Notices

Class of April 2010 - Part 4

Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I thought it had something to do with that. Very cool that the piano is upright like that, and with the shovel like you wrote...like sayin - We will make it through this.

Awesome Avatar.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Hey Dee

I feel you mate. This morning I sit here and watch the many, many volunteers that are lining up over a kilometer to help the flood victims clean up the post flood muck. I can only imagine what these people are going through. Donating money has helped me feel a little more useful but still, sitting here preparing things for my students for the start of school year tears at my heart when i hear there are over 60 schools in Queensland that are under water.

Has been a very emotional week for me. I have always been affected by tragedies like this. Usually I would have coped by getting smashed to the eyeballs. The Queensland floods have not been a test to my sobriety, I feel I am well over "tests" but was certainly a good reminder that feeling sad does hurt but it's ok. They are feelings, we are human and numbing them does not make the tragedies go away.

So, I will keep my tissues handy and feel grateful for everything I have, and pray for my fellow Australians who are doing it tough at the moment.

Glad we are all here, and remain strong Aprillers.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's been tough for me too - but I agree, not a test, Oz

The only time I thought of drinking was to think I would have had to be drunk to sit through all this and 'deal with it' (ha) had it happened 4 years ago.

D
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi guys. MGS, I wish you the best with the surgery, and I'm glad your husband can be with you.

Oz, Dee, I'm so sorry you are going through this flooding. I spent some time looking at photos and reading about it tonight, learning about the scope and all. Truly incredible & terrible. I'm thinking of you during this time.

I've had a really busy week. Things have been trying and I haven't been my best self. I don't want to drink, because I know it won't solve my problems, but there's a lot of problems to work on right now, and during this past month my mood overall has been really low and just in a funk. I have been sad and emotional, and I've had spells of out-of-line "why me!" and "everything's against me" thinking. UGH. It's really frustrating and I know I need to work on this . . my plan is to journal more and try to see what I can do socially (and otherwise, volunteering possibly) in the coming months to meet new people, since I've been feeling an absence lately. I also need to keep exercise up (I'm bad about blaming the weather) and get my work on a tighter schedule (most of it is self-directed, and I feel really terrible when I procrastinate or feel like I am not accomplishing a reasonable amount). Anyway, I wanted to post about this because I feel like I need to keep myself honest about my emotions . . . mostly I'm just blathering, so thank you for listening. This connection means a lot to me.

When I look at pictures of myself that have been taken since I got sober, I'm SMILING in each and every one -- teeth and all, genuine smiles, not fake ones. This alone is the incontrovertible evidence that I'm in a much better place these past (almost) nine months. I still need to work on building my new life, though, and sometimes I am frustrated, feeling afraid that the progress I've made sober, though indisputable, is really slowing down or getting harder to achieve. I can almost lol at this, because I also know that it's more realistic to see my state of being in recovery as something that is going to ebb and flow. . . . phew.

Hope everyone enjoys the end of the weekend.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry your weeks been trying AG - I agree the worst thing to do is isolate.
Let your pals take some weight too

D
Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 months AG.

Hope your mood matches your smiling photos soon

Old 01-17-2011, 01:09 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t know how I forgot to mention the 9 months AG - it's been a long week. My apologies - and congratulations

D
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Thanks guys! Nine months will be tomorrow! I may have rounded somewhere

I'm feeling better since I posted -- sometimes posting to get it out helps.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr day to everyone here in the US and everywhere else. Truly one of my heroes.

AG
Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a great U2 fan but I love this song. Happy MLK Day everyone

D
Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on 9 months AG! Suuuuwwwweeeeettttt!

Thanks for the Post Dee. I woulda guessed you a U2 fan?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

I liked them up through Rattle and Hum, but they lost me with their reinvention after that.
I'm old LOL.

D
Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Thanks for sharing that U2 song, Dee! Never heard it.

And thanks for the 9 month wishes, all! Today's the day! I had a few bad dreams last night (one about being alone on my birthday because I wasn't drinking which was sad and scary) but I'm feeling really good this morning. Although the fears represented in the dream match some of my waking fears about needing to make more sober friends, I do think the dream was also silly, because although my social life has definitely changed now, I really did 70% of my drinking pretty much alone. Last night I watched a movie that I THINK I had tried to watch once while drunk, but passed out in the middle of. It was SO MUCH better watching it sober, needless to say.

But yeah, I'm feeling good this morning. Blue skies, nice breakfast, energized for the day ahead. Have a good one, everyone!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 9 months AG !!

Sounds like a beautiful morning to get this special day started.

Wow, it's been months and months since I had my last "using " dream, but had one several days ago. The most powerful part (I remembered of the dream) was the deep sense of regret , remorse, and finally confusion; .......once I began to wake.

