Notices

Codependency and Beyond Part 22

Old 12-10-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
mergirl

Sunday, December 11, 2011
You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go
Affirmations

One of our choices in recovery is choosing what we want to think - using our mental energy positively.

Positive mental energy, positive thinking, does not mean we think unrealistically or revert to denial. If we don't like something, we respect our own opinion. If we spot a problem, we're honest about it. if something isn't working out, we accept reality. But we don't dwell on the negative parts of our experience.

Whatever we give energy to, we empower.

There is magic in empowering the good, because whatever we empower grows bigger. One way to empower the good is through affirmations: simple positive statements we make to ourselves: I love myself... I'm good enough... My life is good...I'm glad I'm alive today... What I want and need is coming to me... I can...

Our choice in recovery is not whether to use affirmations. We've been affirming thoughts and beliefs since we were old enough to speak. The choice in recovery is what we want to affirm.

Today, I will empower the good in myself, others, and life. I'm willing to release, or let go of, negative thought patterns and replace them with positive ones. I will choose what I want to affirm, and I will make it good
Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
mergirl

ack! Just found out there is a party today (we only pick up our mail every week or so) for MW's 3 year old grand son and I have been instructed to attend.

Its one of those situations I wish I had a crystal ball, to know whether his 12 year old will be there and what is best for her
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

(((Lisa))) - hope all went well with the b'day party.

I just finished the work for class #3, still have 2 papers to write. I know I have 2 A's (seriously doubt I failed a paper, so pretty sure), the other classes could be B's or C's, depending on the paper grades. Am letting it go, still working on the last 2, as the "instructor" keeps changing requirements. If I don't turn them in, at all, would still have a C, but really would like to try for a B.

However, my perfectionist streak is not as persuasive as usual, and I just want to do my best and get it over with. Have about 3 weeks off before heading back for the next semester.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-11-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
mergirl

I decided not to go. I want his youngest to spend as much time with her sibs as possible. It wont always be this way =)

I took a walk up the beach a little while ago at dusk, and ran across mountain lion tracks. Although my workout was cut short,I got in some intense cardio hustling back HAHAH
Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
mergirl

Monday, December 12, 2011
God's Will

Each day, ask God what God wants us to do today; then ask God to help. A simple request, but so profound and far reaching it can take us anywhere we need to go.

Listen: all that we want, all that we need, all the answers, all the help, all the good, all the love, all the healing, all the wisdom, all the fulfillment of desire is embodied in this simple request. We need say no more than Thank You.

This Plan that has been made for us is not one of deprivation. It is one of fullness, joy, and abundance. Walk into it.

See for yourself.

Today, I will ask God to show me what God wants me to do for this day, and then ask for help to do that. I will trust that is sufficient to take me into light and joy.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

prayers for peace, love, laughter & joy to each of you ~

I posted all the details in the F & F of substance abuse forum - going thru a few rough days with Kaileigh & her dad - just painful for her but grateful he is alive and yet so afraid for the next time he will disappear -

This is like living my marriage all over again only now it's with my grandchild & step-son instead of my husband and children . . .

feeling a little emotionally tired. . .

PINK HUGS my sweet friends,
Rita
Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Rita, your courage is humbling and you all remain in my prayers.

I had a really busy weekend with a guest, and learned so much about myself. Some good, some bad. Our friend has a very gentle spirit and easy going nature, so I immediately felt revitalized with the breath of fresh air. I'm still putting it all together in my cranium, and realizing where I need more self improvement.

Our friend is a recovering addict, though he's never formally worked a program. He changed his life 20 years ago after a horrid car wreck, and embraces the parts of himself that lead to cocaine and alcohol abuse. He stays so busy he even cleaned my counters while I finished getting ready to take him to the airport. Boredom is his enemy and he does whatever he has to, to keep it at bay. His kids adore him because he can keep up with them and wants to. He put all his focus on what matters most.

I allowed him to be in my mirror for the weekend, and saw once again that I've not always focused on what matters most. No beating myself up this time, though. Instead, I'll use his reflection to stay focused NOW. In a nutshell, he has what I want
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Quick catch-up to say that I am grateful for you all, and that you are in my prayers for continuing clarity and peaceful action.

