Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL.

Best of luck VC!

D
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

To your point about Theophrastus, R&A, I really like this quote that suki44883 has in her signature: "We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words.
- Anna Sewell -"

But that's just one reason There are many, many others. In terms of the positive impact it's had on my life, going vegan has been second only to getting sober.

VC, good luck on your tests! I think that, if possible, you should try to finish early and just stare back at those weirdos. You have to do so so much training for this job! I'm really happy it's working out for you. It's been inspiring to see you chase down your goals

Hooped, what are you up to? Man, I wish we had good veggie restaurants here in town. There is one place I know of where you can get a vegan taco that is pretty amazing. Grilled zukes, mushrooms, bell peppers along with green papaya, mango salsa, and tons of guacamole... YUM!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

OMG..............that was one of the worst stress days I have had in a long while......they coached me and pre tested me for 3 hours prior to this long test. I was the only one in the room with them and they sat on each side of me and had separate monitors to view every step I took during this test. I am not a bad tester.......don't like em' but whatever.........this was PAINFUL. First, I was being tested on things that I had never done before......this was a test after a one day class where they read to you out of a book......how am I able to apply this without having done it??????????????????????????? I turned ugly and negative. I was pissed. I was full of stress. I felt sick.

Well, somehow I passed. I do not know how. Lucky guesses??????? When I finished I was asked to leave the room so they could pull up whatever on their monitors................I thought I was going to throw up. I don't get that way but I felt "wronged."
I will be honest, when I left there I really really wished I still drank. I wanted to get hammered. BIG TIME. My head was pounding and I don't get headaches either............

I didn't. I am not going to "start over" because of those aholes. Just saying. I learned alot from all of it. My resilience was pushed to the max and I prevailed. I'm still standing.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. UGH.

What's everyone doing this weekend?????????
Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Good for you, VC!!!

Munchkin is feeling better after claiming to have a stomach ache yesterday so she could go to work with me. Hmmmm.... Today we have ballet/workout and swimming at the Y on our agenda.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

That's how you do it, VC! I am so proud of you, lady! Man, what is up with that test? It sounds like something out of a horror film!

Heh, R&A, I remember getting those stomach aches once in a while. Sometimes you just need a day off, lol. It's hard being a munchkin! Sounds like a fun day you're having!

Hooped, what are you up to this weekend?

More gardening for me - this is a pretty big piece of property we get to live on so there is a lot to do. I saw the first hummingbird of the season yesterday! It's always exciting - kind of like the first bug you see after winter.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Sounds like quite the test VC.. like they had you up in front of the Star Chamber or something. Wow, hope they at least paid you for that 3 hours of stress. They should have bought you lunch after.

Beautiful day here. Mountains are covered with snow still. Pretty to look at cuz down here at sea level.. it's balmy.

Gonna pump some air into my mountain bike tires and go for a ride. Anybody see the moon last night? Awesome here.. like a giant headlight in the sky.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Yeah, I saw the moon.........what do they call it? Super Moon or something? Cause it's the closest it will be to the earth..........it was awesome.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Woke my poor kid up last night to take her outside and see the moon, lol.. very cool!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Saw it here too. Incredible! The world is a beautiful place when you take the time to look.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Technically, that's not the world... But I guess we were standing here when we saw it.

Happy new week, Decemberitos.

PS: I definitely take more time to look than I did before I quit drinking. Sometimes I wonder: would I appreciate life as much if I had never been through addiction in the first place?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Technically, that's not the world... But I guess we were standing here when we saw it.
LOL smart@ss. Good question though... I have to think about that.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Never did pump my tires up yesterday. Started drinking at noon for some stupid reason (just a couple of course).. and it turned into an all day/night session.

Back on track again today (although I'm very disappointed in myself).

What a waste of a beautiful day yesterday.

I had a few some weeks back with no ill effects at the time.
Which of course was the worst thing that could happen cuz it gives the illusion that all is well ...and somehow a drink is possible once in a while...
NOT

Of course that just opens the door to the slippery slope again, I knew it, you all know it. Very sneaky disease this alcoholism.

Not hung over or anything... and I'm not posting to apologize.

Just doing this to hold myself accountable and just for today I am not going to drink.

Hope you all have a great week and honest to goodness... a drink is just not worth it.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Ah, Hooped, I am sorry. But I am really glad you're back here, and pulled out of the nosedive after just one day.

You are absolutely right. Alcohol will never, ever, ever bring me anything but misery. I have completely given up any notion of ever drinking normally—or happily.

Have you heard of the concept of static time? It holds there are no time distinctions, no difference between "now" and "then," but only one uninterrupted present moment that stretches through your entire life. Applied to recovery, it can replace "one day at a time" with "one moment at a time." And since that one moment stretches out over the horizon, the fact that we're not drinking now proves we can go without it forever....

Which is my way of saying that not only can you do it, but you already are doing it. And there will be more beautiful days to enjoy.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Glad you're back with us Hooped
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Dee said something in a post.....not sure if it was this thread or another..........something to the effect of, I can have a good life and be the person I want to be..........or I can drink.

How profound.

Hugs to you Hooped.

Doing ok, had a couple nice days off...........back to the grind tomorrow. BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I can have a good life and be the person I want to be..........or I can drink
Totally. It's the only chance I have for a good life. In fact this whole recovery business has kind of redefined "a good life" for me. That phrase used to conjure images of a picture-perfect nuclear family (and other stuff I didn't have). Now "a good life" makes me think of things like being accepting, calm, free, and productive. Internal stuff, not external. Yep, I like this life a lot better.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
I can have a good life and be the person I want to be..........or I can drink.
Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Internal stuff, not external.
Yes, totally. Honestly, when I was drinking I was waaayy better off financially. Someone just looking at my life as an outsider would probably have thought that things were pretty good for me. I had plenty of money, nothing but free time to spend it/travel/lay around a look pretty, lots of "friends," connections, basically any material thing I could want. That was really nice for a while because I have also lived homeless and completely destitute. It came at a price though. I kind of sold my soul along w/everything else. I live very modestly now and I love the peace I feel. I wouldn't trade that for a drink, or anything else for that matter.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Well that's the coolest thingI've heard all day. You deserve that peace, GFCO. You deserved it all along; I'm glad you finally claimed it for yourself. Glad I did, too.

Came home tonight and the jasmine outside my window bloomed at all once. The smell is unbelievable. Looks like an early summer this year.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I can relate R&A, I went to one of our local nurseries (as in plants, lol) the other day and just stopped and smelled the wonderful flowers in there.........it's soooo relaxing!

Everything is so green. The world seems to have new hope to me.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Do you garden, VC? I can't remember if I asked that before or not.