Notices

Class Of October 2011 pt 4

Old 12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

(((Tanja))) Sending you and your mother prayers and hugs. Hang in there.

M
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I love this not-counting stuff but I usually get curious when I'm bored. 45 days today sober! .

@Dee74 - Thanks for the respect, it's only midnight and I haven't seen any emoticons come out of my closet to attack me so I think I'm making progress.

@Deserto - Isn't that how you make a fire? You forgot the stick!

@LittleSparrow - Thank you , I'll be hitting my book tomorrow and hopefully it'll help me. Congratulations on Day 60 and 61 ! I never heard of "ginger beer" and was concerned but I looked it up and it makes me want to try it. I love ginger ale for some odd reason. Glad everything went well at the dinner and glad your new dog is getting better.. Hopefully the house training won't take too long.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

So it's 1 AM.. I'm focused and ready to post

Oh look.. Gummy candies that look like Fish!

I wanted to ask a serious question, I try to browse and post as much as possible and give encouragement or respond when I have time but this just came up and I'm curious.

What are your views on taking cough / cold medicine? Since a lot of them contain alcohol. That would be dangerous for someone taking antabuse. So what do recovering alcoholics / people taking antabuse take to cure their colds? Maybe I'm answering my own question here but would it be in pill-only form?

I really don't know what my stance on it would be. I'm split I guess.

PS: No, I am not sick and I'm pretty healthy except for the junk food I eat. I'm just asking in case I ever do get sick (or hopefully we can answer for someone who has the same question)
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure the cold medicine pills don't have alcohol in them, so I'd personally be OK with it. Lots of water and rest works about as good as any cold medicine, though, so skipping it totally wouldn't be a huge loss, imo.

So it's Friday night, and I'm hanging in there. Went out to a show and am now home and wide awake. I guess I'll read or something. No work this weekend, which is great. I'm going on a big trip a week from now, so I guess I should spend part of the weekend getting ready for that. Eek.

Interestingly, my husband again had a crappy morning because of school stress (he was working on this big project and having trouble getting it together at the last minute). I felt like I could actually help without getting too into his misery, so maybe that's progress. In the past, I'd just detach whenever he was having a hard time because it would make me so uncomfortable.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

Every major cold med I know of has an alcohol free version, or a equivalent alc-free alternative, at least where I live.

Have to admit it's been many years since I've taken anything tho, alcoholic or not.

D
Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone. for all the warm birthday wishes...you really made me feel great.

I had a good birthday. I took the day off work and went to two local meetings. The first was an awesome meditation meeting, and the second was a step meeting. My lovely sponsor came, and i spoke to a number of women who were so warm toward me. When i meditated i counted my blessings for fifteen minutes...must have found a hundred things to be thankful for, really improved my outlook. I went to dinner with my family and i ordered a big bottle of pellegrino for the table. There is a new holiday bottle, festive and decorative, so it felt special.

i slept for eight hours last night. my life is so dramatically changed with deep sleep. i had a good decade of interrupted sleep, waking thirsty and restless in the night, getting up in the morning feeling hungover and depleted, my energy sapped for the day. i feel so much more energy now. i am not sure what to do with it. spending more time reading and doing housework, trying to catch up at my job. i hope that i can turn my life around and move in a more positive direction, where i am not stuck and sabotaging myself. i want to free myself to move forward and face my feelings, good and bad, figure out who i am in my heart.

thanks for reading. sending peace and strength today.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good Morning, all!

@ Goodcheer, I am so happy you had a great birthday! If you get a chance, try the San Pellegrino Orange Aranciata. It has become my most favorite drink.

@ Gerbosko, It's awesome that you are going back to school for your GED!
As far as the cold medicine question goes, I guess that depends on you. I was sick last week, and took a cold/flu medicine, and didn't even bother to check if it had alcohol or not, and did not have a problem if it did.

@ Sadsoul, thank you for the well wishes, most appreciated.

On another note, today marks 7 weeks for me, and I have had trouble sleeping again. Before it was just the nightmares, and now, it's just trying to fall asleep. Any thoughts on this? Also, has anyone heard from Honeypie? I know she came out to L.A., but she has not posted this time, as she did last.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Has anyone seen 'Requiem for a dream' - I just watched about 3 minutes of a clip from it on youtube and it's put me off any kind of drugs for life. I don't think I'd want to watch the film but I just wondered if anyone here has and, if so, what they thought of it.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Quick hi from LA. Still here! Really busy, stressed....trying to keep it together. With son so this is short. Will post tomorrow when back home. Keep up the great work all!! Hi boz boz!! Waving from hotel lobby!!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Lol! Hi Honeypie, glad all is well.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Argonaut

@goodcheer Happy B-day!

