Notices

Class of November 2011 pt 2

Old 12-06-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  
Press Start To Continue

Originally Posted by CatFry View Post
So I know that alcohol can block some vitamins from being absorbed and is really high in sugar. It is the blocked vitamins that can cause Korsakoff's Syndrome, aka wet brain. Those depletions plus all that old sugar, could that be why we're all eating so much?
I'm sure that's part of it. I would guess that another component is all the damage our bodies need to repair as a result of long-time drinking. Need lots of good quality nutrition for that.

Day 12!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

I went back and read part I of our November start up thread. We are missing a lot of people! I hope the best for them.
I know - I hope some of them have just been too busy to write.

Marine - Good to see you almost back in the double digits - where off to lately?

Stevie88, NESfan, Vantrina - I hope the cravings are getting lighter as the days go by. I feel like mine peeked at about 19 days and then have gotten better going forward. Hang in there.

CatFry/Berdant - chugging along I see.

Good to see you're doing well Alaska - I hope everything has settled down with your kids.

Things have been a lot easier these last few days - I'm still concerned about some socializing I have coming up - I have an ornament exchange at PF Changs with the girls - I hope to sit next to some non-drinkers. I don't know these Moms all that much so only 1 or 2 will be surprised that I'm not drinking. Work holiday party this Friday but it's during the day so I'm going to say I have to drive the kids around that night. So I'm lining up what I'm going to say etc but in the long run I'm finding that people really don't care.

I just have to keep telling myself - never again because I keep having thoughts of "Oh I can have just 1 or 2 a year - that can't hurt anything" So I keep reading on these boards when people go back to have just 1 and they don't stop because I'm pretty sure that would be me. I had stopped for 6 days back in 2009 and took someone up on just one glass of wine and I went right back.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Hope there's enough food in the house Stevie... I'm just jealous because I can't eat much without gaining weight - but I'm not working out yet either - that's going to be my New Years resolution.

Day 34 for me!!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Stay strong, Tigger and have fun.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

I ran/walked one marathon in September, Polo.... went downhill from there. Hoping to get back in better shape to actually run the whole way with one in the Spring. I was getting up early and going out for a run in the summer. Now back to getting my sobriety on, it's hard to get up early in the morning... so I'm opting for after work until my sleep regulates better.

Tigger... May just be an accurate picture of Stevie...
What do YOU think Stevie?? Personally, I'm starting to think you're half wolf

Tres... here's a good training technique for your mind... when you think you need to chill out... think 'tea' - not wine. It's working for me.... so far.

YEAH ALASKA! Nice to see you

Tigger... just a thought - I'm not too much on 'virgin' drinks, but if you don't want cola's or whatever, it could work. UNLESS, you think it may make you want the real thing. Most non-alcoholic beers taste downright nasty to me so I'd prefer a cola... diet, of course. When I go to Red Lobster though (like once a year), I always have to get a virgin Pina Colada... it's sweet and it's my treat.

Having a rough day today. On Day 13 - don't want to drink or anything, but therapy session last night was hard. Unbeknownst to my therapist, something got set off at the very end and I'm feeling really 'done' with this whole healing process thing. I won't go into it, but I'm really trying to just get through the day

Glad everyone is still on board
Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  
FML

Day 10
Had a dream I was playing piano in a Spinal Tap reunion concert Sounds awesome and funny but it was anything but. I did not want to do it. tried to tell them "I can't..I haven't played in 2 years" (not 100% true but it might as well be) They told me to just play by ear and I was rushed on stage. It wasn't a big show..the audience was small and had a lot of people I grew up with. I got the courage to start playing and it sounded aweful. I got really embarassed and stopped.
I had a very similar dream last week where I was being rushed on stage by 4 friends from high school, we were dressed up like an 80s hair band (i know wtf?) and I had my guitar. I tried to tell them know and they were like "come on! It will be fun! We will make it up as we go". None of them play so I was the only one with an instrument and I said "easy for you to say! All you guys have to do is sing!". Again I felt pressured and embarrassed.
I have been thinking a lot about getting back into my music and art, but obviously that's not all those dreams are about.
I've also woken up with a minor headache the past 3 mornings. They go away after about half an hour.
Last night my temper got the best of me. I found myself in a horrible mood and I felt the blood boil on my face. That has only happened to me several times in my life. I literally felt my face burning with rage. Luckily it came and went quickly but I'm not sure why it happened. I was just really irritated.
Other than that things are going good. I'm steadily losing the weight I've put on. Like many of you, I've been on a junk food/ eating spree but I am craving sugar a lot less now. My face is clearing up..my complexion has been pretty crappy for the past 2 months.

Sarah1414- you are lucky your Christmas party will be in a setting like that. The Christmas party I'll be going to next weekend, they've rented a VIP room at a comedy club and are going to have a private bar Transportation is going to be provided for those who want it. I'm not worried that I will cave but it's still going to suck not being able to take advantage of that. I knew I'd have to deal with stuff like this if I didn't put off quitting until New Years, but I also know that theres 0% chance I will make a huge ass of myself or spend the next day in bed.

