Notices

Class of December 2010 Part 2

Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad everyone is ok - I'm in a flood zone here - no danger for me at all - but I may not be around too much for a day or two

D
Old 01-11-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I love you guys, so happy to check in here at the end of a long day. VC and BF, I am so happy for your wonderful news. Soph, thank you!

So I went to my second AA meeting today. The first one I just felt sad and cried some and ran out. I was so depressed to be an alcoholic. But this time, I tried to remember that all the people there were just like you guys...and like me. So I sat in that room and felt depressed and wanted to leave, but then I thought, "OK. I am supposed to trust that God will bring me what I need. I just have to sit here.". And an older woman walked in just then, with white hair and a really peaceful face. I thought, that is my sponsor.

The meeting went on and I felt teary and scared but I just sat there. I felt like I should talk...control something, DO something...but I just sat there. at the very end, the leader said, Does anyone here need a sponsor? I raised my hand. The white-haired woman turned to me and smiled. And before I knew it, she was holding me hand and she led me into the circle for the serenity prayer.

She and another woman sat down with me and talked for a few minutes. She gave me her number, and I called her this afternoon, and we are meeting for coffee on Saturday.

So, that's all, but I feel very hopeful.

MJ
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hey all. I just wanted to check in. Today was 40 days for me!!!! I hope everyone else is doing well!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

awesome VC!!!

so cool BF!!!

MJ that sounds like it was meant to be
Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

RW 40 is awesome!! my 40 will be Thursday, fingers crossed!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Also, Dee, stay dry! RW, congratulations! Notaloser...nice job! I am on Day 22....
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

MJ, I am crying with your post,,,,,,hugs sweetie pie.....that is so awesome!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Dee, what is up in Austalia?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Congrats everyone on doing so well!! I am on day 18 and feeling great. So great in fact that I have tapered down on my xanax once again. I am kind of afraid of the side effects, but I have been doing it very slowly and I am down from 1.5 mg per day to .125mg per day. ) Almost there. Then I have Klonopin and Paxil to do after that. I hate that I even got into this predicament. I was only on Paxil and wanted to wean off, so the doctor gave me xanax. Of course not telling me that it would be a complete nightmare to get off of it. Once I found out about how very bad xanax is, I decided to wean off of that before paxil. so a different doctor(psychiatrist) recommended going on Klonopin as a crossover while weaning the xanax. What a mess!!!!! One step at a time. At least drinking is out of the mix and I feel SO very good about it.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Hey Dee, I did not realize you are in Australia, wow. Stay safe. I have a team member working in Brisbane, he's got a pump going full power under his house.

Maisy, RW, great to see you in here...congrats on 40 days RW!

MJ, your post is my daily inspiration. Now you have our virtual family and your new sponsors for support.

Hope everyone has a safe and clear headed day.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maryjan View Post
I love you guys, so happy to check in here at the end of a long day. VC and BF, I am so happy for your wonderful news. Soph, thank you!

So I went to my second AA meeting today. The first one I just felt sad and cried some and ran out. I was so depressed to be an alcoholic. But this time, I tried to remember that all the people there were just like you guys...and like me. So I sat in that room and felt depressed and wanted to leave, but then I thought, "OK. I am supposed to trust that God will bring me what I need. I just have to sit here.". And an older woman walked in just then, with white hair and a really peaceful face. I thought, that is my sponsor.

The meeting went on and I felt teary and scared but I just sat there. I felt like I should talk...control something, DO something...but I just sat there. at the very end, the leader said, Does anyone here need a sponsor? I raised my hand. The white-haired woman turned to me and smiled. And before I knew it, she was holding me hand and she led me into the circle for the serenity prayer.

She and another woman sat down with me and talked for a few minutes. She gave me her number, and I called her this afternoon, and we are meeting for coffee on Saturday.

So, that's all, but I feel very hopeful.

MJ

Thats so great to hear MJ! I hope everything works out great with that new sponsor..
Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soph View Post
VC!! Congrats on the mammo! Very Clear!! Love it! And your avatar rocks! (Vibey Cat?!)

VC, Boozefree, MaryJan, NotaL, Grandfather, GfmCO, Betterlife, Dee and Sleepie if you're there...all of you are keeping me going, honestly, and I don't want to let me or you or HP down, I really love the Decembers and even when I don't post I am still checking in on you guys and am really proud of you.

Just came home from bootcamp, he kicked our butts, I am now eating hummus and carrots and drinking OJ mixed with seltzer water and I feel energized and hopeful. Hope ya'll do too!

Thanks Soph! I love being part of this december group! reading daily on SR and posting is def what is really helping me stay sober this time around. keep hangin in there!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hello awesome December class! Day # 41 here! I can't believe it.

