning to see that some big changes will need to take place within myself.
Wishing my SR family a soberlicious week ahead. Love you guys!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

May day bank holiday and its raining, but ah well its a good day for me,
beast nearly got me yday after finishing second leg of my charity cycle, big home coming party for all, band, BBQ, sunny evening and loads of beer flowing was very tempted but got pint of coke, 2 burgers, 3 sausages, chips and salad and after I'd that in me all I wanted to do was lye down lol.
Woke early this morning and prayed 'thank God'
Old 05-07-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Nel, I love it tooooooo- first time for me to see it and in my "not get out of the sofa for the whole day state" I watched 16 episodes! Hmmm....slightly excessive perhaps, but fun :-)

PLC, thanks for sharing your experience, I have been a bit of a zombie now for 2 days but getting there. Have no choice but to pick myself up today as I am off travelling tomorrow again and need to get sorted. That means I will get to do my favorite dream though, go through the airports and the planes as a non-smoker not having my mind and whole being obsessed with where and when can smoke, the torture of it... I will just be a normal non-smoking non-drinking cool traveler

Fixit and PLC, very much know the lost feeling, it has helped to think of that as a temporary thing, as a reformatting of sorts, so much of the bad stuff has been cleared out and it will take some time to fill it up again with good stuff...so for a while there i perhaps a bit to much space for comfort :-) This time I will choose my soul furnishings carefully...

Sean! Proud of you, good man!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Seanie - awesome, awesome, awesome!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Way to go, Seanie!!!
Face It, thanks for sharing your experiences also. I need to dig deeper into my God. That's where my true peace & serenity come from. I need to put my ego in the closet.
Will check out The Shift
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I feel soo good mentally!! I never thought I would feel this good being sober! Good work Seanie!! Peace out everyone
Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
So it goes

NBC, loved that story, I read it yesterday, but as I was posting on my phone (I lurrv technology, Ms Billy cant understand the fascination) it was not always easy to write long replies, but it was so well written, I thought how you built up the payoff was very funny, I have lovely images of the house in my head now.

I dont wish you a series of bad dates, but if you have another, think of writing a book, I would buy, and on real paper too, none of this Kindle rubbish

Well done on the biking and bbq sober seanie, those things are little to other people, but so big to us. Some people at my do drank, and some didnt, but that I didnt even want one was something I could not have envisaged 3 months ago.

I remember thinking it great if I could do without a drink for 100 hours (minutes sometimes ) but now, I am over 100 days with your help, and it is coming on here that keeps me sane and sober.

For those who read my previous post on vans, I am learning a lot of vocab very quickly, Ms Billy is trying to persuade us to get one this month, I suggested we should hire one first to see if we like it

The really scary thing is her family are all closet enthusiasts , her son knows all about air cooled v water cooled and leisure batteries and her cousin is looking at doing up one.

I can see a road trip round UK soon, perhaps if I win the lottery we may ship Billy (I have persuaded Ms Billy that we can call the van after my nom de guerre.) out to US or at very least Ireland.

Happy sobriety to all.
BP
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I googled The Shift & led me to other things......
Successconsciousness.com was pretty cool.
Lots of things about meditation, power of thoughts, controlling your mind, self discipline, concentration, etc. Thought I'd share, has some helpful tools.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Just a quick shout out to Seanie...congrats and well done!

...and PCL, I will definitely check out that website, sounds interesting. Thanks for the share!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Barbecuing and eating out on my patio really gets the old cravings going for me. Today I felt like I was back at the beginning, ugh. I definitely believe God has helped me quit drinking but only when I started putting some effort in myself. I ask God to give me the power over alcohol every day, and I thank him every day. I don't usually get religious on SR but since we were "discussing" it, I didn't think anyone would mind me saying what has worked wonders for me.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good morning class in the middle of the night, time to head out to the airport again and will see you on the other end of this trip unless I am surprised with some internet!

Good luck and take care and have fun!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

bon voyage limbo

D
Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Day 117, lets Motivate ! Never ever going back no matter how bad or bored I feel, Can you imagine having to go through the first 100 days again ? Not for me, ever . This journey is going to be full of positives gains, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain Onwards and upwards, have a great week all.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Onwards and upwards
Love that, perhaps we ought to get Dee to rename the thread
Class of January 2012 Onwards and Upwards
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Safe, sober, smokeless travels, Limbo. Congrats on all your accomplishments!

Just got my 1st step worksheet from my sponsor yesterday. Wow! Not what I was expecting. Thought all I had to do is affirm my life had become unmanageable and I am powerless over alcohol and move onto step two. WRONG!! The soul searching starts now. I intend to do this properly so I am seeing it will be a bigger and surely more satisfying journey than anticipated.

Have crap to deal with at work today that I am not looking forward to. Neighbors parked a flat bed trailer halfway in my driveway blocking my garage door. UGGGGHHHHH!

Sounds like life to me. All much easier to deal with with a clear and sober mind and disposition but sometimes I just get my hackles up and would like to tell people what I really think of their stupid actions.

All will be fine. Onward and upward!!! Hugs, T
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Onward and upward!!!... Super January awesome classmates ...love it! Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Love that, perhaps we ought to get Dee to rename the thread
Class of January 2012 Onwards and Upwards
don't confuse me, LOL

D
Old 05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Katrinka, I can totally relate to the barbequing, etc... stirring up the cravings. I have a strong association with alcohol and all things pleasurable, and it will also be a big milestone for me being able to relax and entertain outdoors sans the alcohol. One more feat to conquer...we can do this!
See ya on the flip side, Limbo...safe travels!
Great post DarkDays, you can be my coach anytime (you do need to change your name, tho )
All the best with the Step work, NBC. Please keep us updated. I'm sort of doing my own version of the steps. A daunting venture, for sure. But I can only imagine the transformation down the road will be well worth the work.
Oh well, time to make some dinner for the fam...
Onward and Upward, All !
Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Onward and Upward, I love it! That's exactly where we are all headed.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey class been so busy getting ready for a huge garage sale tomorrow thru Saturday, I had small cravings today because of course after a day of setting up/having my garage sale, I sat on the deck and drank like a fish!!..Just gonna power thru the cravings...Like our January class motto....Onward and Upward!!!.... Everyone take care, I will try to check in when I can, love ready my class mates posts. It helps so much to keep going, love to you all