Tres- I know that fight or flight feeling. I have it often. You mentioned thinking about red wine... I've never really had a favorite drink but for some reason whenever I think about alcohol its red wine that appeals to me.
I haven't been to the gym in almost 2 weeks, mostly because I've had a weird sickness that keeps starting to go away only to come right back. The last time I ran was 11 days ago, the day before I last drank. I can't wait to get back in the zone. I plan on going to the gym today because I think I might just have allergies. If nothing else I'll just do weights.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Hey everybody, Day 26 for me. Dark, gloomy and drizzly here which makes me feel kinda blah. Just had breakfast and gonna head out to the gym in a few. Hope everyone has a great day
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

I joined late the month! (26th was my last day of drinking)
I am at day 10 and still going strong and fighting the urges! This site has been a lifesaver.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatFry View Post
Does anyone know where to find Dee's success story? I would love to read it and learn more about the mysterious Dee ; )
Dee's story is in the thread: Stories of Recovery.

Still have this darn head cold and it's really bumming me out. I had really planned on enjoying this holiday season and doing things with my children but so far that is not happening. Praying it clears up soon.

Day 10 hear and still not missing the wine at all.

There's so much relief in walking away from it. Everytime I went back to it I felt like I ended up in a trap or a nasty pit. I knew the only way out was to quit completely but I alway convinced myself I could do that tomorrow. Tomorrows came and went, came and went. I knew that it had gotten bad when I said I'm done one Sunday morning and threw my bottle of wine in the garbage. Well, that night I actually went back out to the trash can, pulled the dirty bottle out of the garbage and drank it. I realized soon after what a pathetic addict I had become.

I share this with my cyber friends only. If I told this to any of my real life friends, they wouldn't have believed it. I'm not "that" type of person. Well, I am. I was good at hiding it.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

No travels this week, Tigger, but next week I am in Chicago a few days. Brrrr. Just getting things done in the office this week.

Tonight I have the wine tasting party (business function) and wondering how that will work for us non-drinkers. I don't even feel like tasting any wine, yet the craving is still there ... A big reason I continue to feel its just a bad HABIT for me.

Did anyone see the "FDA approved" hangover cure on the evening news last night? May have just been on the local news. What a joke. Some kind of concoction called a blowfish which is nothing more than caffeine and aspirin.

Till later.....
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Marine... If you have to go, just go and be yourself. It's the new you. You don't have to do what everyone else is doing - be proud of that. It's fermented poison anyway... sort of like mold and mildew... ok maybe not, but now you have that picture in your head.... And if it gets to you... get out

Sarah.... hope that cold dissipates soon!! Congrats on your 10!

Congrats on your 10 as well Voice!

Hi Jay... gloomy here too - for the last couple days... I'd almost rather have snow than rainy cold weather... that'll be soon enough I suppose
Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Sorry, FML... Also a big congrats on your day 10
Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

So, Stevie.... it's come down to the question everyone wants to know the answer to.... what are we eating today??? :rotfxko
Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
Hi Jay... gloomy here too - for the last couple days... I'd almost rather have snow than rainy cold weather... that'll be soon enough I suppose
I'm actually one of the few people who actually enjoy snow. I'd much rather that than this dark, dreary weather. I feel silly knowing that the weather can affect my mood.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  
- Motivated -

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
So, Stevie.... it's come down to the question everyone wants to know the answer to.... what are we eating today??? :rotfxko
I know at least two Snickers bars are on the menu.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  
Press Start To Continue

Originally Posted by Jay1980 View Post
I'm actually one of the few people who actually enjoy snow. I'd much rather that than this dark, dreary weather..
My boss is like this, too, and I do not get it. Maybe if I had to shovel rain it would be a different story, but snow is just a massive pain in my ... back. I did buy a snowblower a couple months ago so here's hoping this winter will be easier.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't even feel like tasting any wine, yet the craving is still there ... A big reason I continue to feel its just a bad HABIT for me

Personally I think it's more than a habit Marine....many of us spend years trying to get rid of the booze. Its roots can go pretty deep.

The cravings were always the most dangerous thing for me.

Do you really need to go to the wine tasting Marine?

D
Old 12-06-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Tired, a lot going on this month at home, I'm a bit stressed over money after having to pay for my FIL funeral and all the Christmas shopping we've been doing - rainy and yucky out - want a glass of wine... really badly - at least my AV wants a glass. Wish I didn't - wish I wasn't having thoughts of "maybe I can control my drinking just through the Holidays" wish I could just go to bed but I have to make it through the next few hours.

Hope everyone else is having a good day. Hang in there - good thing I don't have to run out and get a bottle tonight because it's a real yucky day.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Yes, Dee, I have to go. My company is hosting it. That's the problem being in a sales job. I will be fine though. I am committed to not drinking. The weather is nasty out, it's foggy and rainy. Even the "old" Marine wouldn't drink having to drive home in that. I am going to arrive late and try to sneak out early. Can blame it on the weather. Always a good excuse.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  
Administrator

A plan is always good

D
Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Hi Guys,

Just checking in. Raining here too. I definitely need to go to the gym. Hopefully m sleep schedule will regulate this week and I'll get over there.

Congrats to everyone on their progress : )