MJ - it does sound like it was meant to be with your sponser! Thanks for sharing your experience. My therapist is encouraging me to attend an AA meeting, and I will.....just feel a little scared, just as you did, just as most probably do. But you are right in that the people there are just like us here - the Decemberites.

Nothing to be afraid of in attending a meeting. Not attending could get scary indeed!

I am feeling much better than I did last week. The PAWS was in full force last week, but (crossing fingers) much better this week.

Everyone stay strong! We have a lot of momentum going here ~ LOVE IT!

Dee - you stay 'high and dry'. Don't know where you're located, but I saw pics on the news this morning from Brisbane. Very scary indeed.

Hope everyone has a peaceful, sober day
Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maisy View Post
Congrats everyone on doing so well!! I am on day 18 and feeling great. So great in fact that I have tapered down on my xanax once again. I am kind of afraid of the side effects, but I have been doing it very slowly and I am down from 1.5 mg per day to .125mg per day. ) Almost there. Then I have Klonopin and Paxil to do after that. I hate that I even got into this predicament. I was only on Paxil and wanted to wean off, so the doctor gave me xanax. Of course not telling me that it would be a complete nightmare to get off of it. Once I found out about how very bad xanax is, I decided to wean off of that before paxil. so a different doctor(psychiatrist) recommended going on Klonopin as a crossover while weaning the xanax. What a mess!!!!! One step at a time. At least drinking is out of the mix and I feel SO very good about it.
Oh, I hear your pain!! down from 30 to 10 on my Celexa, what a nightmare indeed!! I needed it 2 years ago, but now I just want it gone!! I am feeling quite irritable/sensitive today, for example my 7 yo is chewing frootloops TOO loudly!! *sigh*
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Dee, I have been watching the news and am horrified, I hope you are OK and your peeps are OK.

Maryjan I am so thrilled for you. What a blessing really! I need another sponsor. My old one from last year when I first attempted to get sober, was pretty new herself (2 years) and really busy with her kids and husband. I always needed much more but was too scared to tell her the truth.

This time I need to find a sponsor who will kick my butt and be there for me!

Thanks for all the support. Am really proud of you guys and am happy I awoke sober and free today.

Maisy, congrats on tapering down the meds! Boozefree, Nota, VC, Girl, Betterlife, Grandfather(..."and the rest!" remember Gilligan's Island) Thanks for being here.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

sup ya'll?!

day 24 for me, this sunday will be exactly a month.

I've been really depressed about life in general lately. I'm trying to get my life back on track, but my past is haunting me right now. I'm looking at going back to school to take Mining Engineering, and the only thing holding me back is that I have a criminal record. I know I could complete the bachelors program, as long as I stay sober. But I am so down and out thinking about it because now that I am trying to make positive changes in my life, it's like society won't let me. I searched for job postings for mining engineers, and I'd say most of them said "criminal record check" . I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should risk going to school for 4 or 5 years, only to get out and not be able to find a job due to having a criminal record.

I truly hate the society we have collectively built. There are so many people out there who have gone down the wrong road in life, like myself. But it just seems that when you try to make a positive change, societies standards will just keep pushing you down.

I need some advice. I'm so depressed right now its unreal. I know a lot of people here have criminal records due to DUI's and what not. Am I destined to work a dead end job for the rest of my life?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I am feeling quite irritable/sensitive today, for example my 7 yo is chewing frootloops TOO loudly!! *sigh*
Just add more milk Nota! LOL.

Ok, so I pulled my head out of my a$$ and Googled about the flooding.....how horrific! All the news channels were saying "biblical proportions." Makes you ponder the beginning of the end type of thoughts?!

Glad you are feeling better, Better. I like to say that.

Good morning to all "the rest!"

Please check in when you can Dee!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Northland I am sorry you are going thru a rough time. I do know that drinking will not make anything better. I don't have much better advice than that, which they say in AA which is "keep doing the next right thing" and sometimes that seems like an easy thing and other times it seems impossible.

For me, the next "right thing" was just to write you and tell you that I read your post and am thinking of you and hope you continue your sobriety.

Having 24 days under your belt is absolutely fantastic!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

North - sorry you are feeling down. I have not had a DUI or other arrest, so can't speak to that.

I can't believe that anyone who has ever had a DUI is destined to work a dead-end job all his or her life. The US Congress comes to mind.....

If you do pursue school, nobody can take your education away from you.

If you don't pursue school, you most certainly won't be working as a mining engineer in 4-5 years.

Hang in there.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Reggie and NAL—40 days!!! Way to go, guys. I'm still chugging along toward the end of my first full month. Feels so good -- maybe too good? My biggest fear now is overconfidence. But I know I can never have another drink, no matter how much time passes. As long as I don't forget that.....

I tried so many times before, but this time just feels different. I think you guys and the rest of the SR family are a big part of that!