Notices

Class Of March 2011 Part 3

Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Frances, I LOVE your post about having a plan! So important. In the moment, when the craving hits, it's so hard to think rationally. Having some things decided beforehand to fall back on is GREAT thinking!

So ... for today's QOTD:
What are 3 things that you will do to help yourself abstain from drinking the next time you face cravings?

For me, first of all I'll do the same thing that I did a few days ago: post a HELP ME message here. Not a "forgive me", but a "help me" ... which equates to admitting my weakness and asking for your accountability and support before I fall. You people ROCK.

Next, I'm going to make a list tonight of all the reasons I don't want to be a drunk, and why I DO want to be sober. This is something I've done with weight loss, and it helped me a lot. Again, IN THE MOMENT, it's tough to remember why I'm doing it ... having a go-to list will help, I think. (I recommend 30-50 reasons ... it will become very personal after the first dozen or so) If I read through it when I feel weak, or even each morning, I think it will help me to stay focused on my goals.

Third, I'll be very cautious of alone time, such as my every-other-week day off that I'm home alone. I'll be sure to plan things throughout the day with others to keep me accountable, as I have never and will never drive after drinking. If I do end up alone and tempted, I'll take a walk or visit a neighbor until the kids get home.

What are your ideas?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

At what I think is the exact 2 weeks since my last drink (the details are a bit fuzzy) I am proud to say that I was standing on my back lawn in the dark wearing gumboots, purple pjs and a dressing gown covered in pink hearts while shooting my little dog and the neighbours ginger cat with a pump action water pistol. I have not gotten any cooler since getting sober!!!!

March on Marchers
Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Editor

1. I remind my self that the dream is always better than the reality.As it always is with drinking.
2. I yell at myself in my head. DumbA$$ your an alcoholic. You Cannot have a social drink. That is not the reality you live in.
3. I know that I am suppose to be doing this for myself, But my children are a huge driving force in my sobriety. They mention to me daily how I have changed and they know that they can rely on me for anything anytime.That last word is the key. After a certain time on the weekend the oldest knew not to ask me for anything unless it involved going to get more beer. So I would have to say the look on the faces of my children. That is enough to keep me from drinking now. Now that I have seen a glimpse of the light.
TOI- That is some picture you have painted. You Rock.
Keep on Marching
Day by Day
Dave
Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Yep..those all sound like great ideas.

Toi...lol! Dave's right..you painted quite the picture. So funny.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Hey lookinforward - loving the name! Keep fighting the good fight, you know it's worth it
Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Ok, mirage, I have an idea. If your evil-alky voice starts going nuts while your hubby's gone, watch reruns of Bonanza (especially from the years that had Candy in them... he was a minor crush for me) Bet by the end of three or four you'll have fallen for Little Joe and forgotten all about Shawn (not to mention the evel-alky voice)

Stacey, sorry to hear your sad news. I was not able to be at my g'mother's funeral either and it sucked. Please don't pick up, tho... I know you know that won't help a BIT.

TOI, you are hands down the coolest!

lookinforward, I love the imagery of your kids feelin' safe.

Mida, can relate to the sluggishness... I've stumbled on a coupla things that seem to be helping immensely.. I started taking a B complex vitamin every day and eating a cup of Miso soup (complete with seaweed) about 30 minutes before dinner. Don't know if it would work for you but thought I'd throw it out there as the results for me have been pretty remarkable.

Leaving in a couple of hours to go get the girl-child from the airport. Tomorrow we leave at the crack of noon for a three day music festival (Widespread Panic, The Allman Bros, Robert Plant and the Steve Miller Band are the headliners) I'm PUMPED and fortunately it shouldn't be a test of my sobriety as I've never drank when I'm hangin' with the youngun's.

Will post again when we get back. Meanwhile keep up the amazing work everyone.. I agree, there's awesome energy in this space! Thanks for being here
Old 04-13-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Well kids I messed up last night...got toasted, guess I'm not a Marcher anymore =(, I'll still post here tho if thats ok...
Old 04-13-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

(((GenJen)))
See the bus? See TOI in her pink heart dressing gown and gumboots holding the door open? You know the deal...Once a Marcher, always a
Marcher.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

lookinforward...wow. we must be living the same life. Your comments really spoke to me. Thanks. Good idea, PBC. I think I'll put a whiteboard up with my reasons. Enjoy the show. I was a fan of most of those artists, esp. Robert Plant and Allman Bros.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

You guys are pure awesome =)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Thank you Marchers for supporting me during this time, I really appreciate it, HUGS.
In the words of Grandma, "I'm feeling somewhere between horsesh*t and ok. Awwww Gramms

So sorry Genjen and Lofty, although we may technically be Aprilers, we are Marchers in our hearts.

