Notices

Class of December 2011 part 3

Old 07-07-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Soberbrooke

:ghug3 great job on the 30 plus days Zen, so far that 30 day mark is still the most remarkeable for me.
Looks like I'll be starting some kind of therapy in regards to my history of abuse, this is a very good thing
House is full of kids
gotta jet
lotsa love
Kim
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Back home and seriously jet lagged. Didn't strangle the witch though god knows I wanted to. I came to a judicious solution - once my Dad dies I'm moving to the caribbean. She won't go so problem solved.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

:ghug3 Charon
Glad you didn't strangle her and welcome back.
Hope your resting up.
The Carribean sounds wonderful, always wanted to live on an island.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

It's hot enough here for the caribbean - no coral reefs though and way not enough rain. It's turning into a desert.

I'm going to brave the heat and weed my onions and fertilize all the veggies, the front flowers, and my orchids. I want to put an old AC unit in the wall of my wood shop but I'm not sure I can stand the heat long enough to get it done. I've got a big fan in there but blowing hot air around doesn't do much. Guess I'll do my best. I should at least be able to get the hole cut. Then If I get up early tomorrow I can get the unit installed.

Going diving at Hearthstone, Lake George on wednesday. Should be some cold. My guess is that the thermocline is below 60°F. Think I'll have to dunk myself and my equipment before I get dressed. WE're arriving at 5:30pm and diving at 6:30 pm.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Diving sounds so cool, I love being underwater.
What is a thermocline?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My mood has been a little low. I think its connected to the miss step I took on the stairs leading out from my front door to the courtyard. Jammed my toes but good as I missed the last step because of multitasking on the way down...have to remember 'first things first' when doing stairs.

Other than my toes , its crunch time with being aware that I do not choose to drink. I've been reading here at SR and that been helping a lot. Other than that I feel good about keeping on task with being alcohol free.

Hold fast gang as I will do the same .
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

:ghug3 Zen
Holding fast here. Sorry bout your toe, I'm a little clumsy myself.

Well tomorrow is the day they are going to scope my small intestines to see what kind of damage the celiac disease has done and they will do a biopsy. This is kinda my last big hurdle. The drug they put me on for the lupus is working and does not suppress my immune system, so that is good.
The gluten free diet is helping, they say for as long as I've had it , could take a couple years.
I hate drs and anything medical but am charging ahead and taking care of me.
New concept.
Expecting goodnews on the biopsy.
Will deal with whatever may come sober.
lotsa love
Kim
Old 07-11-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Zen, sorry about your toes. WHen I was leaving Barttleboro last December I mis-stepped on an uneven surface carrying a box, twisted my ankle and thought I broke it. I hadn't but it hurt a long time, so I can emphthize.

Kim, glad the Dr's are at least helping to provide some progress.

Water gets more dense as it get's colder till it reaches 39°F. Then it starts to get less dense. That's why ice floats. A thermocline is the level at which the water stratifies because of the density difference. Above the thermocline the temperature drop with depth is slow. At the thermocline the drop is dramatic over just a few feet. It could be 70°F just above the thermocline and 53° in and below it. Lake George is deep enough that there are sometimes two thermoclines. Hitting the second is like swimming through soft ice. I just hope the vis is good.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope your toe heals quickly Zen
good luck to you too Kim - and best wishes to you Charon for a good week ahead

D
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Dive turned into disaster. First the new camera I bought disloged from it's attachment. Then my dive computer (charged to full within 24 hours) crapped out on a low battery. Then, due to a long surface wait before submerging I lost 5.5.pounds of lead from the back of my BC Vest and couldn't submerge.

I'm going to the dive shop first thing in the morning to remedy the dropped weight thing. The camera will require an inspiration on a new method of mounting. The computer battery problem will (might) be a hassle with the e-shop that sold it to me. I'm hoping not. Planning to dive the same site this coming satrurday if I can resolve all the gear problems. Man it was hot suiting up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope the next dive goes better Charon

D
Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee....
Sorry bout the dive Charon, hope you get all the kinks worked out and have a good dive. Someimes it seems like everything goes wrong at once.
Got good news, there is no growth in my small intestines. The villi are missing but that was to be expected with the celiacs disease.
They are also checking for some enzyme that my pancreas might be having trouble producing, happens with alcoholics sometimes.
I'm relieved they did not find anything more than expected. Should get results of biopsy in a week or so.
I'm not feeling so hot today and will have to listen to my body.
Hope everyone is doing well
Hold fast
lotsa love
Kim
Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got some good news Kim

D
Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Next dive should go much better. At least it shold be a dive rather than an aborted dive. I went to the dive shop and got two weight pouches that go on the cam strap of the BC. I should never accidently lose weights again.

The computer seems to have a full charge. Guess I better re-read the manual. I was showing one of the divemasters a few of it's features and later saw it had turned off and noticed a red led flashing. I thought I remembered that it indicated a very low battery. I guess not.

That only leaves me the problem of resolving how to mount the Tachyon camera. I've got an idea how to make a spacer to extend the mask strap slot farther out from the mask so the mask doesn't show in the picturer/video.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Talking December Class is Go! W0ot wo0T!

How you doing Dee? I recall you have some medical issues that can give you trouble from time to time...any thing going on with that? I hope all is manageable never the less.

