Notices

Class Of December 2010 part 4

Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Sorry MG—my daughter is at her mom's all weekend, so I have nothing to do but procrastinate on chores by leaving long-winded posts!

Hope you're all having fun—let the weekend banana dance begin!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Love the banana dance!! Let's add some

and it's a party!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

I love the long-winded posts. And I think the most fascinating thing about recovery is how much the sickness of alcoholism is tied in with a lack of spiritual connection--an inability to find inner stillness. Booze gets you numb, which is why I like it...too much. It's inspiring to try to find inner stillness, and to try to rely on a higher power.

I am honored to be making this journey with you all. I am starting to see why AA in person must be amazing...if you find a group like this that you could actually invite over for a BBQ it must be great.

I think I've always felt a little lonely, even among my friends.

I am about to get on a plane with my kids to spend spring break with my sisters in San Francisco. Looking forward to it--I'll check in from the west coast!

MJ
Old 03-12-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Good to know you like it MJ—at this rate I should have a novel written by the time you land, lol!

Have a great trip. I love SF!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Dee is in da house!

He's got a post over in the newcomers forum—he took a couple nasty falls last week. Banged up pretty good. But as indomitable in spirit as ever...

In other news, they didn't have The Fighter at Blockbuster, so I rented...

...are you ready for this?

Old 03-12-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am back and doing ok.

It's good to be back...it's gonna take me a while to catch up tho, so for now I hope everyones ok and powering on

D
Old 03-12-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Dee! Welcome, welcome back. We missed you mucho.

All great in San Francisco...my sister had ginger beer waiting and it tastes great. Whew, long flight with kids...how did I ever do that with all the mini bottles of wine?

Mj
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Dee - so glad to see you and know you are doing okay.

Spent 3 1/2 hours doing yard work yesterday. And I only got the front done, didn't even make it to the backyard!

I did not know a person could do yard work without drinking beer, but turns out a person can lol. Drank iced tea, then when finished rewarded myself with an icy cold Grapette soda. Sooo full of sugar but so delicious! Reminds me of my childhood when we'd get Grapette in the little glass bottles from an old soda machine at my dad's office.

I watched the movie 2012 last night, which would have been a very scary movie if it weren't so stupid. Seriously. Cool special effects though.

Avatar huh? I loved Avatar but not as much as Titanic

MJ - have fun in SF. I visited in Oct for the first time and would love to return. Went with a girlfriend and toured vineyards in Sonoma during the "crush". My last big "hurrah" I guess. What is ginger beer? Is it like root beer? I love ginger so might have to check that out.

Love the bouncing egg.

Have a good Sunday everyone!!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Interesting stuff R&A!

I think meditation if extremely therapeutic.......I am not very good at it as my mind fires on 12 cylinders most of the time! I had philosophy course in college that studied different religions and I found the Buddhists to be the most interesting and peaceful people......

Well I am ready to hit the day. Happy Sunday and will see ya later!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bettterlife4me View Post
Hi everyone!
I did not know a person could do yard work without drinking beer, but turns out a person can lol. Drank iced tea, then when finished rewarded myself with an icy cold Grapette soda. Sooo full of sugar but so delicious! Reminds me of my childhood when we'd get Grapette in the little glass bottles from an old soda machine at my dad's office.
I had the same thing with my Sunday shirt ironing...always was a great excuse to put down a bunch of beers.

Dee, glad to hear from you! I'd say this December group is doing well.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Sober Sunday here.....had some nasty thoughts last night.....but went to a speakers meeting instead. Very glad about that.

I enjoyed Avatar...kind of corny really but enjoyable. Wish I'd seen it on the big screen though.

Some good ones I've seen recently are:

Hell Ride - Kind of a spoof of the biker movies of the 60's. It's got every cliche in the book. So bad that it's good...very very good. Obscure movie but it stars Michael Madsen and Dennis Hopper (probably his last movie before he died). Tarantino was involved somehow too...I've watched this 3 times and prob will again. Outstanding

11:14 - Events in a small town among unrelated people all converging in an accident at 11:14....Sort of another 'Crash'.. but I thought it was better....I really liked it. Really makes you think.