I spent the weekend with a friend who totally gets on my nerves. Or should I say, would have in past times. I was able to practice loving detachment and not absorb her negativity. I felt good on the outside AND the inside. For all you who know what it's like to go around faking a smile but seething on the inside....it was a miracle. I not only kept it together and didn't snap at her.....I didn't FEEL LIKE snapping at her.

******{May Rita's God of Her Understanding Carry Her And Comfort Her}}}}
Old 12-13-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
mergirl

Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Giving

Don't be afraid of giving.

For a while, we may need to back off from giving as we learn to discern the difference between healthy giving and caretaking, which leave us feeling victimized and others feeling resentful.

This is a temporary spot.

To be healthy, to do our part in this spiritual way of life, to be part of the endless cycle of the Universe, guided by our Creator, we need to give and receive.

Both parts are important.

What is healthy giving?

This is a fine lined behavior each of us must seek to understand for ourselves. It is giving that feels good and does not leave us feeling victimized.

It is giving that holds the giver and the receiver in high esteem.

It is giving based on a desire to do it rather than from a sense of guilt, pity, shame, or obligation.

It is giving with no strings attached. Or it is giving based on a clean, direct contract.

Whether it is giving our time, efforts, energy, comfort, nurturing, money, or ourselves, it is giving that we can afford.

Giving is part of the chain of giving and receiving. We can learn to give in healthy ways; we can learn to give in love. We need to keep an eye on our giving, to make sure it has not crossed the line into caretaking. But we need to learn to give in ways that work for us and others.

Today, God, guide me in my giving. Help me give to others in healthy ways. Help me give what feels right, what feels good, what feels clean, and what I can afford.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
mergirl

all of your posts touched me today especially, and I thank you. I was feeling pretty edgy about the holidays this morning and sometimes I forget

I am ok

you are all ok

right now

anyway, per usual, what I was getting worked up about ended up being worked out

and then I get to come here and listen to people who are striving along side with me to live a different kind of life

and I am so grateful to you all
Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I've always been told that a great way to lighten my heart is to count my blessings. . .

So today I'm grateful for each of you and the ability to Breathe Just Breathe!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Feeling very grateful today. I just found out that my job of doing the stores is okay, for now. Boss had a conference call and we are to continue as normal, no changes expected for "several months". I'm still looking for a better job, but this will keep me going.

I'd had a few anxious moments, times when I thought "OMG, I don't have a JOB!!!" but overall? I don't know if it's faith or denial, but I just believed that things would work out.

I'm trying to finish up my last 2 papers, have gotten one final grade and found out my favorite instructor just had a baby - yipeee!! She is an awesome lady, and I'm really happy for her. By Sunday night, I will be done with this semester and have a break until Jan. 9th, during which time I will go visit my SR friend with the horses, and work

Dad just laughed at me, as stepmom came home with some fresh pecans and I asked if we had a "pecan-open-upper" Oh yeah, they're called "shellers" and no, we don't have one but I'm sure we can figure it out and make pecan pies.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm very happy for you Amy! Your immediate needs are being met and you'll get a break, too
Old 12-15-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yeah Amy on the job issue!! on and those pecan thingys - we call them "crackers" - shorter version of nutcrackers ~

Hope everyone has a wonderful day - filled with peace, laughter, serenity and NO confrontations with the disease ~ at least for one day right?

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

SO HAPPY FOR YOU AMY! A break, a breather, so well deserved after all your hard work and patient fortitude!

Rita, wishing you a peaceful restful energy-recharging day.

"I am responsible for my own happiness" So often, I think it's not appropriate for me to be happy if others are sad. I'm practicing being happy today! What a gift.

Hope all are well today!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Doing another happy dance Just got the grade for my final paper in the instructor's class that had the baby. It was graded by the department head, got a 100 on it and the comment that it was "excellent!" and that I have a very good grasp at writing papers in the format we use.

Not only am I thrilled, but also feel good that the instructor, who spent soooo much time in working with us on the papers, is a bit validated when her boss reads good papers because of her work. A bit codie? I don't think so...I just like people to be recognized for their hard work.

So, I've gotten 2 A's. The rest of the courses may be B's or C's, but it's okay either way. It was a tough semester, started off with my cousin's funeral and getting behind, figuring how to do stuff and not go crazy, which I still did, but it's a good learning experience.

I also believe that the one "problem" instructor is just that. If she grades papers, and we do badly, it's not US, it's her.

Would not BE in this frame of mind, if it weren't for all of you and learning that doing the best I can do is just fine.

