Notices

August Sobriety 2009 Part 12

Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

ANEW, good for you for working with another alcoholic.

And congratulations to your son!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
PC!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for checking in! Maybe give us an update sometime when you get a chance? Hope you are well. Happy Thanksgiving.
You all are in inspiration, I can say that.

I am at a turning point in my life - gee, it only took three years lol. I am done using my husband's problems as an excuse for my own. I am tired of beating myself up, etc - you all know the routine. He is what he is, and he is not going to change - but I must. I must for myself, because I'm going to end up killing myself if I don't. I thought some of my "inside" issues would go away when I had my gallbladder removed, but it's been seven months now and not all have. (Yes, my doctor for a full physical is a next step - although the surgeon did say everything looked good in there when he did the surgery, and I had informed him of my drinking before the surgery.)

So, I found Smart Recovery (actually through here). Their forum isn't as good as this one for support, but their program is way more up my alley than AA. There's a meeting at my mother's church on Saturdays - I haven't been to one yet, though. Instead, I have applied to participate in a research study that is looking at three options: participate in only an on-line instruction program, or participate only in face-to-face meetings, or do both. I was accepted last month but got a bit spooked and dropped the ball. I've emailed them again to see if the offer is still open. If it isn't, then I'll probably just go to the next face-to-face meeting on Saturday.

I suppose you could say I am on Day 2. I decided Sunday night that enough was enough. What is so pathetic is that I had to argue with myself repeatedly at the grocery store (I had to grocery shop after work yesterday) about not buying something - when the reality is that there's all sorts of "something" I could have at home and nobody would care if I did. I think it was an argument that I needed to win , especially since my problems are definitely all in my head. Somethimes I think it would be easier to have the physical addiction as an excuse for my behaviour. That's what Smart Recovery will help me address though, so it should be all good.

That, and I am going to make time for my skating again come Hell or high water. I had even let my lethargy due to drinking stop me from one of my joys in life, because who wants to spin with a hangover? (Well, in reality, I hate spinning without a hangover, but it's something one must do if they expect to compete!). I found a new ice dance partner, and we start lessons together this coming Friday.

Keep your fingers crossed for me - of course, being ornery like I am I have to pick the holidays to try to get my life in order. :P

I still wonder about Breakfree and KC.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update PC. Sorry you are still struggling, but know that a much better life awaits you once a person decides to get sober both physically and mentally. I know you can do this! Best wishes for your Smart meeting.

Sorry I have been pretty absent here lately. We are in the process of training a new assistant at our office, and it has been pretty crazy.

I kind of forgot about Breakfree, but I do have her email address. I will check in with her. I also have KC's address. I will check in with her also. Have a great Wednesday everyone!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad to see you back PC...the December thread is pretty lively if you want to add another string to your bow

D
Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Glad to see you back PurpleCat. Sorry that you are struggling right now. I hope that Smart Recovery can be what you are looking for. I like the concepts in that program, the problem I had is that I could only find 1 meeting per week and it was over 50 miles away. There are probably 200 - 300 AA meetings every week in my area which make it easier for me to use AA.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

((PC))

So nice to see you back here on the 'ole August thread.

I hope SMART recovery will help you on your quest for sobriety. You are right, the only persons behavior we can change, is our own. Please keep us posted about the research study. My online support worked for a number of years. I am thankful this time I have found something that works for me, which includes face to face support.

I too wonder about KC and Breakfree as well as Trader Jane. I hope they are all doing well. Two years ago, one August, we all reached out looking for a solution to our drinking problems and found each other here on SR. I will be forever grateful to the August thread, and its members.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Meow

Me too!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I received an e-mail back from both Breakfree and KC. Breakfree is doing great! She is still occasionally drinking, but it is controlled and seems to be OK with that. I think for some people, they are not really alcoholic and are able to control their drinking once they get life straightened out. I am NOT one of those, however. Even in the AA Big Book, it says that early in our drinking career, some of us may have been able to stop if we would have had the desire to do so before we became full alcoholics. For me, I did not catch it in time. But I suppose some people do.

Breakfree said to tell everyone "hi".

KC has had some struggles, but is still plugging along.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update bdiddy, it's good to hear about some other members of the August 2009 group.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Meow

Thanks bdiddy.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for the update

D
Old 12-12-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Happy Monday everyone. I consumed alcohol this past weekend. Not on purpose though. We hosted a big Christmas party at our house and everyone brought a dish to share. Well, I indulged in a big piece of chocolate cake. I didn't realize until the next day when I checked facebook that the cake was in fact "Kahlua cake". If I never had seen that, I still wouldn't know what I did.

I am not mad, and don't care. I didn't eat it because there was alcohol on it, and obviously there wasn't enough in it to even taste it. It makes me wonder how many times I/we have consumed alcohol and not even known it.

I guess bottom line is it didn't end in a disaster, it didn't trigger a craving, and I didn't do it on purpose to therefore it did not mess with my sobriety. Just sharing what happened.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Meow

Doesn't cooking change the effect of alcohol?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

not as much as people usually think PC

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

glad it all turned out ok bdiddy

D
Old 12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

bdiddy, I read the first two sentences of your post and immediately got worried. I'm glad it's not what I thought!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
not as much as people usually think PC

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

glad it all turned out ok bdiddy

D
Wow. Learn something new every day.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

I am well aware that alcohol is not cooked out of it like so many people think. I have seen that chart before that you posted, D. Thank you for that. As a result, I am very cautious not to eat anything with alcohol in it. I guess sometimes, even being very cautious isn't enough. There were rum balls at the party as well, and my wife told me what they were so I stayed away from them. And there was fudge there as well, but I asked the person who made it if there was alcohol in it. There was not, so I ate some. I guess it just didn't register that the cake may have alcohol in it.

I guess we can just never be too careful.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:12 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Checking in.

The weekend is here and my kids will be home from college today so we will have a few weeks of family time. That will be great but I know it will be different. They aren't kids anymore, they are independent young adults (I wish they could get a little more financially independent, two in college at once is kinda rough, but that will come).

ANEW, are you sponsoring someone? I seem to recall that you were sorta headed in that direction. I don't feel that I'm ready for that. I do chair some meetings, maybe once a week.

bdiddy, get all the projects done that you have on your list because once the new baby comes you are going to have even less time. Oh, and about those college savings plans, save early and save often.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great weekend guys

D
Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

hi, just a check in after too long !

had a rough few months, nursed my dad through cancer, but I didnt pick up . He was so proud of me... reason enough to get through it without.

a few lesser things have happened to, but seem to be emerging at a new place again!!

have had a good read, and good to catch up, congrats on all the birthdays

TB one year, I was so happy when I read that you go girl !