Anvil - A documentary following the metal band Anvil around today. These guys were sort of one hit wonders 30 years ago but are still struggling today for their shot at the big time. A great movie with a message...Never give up! An Ode to the human spirit. I found it very uplifting in a strange way.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recommendations, Hooped! I've heard about Anvil and have been meaning to see it.

It is great to be "home" and I love being a guest in my parents home because I get to play daughter for a few days before heading back to reality. I have already seen 6 friends and have only been here since Friday. Just had a delicious and sober meal with a good friend who always makes me laugh. It's crucial - laughter!!

Have a great evening all.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really enjoyed Anvil...and Avatar too but I saw that at the cinema.
I may have to track down Hell Ride, Hooped

D
Old 03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Night everyone, wow i finally got to read all those great posts from the past two days. I do like the talk about meditation and bringing one's self to another level--free from that inner disharmony that requires some quick fix. In a perfect world I could channel all those wants into a positive energy that leaves me a better, healthier, more focused person.

You all are hitting some big topics--like the state of humankind. I often fear for the future but then I will be amazed at what people can come up with, invent and create and that assures me that we will make it. I think we consume way too much, of everything, and that consumption is driven, in part, by that lack of self satisfaction.

I think about this stuff...and then I go and renew my membership to Costco. WTF

Soph it's great that you still see friends when you visit your parents, I somehow got out of touch with all my old friends. I should work on renewing those ties..(I am not active on FaceBook and I realize that is where many people are hanging out these days.)

Everyone have a great night, I am up waaay past my bedtime!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Well, I have to say Avatar is better than I expected. Corny but fun adventure, like you said Hooped. It is soooo long tho—I couldn't stay awake for it all last night, so still have over an hour left to watch tonight. I'll check out the recommendations. Michael Madsen and Dennis Hopper in the same flick—that should take quirky and dark to new levels!

Better, I felt guilty when I read your post. I spent all day yesterday doing this:

So you inspired me to spend all day today doing this:

No need for meditation tonight, VC, I'm too exhausted to fire on more than one cylinder! Luckily, that's all Avatar requires...

Hope you all have good start to the week! Dee, you mending up well?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sore but good. I'm used to falling over LOL...I generally fall 'well' like an acrobat

They come in clusters tho, and I nearly fell hanging out the washing this morning so I'm under house arrest now...

anyone got a sharpened spoon? LOL
D
Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

I spent the day at Alcatraz, speaking of prisons...! What a place...beautiful and menacing and fascinating. Had some tea tonight...perfect for chilly weather. Night, all.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Where do I begin today with all these cool posts.......bottom up I guess.

MJ, I loved Alcatraz. Do they still do the tour where you wear the headphones and are guided by voices of real ex-prisoners? I remember solitary......I shut the door behind me to see what it was like......DARK! I also remember how dank it was there......very cool place.

Dee, I am sending you some help:

R&A, you broke down and watched Avatar!? Yay! I really liked it. Movies like that kind of take me away........get me out of reality for awhile. But you have to be able to view it with a totally open mind......and of course it was really cool in 3D.
I just watched your video on time lines for the last 200 years, very interesting.

I watched the movie "Town" last night.....on a scale from 1-10? 6 maybe? I want to see Inception. Has anyone seen that?

I think we consume way too much, of everything, and that consumption is driven, in part, by that lack of self satisfaction.
I think you have a strong point here, GF.
I think about this stuff...and then I go and renew my membership to Costco. WTF
LOL

Glad you are enjoying FL, Soph......you deserve it!
Hooped, glad you made the weekend!! I am proud of you!
Better, that backyard will be waiting for you and glad you discovered beer-less weed pulling!

BoozeFree, where are you??? Please check in, now matter what is going on.....we miss you.

Hey, today is 3 weeks for me!! WOOT!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Hi VC and everyone else. Well as much as I don't want to admit it I got caught up in drinking all weekend. I really need to get back on track and start over today. I start school again next week and can't let drinking ruin my new career I started a few months ago.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Bf, you're back. Welcome back!