Excuse me while I go do a happy dance

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
mergirl

Thursday, December 15, 2011
Feelings

It's okay to have and feel our feelings - all of them.

Years into recovery, we may still be battling with ourselves about this issue. Of all the prohibitions we've lived with, this one is potentially the most damaging and the most long-lived.

Many of us needed to shut down the emotional part of ourselves to survive certain situations. We shut down the part of us that feels anger, sadness, fear, joy, and love. We may have turned off our sexual or sensual feelings too. Many of us lived in systems with people who refused to tolerate our emotions. We were shamed or reprimanded for expressing feelings, usually by people who were taught to repress their own.

But times have changed. It is okay now for us to acknowledge and accept our emotions. We don't need to allow our emotions to control us; neither do we need to allow our emotions to control us; neither do we need to rigidly repress our feelings. Our emotional center is a valuable part of us. It's connected to our physical well being, our thinking, and our spirituality.

Our feelings are also connected to that great gift, instinct. They enable us to give and receive love.

We are neither weak nor deficient for indulging in our feelings. It means we're becoming healthy and whole.

Today, I will allow myself to recognize and accept whatever feelings pass through me. Without shame, I will tune in to the emotional part of myself
Old 12-16-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
mergirl

Friday, December 16, 2011
Taking Care of Ourselves Emotionally

What does it mean to take care of myself emotionally? I recognize when I'm feeling angry, and I accept that feeling without shame or blame.

I recognize when I'm feeling hurt, and I accept those feelings without attempting to punish the source of my pain. I recognize and feel fear when that emotion presents itself.

I allow myself to feel happiness, joy, and love when those emotions are available. Taking care of myself means I've made a decision that it's okay to feel.

Taking care of my emotions means I allow myself to stay with the feeling until it's time to release it and go on to the next one.

I recognize that sometimes my feelings can help point me toward reality, but sometimes my feelings are deceptive. They are important, but I do not have to let them control me. I can feel, and think too.

I talk to people about my feelings when that's appropriate and safe.

I reach out for help or guidance if I get stuck in a particular emotion.

I'm open to the lessons my emotions may be trying to teach me. After I feel, accept, and release the feeling, I ask myself what it is I want or need to do to take care of myself.

Taking care of myself emotionally means I value, treasure, explore, and cherish the emotional part of myself.

Today, I will take care of myself emotionally. I will be open to, and accepting of, the emotional part of myself and other people. I will strive for balance by combining emotions with reason, but I will not allow intellect to push the emotional part of myself away
Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
mergirl

Saturday, December 17, 2011
Nurturing Ourselves

Many of us have been so deprived of nurturing that we think it's silly or self-indulgent. Nurturing is neither silly nor self-indulgent; it's how we show love for ourselves. That's what we're striving for in recovery - a loving relationship with ourselves that works, so we can have loving relationships with others that work.

When we hurt, we ask ourselves what we need to help us feel better. When we feel alone, we reach out to someone safe. Without feeling that we are a burden, we allow that person to be there for us.

We rest when we're tired; eat when we're hungry; have fun or relax when our spirits need a lift. Nurturing means giving ourselves gifts - a trip to the beauty salon or barbershop, a massage, a book, a new jacket, or a new suit or dress. It means a long, hot bath to forget about our problems and the world for a few moments when that would feel good.

We learn to be gentle with ourselves and to open up to the nurturing that others have to offer us.

As part of nurturing ourselves, we allow ourselves to give and receive positive touch - touch that feels appropriate to us, touch that is safe. We reject touch that doesn't feel good or safe and is not positive.

We learn to give ourselves what we need in a gentle, loving, compassionate way. We do this with the understanding it will not make us lazy, spoiled, self centered, or narcissistic. Nurtured people are effective in their work and in their relationships.

We will learn to feel loved by ourselves so much that we can truly love others and let them love us.

Today, I will nurture myself. I will also be open to the nurturing that I can give to others and receive from them
Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

(((Lisa))) - thanks for the readings.

I'll be driving to PA and back with dad tomorrow (after church). There's a chance of snow up there, and where we are going is considered "the heart of Amish country" - I absolutely LOVE being in "Amish country" - they live life so simple, gracious and grateful. Reminds of what is REALLY important in life, though I must admit, I still like my electronic gizmos

Hugs and prayers,

Amy