Love you,
Stacy
Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

No sweat, Gen..stick with us, we need ALL of us here. Oh geez..now I'm picturing TOI in her robe holding the bus door open! LOL!

Nancy..haha..ok, I'll at least google the sexy little thing from Bonanza if I start wanting a drink. (Shoot, that's enough to keep me sober right there! ) Sounds like a fun festival..Led Zeppelin is my all time fav, so I gotta love Plant. Saw Page and Plant a couple times when they toured. So cool to see them together, as I was a kid when the band broke up. Anyway..have a great time with your daughter!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Day 24

Just checking in at 24 days and feeling pretty good.

I was a wine drinker, and I've found orange or grape juice to be a great substitute.

Today I was thinking about a benefit I was experiencing: calm, as opposed to conflicted. I love this feeling. I wonder how many quirks we attribute to personality, only to find them to be a side effect of alcohol. Seems like I was conflicted about everything.

Oxford Dictionary of Sports Science & Medicine defines conflict:
3. The tension or stress involved when the satisfaction of specific needs is thwarted by equally attractive or unattractive desires.

Seems appropriate.

On another note, someone, Dave? has mentioned his children as a big motivator in his quit. Boy, can I relate, as this motivator worked for me 15 years ago when I gave up smoking. I wanted to be around for my kids. A motivator like that can really help you keep your eye on the ball. Probably because most of us care more for our children than we do for ourselves.

Crushes - Oh wow, I was pretty sure David Cassidy and I were soulmates, but I guess nobody told him. Had his posters plastered all over my room.

Books - I recently read iWant: My Journey from Addiction and Overconsumption to a Simpler, Honest Life by Jane Velez-Mitchell. It forever changed me. I highly recommend it.

Slow and steady wins the race Marchers!

Marching on...
Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Genjen (((hugs))) and I thought we'd covered the once a Marcher always a Marcher bit

TOI, the scenario you described sounds worthy of YouTube to me lol

Nancy, thanks for the tip and I'll definitely try it! Do you make your own miso?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Maybe we should start posting good recipes on here
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Stacey, I'm so sorry for your loss. Genjen (and others), you are always welcome here! This is THE bus to be on, ya know?

I'm hanging in. I think I've either turned a corner today or else my prozac has finally kicked in, because I've had more interest in doing things today. I came home from work, ran some errands, did some yard work, fed the dogs and cat, and still feel like I could do more. But I'm going to force myself to relax now so that I can get a good night's sleep. In a minute I'll make my hot chocolate and settle in.

It's day 20, so tomorrow I shall have three weeks done. I haven't been going to many AA meetings this time around; just been to a couple and I'm wondering if perhaps AA just isn't my thing. It's good to know that it's there, though, if I feel like I need help. Mostly I think this thread and you all help me the most.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
orangutan

Stacey so sorry for your loss.

Well I saw the doc. today and it was not good news. My liver count is higher despite all my effort this year I have had more sober days than days where I fell of the wagon, if I did fall it was only by one day and I got straight back on. Today I had more blood tests this time for hepatitis he said it is to rule that out. I have to have an ultrasound done on my abdomen but I cant get this done for about 2 weeks and depending on how this comes back the next step is a biopsy, f*ck I am scared now, I was scared before and it was keeping me straight today has totally thrown me off I thought it would be alright I have been feeling so good lately physically .So there can be no dought now I will be staying sober I have to come clean with my husband about this I have been keeping it to myself and there is no way he will allow another drop to pass my lips mind you I am too scared to drink now anyway.
Becoming I was going to pm you but I didn't want to write this again.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hey Marchers!

Has anyone talked to Bevin lately? Where is she? I hope she is ok. And come think of it, I haven't seen Yoli in awhile either....

Sending good vibes their way /*\/*\*/\*\\/*\/ (are these vibes?)
Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NVGal View Post
Today I was thinking about a benefit I was experiencing: calm, as opposed to conflicted. I love this feeling. I wonder how many quirks we attribute to personality, only to find them to be a side effect of alcohol.
I can attribute 90% of depression and anxiety to alcohol. I too am loving that calm. When something starts to bug my, I say to myself "Let it go" and I actually can. I freak myself out sometimes!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's easy to say, but try not to worry about it too much aussieblue...the best thing you can do is look after your health.

The liver is pretty amazing at regenerating...the more you stay away from alcohol and other toxins now the chances are the better your eventual outcome will be

D