Mine was one day earlier, 1st of December, turned 32 sigh. I have been depressed since Time is flying so fast, it seems I haven't done anything with my life the last 12 years or so. No career, no wife or kids, not many friends. Perhaps being and staying sober will be the turning point. Day 51.

Currently at 4 mg Valium daily. Despite the slow taper the withdrawal symptoms from Valium are slowly creeping up. Nothing compared to the ones a few weeks ago, when I tapered way too fast, but the amnesia, lack of concentration and brain fog are back. I read a post, want to reply to it, lose my concentration and... get stuck on a sentence like this one for 5 minutes. At least there is the "thanks" button

Stay strong everyone, we can do it together!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday to you too Geralt.

I'm a firm believer in good things coming to those who wait....and I'm glad the good things I have in my life now came to me when I was ready to receive them and treasure them like I should. I would have broken & squandered them before....

You have a lot of life yet, Geralt

D
Old 12-03-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

God, I'm so looking forward to enjoying this sleep thing. My schedule will be mostly normal starting late this month, so yay. And I'm going to start working out again this week because I think my ankle can at least handle low impact now. Can't do a single leg jump on it, which I think means impact is still out. And I'm going to be doing a ton of walking on my upcoming vacation, so I need to take it easy before then.

Goodcheer, happy birthday!

Gerbosko, good for you for pursuing your GED. And congrats again on the new gig.

Geralt, benzos are a bitch to get off, so take the time you need to do it right. 4 mg of valium is very little, so you're on the right track.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

honeypie...general...boz...dee...geralt...spain... .hi there!!

hope all is going all right honeypie...miss you!!!

Happy Birthday Geralt! Dee is right, you have a lot of living ahead of you. you are on the right track! spain is right, you are doing great and should take the time you need to withdraw slowly and completely. i expect that you will find new peace in your life, clarity will return and you will have more energy, and you will begin to become interested in things and your life will move in new directions. can't wait to hear of your progress!

wishing everyone peace and strength...thanks for being here.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

@General If you mention "Requiem For A Dream", you're going to get a very fast response from me and you'll be the first in my mentions LOL.

This movie is my number 1 favorite movie, no joke! The movie is REALLY weird, it is about drug addiction and it's how they spiral out of control. You'll probably be sitting there after the movie is finished and thinking about what you just saw. It's a very powerful and moving movie. I 100% recommend it, you will not be disappointed.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Geralt! Happy Birthday, buddy!

I didn't notice until now, you and I have the same sobriety date.

I'm with Dee when he says "Good things come to those who wait."

I am 32, I do not have a husband or children, but I do believe that there is a reason for that. We're all just begining to find out who we are in our sobriety, it's like a do over. You know what I mean? We get to do this all over again, but this time sober and wiser, (hopefully, lol). Try not to let any of that get you down.

@ Gerbosko, lol!!! Just had to leave you with that, ha haa...I have a bit of a mean streak. Tee hee hee

Have a good night, everyone.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

@bozboz

I am 32,
Should be

I am 32 and an internet troll!
LOL
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

@ Gerbosko... Tee hee hee...
Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, Geralt 7 you and Bozboz make me feel old! You're 22 years younger than me. I'm a bit jealous!

I've been lucky in my life in many respects, and I always used to say I had no regrets, but now I have - I wish I'd stopped drinking earlier. Like perhaps when I was 32! (Like perhaps when I was 17).

You know how this sobriety ride is a real rollercoaster - well I'm on a bit of a crest at present. I'm really enjoying being sober. I'm running regularly and cycling and reading and I'm getting the urge to paint in watercolours again. It's 8 weeks today and I'm starting to feel it's a bit of a miracle. Really. So glad I didn't cave in when it was hard - which no doubt it will be again. But for the moment, it's a blast.

I feel like both me and my old body are waking up! I'm even thinking about doing another Ironman tri.

Anyway, enough rambling - I'm sat here at my desk with my coffee and I'm dead happy: wife and kids in bed but will be up soon and off to the big bike shop for some shiny new led lights and lunch in the cafe - I'm excited like I was 45 years ago.

Gerbosko - Yes, I thought it was dead weird and I only watched 3 minutes - it seemed a bit scary weird - is it a disturbing film? The music is haunting - can't get it out of my head.

I'm tempted to say "Hugs and kisses to all" but, being English, I'll just wish you all a jolly nice day.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi all - haven't posted for ages, but have really enjoyed, and benefitted from reading all your posts. You all seem to be so much better at expressing yourselves than I am. There seems to be a general air of optimism and quiet strength amongst the Octobers that is wonderful & inspiring. I'm still doing ok - no alcohol for over 2 months and no nicotine for over a month - & loving it! Happy Sunday to all.