Kim, I'm glad the medical exam looks good or as your condition allows and no growths. That's a scarey condition when growths are mentioned. I can understand the anxiety that can go with that stuff.

Charon, I hope you get the technical issues sorted with the dive computer. I recall fishing off the Channel Islands one time where the water was very clear. I could see down to the bottom (about 30ft) where the Lingcod were. The rocky bottom had a an interesting covering of sea life stuff.

As for little (if 6ft 2in 260lbs is little LOL) ole me, the toe/foot is healing nicely. Did some food shopping today. It went slow, but got it done.

All's good on the sober front but I am in 'watch out' mode as I do not want to slip. I'm reading more on here SR, learning more recovery tools to practice and knowing to be on guard during my typical time when 'I say f-it I'm drinking'. I think it all boils down to detaching from alcohol. And attaching to well-being practices. Its all a work of self-worth so I can be confident to give of myself freely.

Time to max out the limit of smiles I can post on SR:

Do well, be well and stay well, for all is well if we make it so.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Administrator

undergoing a course of physio right now for my back Will - and a root canal on Monday - so it may be a pretty painful week ahead LOL

D
Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Hope all goes well with your root canal monday Dee, I had 2 last year but I was fortunate. They put me to sleep and I didn't have much pain afterward. I'm a big baby when it comes to mouth pain.

Hello Zen and Charon.
Hope your both having a good weekend.
Keep hangin
Lotsa love
Kim
Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

I'm back on track. I think the biggest thing for me is to never forget how drinking affects my health and ability to do things. When I drink I don't sleep well, I always feel lousy, I have a hard time breathing, and I experience severe weakness. Why would I want to do that to myself? Remembering that helps me to take the Antabuse without even thinking. Then I have no option but to forget about having a drink. Seems to work for me.

I've lost incentive for daily AA meetings. I still plan on going, just not every day. As long as I keep taking the Antabuse I figure that 1-2 meetings a week will do. That way I can focus on meetings where there are people I enjoy chatting with before and after and avoid the meetings that are more rigerous (dogma wise).

Still working on my diving gear. The computer recorded my "dive" perfectly. Looking at the profile and data makes me laugh. It was worse than any of my qualifying dives. LOL. The camera is giving me fits and coniptions trying to mount it though. I have a week to come up with a solution. Today I'm going to try to attach it to the mask itself, rather than the mask strap. That will put the lens out in front and the mask won't block the picture. I'll let you know.

Got a lot of diving coming up. July 22nd is the club picnic, July 24th-29th is Valcour Island (NYSDA), August 5th is Warner's Lake (club), September 6th to 10th is Roger's Rock (club), September 21st-23rd Rockport, Mass (club). and October 5th-7th is another Rockport, Mass weekend (club) or the NYSDA End-It-All Dive Weekend in Clayton (St. Lawrence River). There are a couple more events that I eliminated as they are too short for the drive involved.

Well, that's way more than enough for now. Time to get to work.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Well, looks like Valcour is out. Turns out everyone but me will be out of town that week leaving no one "on call" for my Dad. I really don't mind. We can spend some time together and I'll get some peace and quiet. I could still do a local day dive somewhere. Also found out that Rockport is north of Boston. Not sure I want to drive that far until I check into it further.

Today runninng errands with Dad. Then some shopping and cooking. I'm making grilled chicken and baked potatoes for dinner and I'm making a double batch of German Potato Salid to take to the club picnic. I want it to have time for the flavors to mellow.

Tonight I'll go to my regular Monday meeting. I'll probably tell the people I've been close to there that I probably won't be back much. Maybe I'll chair and explain my decision. Over the next few weeks I'm going to try to hit my regular meetings and evaluate. I'm pretty sure that I will be going to the Clubhouse meetings pretty much exclusively. I have been going there Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun afternoons so that gives me a lot of choices.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Got a real scortcher today. Mid 90's or higher and ozone and polutant levels predicted to be extremely high. Needless to say I won't be working outside today. Hoping for storms to break this up.

Due to my wife's wacky (to me) way of labeling, the chicken I took out of the freezer were split (bone & skin) and not boneless & skinless. I didn't find out untill 3 pm. After panicing I looked for recipes and pulled it out of the fire. Found a supremely easy one for roasted chicken breast - ½ tsp thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, ¼ tsp black pepper. Baste breast (skin side up in shallow baking dish) with butter and cover with spices. Bake (convection) 350° for an hour. Hold at 180° till 10 minutes before ready to eat. Crank up to 450° for 5 minutes to crisp skin and let rest for 5 minutes. Had them with baked potatos. Yum & so easy.

Today my wife is cooking fish for herself so I'm doing a crock pot porkchop that I really like and she doesn't. One cup Heinz ketchup, 1 Tbs lemon juice, 1 Tbs brown sugar (mixed) plus sliced onions & pork chops - layer pork chops / onion / sauce. Cook on low all day. Cover brown rice with sauce & onions. Again, Yum & so easy.

Can you tell I used to be a batchelor that loved to eat tasty food, but didn't like cleaning up or complex prep work? LOL

Because everything took way longer than expected I'm making the German Potato Salad today. Again, easy and tasty.