Dee, speaking of music, ....I'm definitely going to sign up for the XM/ Sirius satelitte because of the unbelievable newer (and older) stuff I've been hearing. Had a "trial subscription" that expires soon. Just listening to "the loft " and "the coffeehouse" so far. There least expensive plan lets ya pick 50 channels. OMG, .....who could possibly listen to more than that, or even half that many !?! (I'm not interested in the talk, sports, etc. some folks might be though )
Subscription is supposed to give me a live feed online, and some device to hook up at home ( I'm not driving enough to warrant a subscription to auto only)
.....if y'all ever listen to satallite radio, pleassse give me channel suggestions ! ??

Not a whole lot going on, ....some days a little down. Suspect it's the lack of sun along with trying to get enough rest most days . Rested tonight though. decided to go with the really , really late schedule and work out for , therapy, through the night. Sleep more during the day. They (medical therapist)say, my knee is going to be even MORE, difficult to bend after 3 months, .......so that fear has gotten me more motivated, and to treat this more aggressively .

Glad to get the green light on that, .....since I generally have a tendency to "overdue" things.

.......don't know why I believe you guys can "relate" to THAT !?! LOL

The Australian Open is my favorite sport to watch on TV. It's making working out on my (now) stationary bike a hell of a lot more fun ! MP3 crankin', commentary muted,
......do really like the commentary after I'm off the bike though.

gonna do "whatever it takes" to get back out on the courts ; .....if not this year, next !!!

Thank everyone of you; ..... keeping this thread alive (and well )

Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never listened to satellite radio Mark - I might check it out tho.
I'm glad to hear you're not going mad with the recovery - both kinds LOL

D
Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Good for you TS. I hope that knee of yours responds sooner rather than later. Tennis is a great sport and I envy anyone that has that amount of coordination to play it. I on the other hand am such a clutz
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Top....you rock dude. Yeah, good luck with keepin the knee flexible. Pretty sure when they say the knee will stiffen after three months...they didn't know how active you are. You probably change the gauge they use to see where people will be at.

So...A person I work with keeps sayin (don't know why) that Australia has more dangerous (deadly) animals per capital than anywhere else. Is this true at all? Seriously...not playin...they have said it several times around me recently. I don't know if it's true at all.

Hope y'all are well!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno if it's per capita but we do have more than our fair share LOL

These little beauties are currently washing up in their dozens on beaches near me...

Stonefish

Good site that - lots of interesting fun facts
Australian Animal Fact:

The cute cuddly male platypus has venom strong enough to kill a dog!

never knew that

D
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

put it this way Ghost... out of the top 25 venomous snakes in the world, Australia has 20 of them...
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Top, glad to hear you're making progress with your knee therapy. I don't have XM but I've always been curious about Tom Petty's show, "Buried Treasure." XM 40.

Dee, those are lovely. Ghost, I've heard something similar . . . Oz, be careful with those snakes lurking! Now you guys have me panicking about Coral Snakes again. I've seen two (one dead, one alive) in my yard. The Antivenom is no longer being made because the bites are so rare. Tell that to the woman who has them in her yard . . . Yikes.

Hope everyone's doing well. Kim, the day is getting close, no? I'm so excited for you; I hope you feel okay lately!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Ghostly,
I've heard that same kind of thing about Australia. We always hear about the giant Great Whites over there (around here) The Sound here is supposedly the major shark breeding ground on the East Coast ; but the only incidents happening (every 2 or three years ) around here are just shark "bites"........not really any "attacks"

....... We did have a golfer lose his arm last year to a gator though !?!

The strangest accident we've had lately was a damn small plane mowing down a runner on the beach while making an emergency landing last summer. Poor guy never heard him coming because of his mp3 !?!

Stranger than fiction, for sure !?!

Well, following the late-night coverage of the Open (Down Under) ......Australia looks like about the coolest place in the world to live, ....or at the very least, visit.

AG,
I've only listened to a couple of stations so far, but was really enjoying a Fri. night show on "the loft" XM 50 hosted by Bernie Taupin. I'll have to find out more about the programming schedule. TP hosting a radio show would be pretty sweet. "the loft" station
invites artist into their own recording studio.
So suprised to hear the range of stuff they play, but it all works. Makes me realize just how much I DON'T KNOW about music , really !

Don't fret too much about those corals ! I've only read this stuff, but they're mostly a BIG danger to small children who decide to play with'm. (since their venom is by far more toxic than the mocassin, copperhead, or varieties of rattlesnakes) They're sometimes confused with a small rainbow king. We always called them "rainbows", but they're known as Scarlet Kingsnakes.
Both have bright red, black, and yellow bands, .....just in a different combination !?
........well, THAT'S comforting !?!

Some species of kingsnake, such as the Scarlet Kingsnake, have coloration and patterning which can cause them to be confused with the venomous coral snakes. There are mnemonic rhymes to help people distinguish between the coral snake and its non-venomous look-alikes, including "Red and yellow kills a fellow. Red and black is safe for Jack."

LOL, like folks are gonna remember a little jingle, huh ? I just remember the "stop light" reference .....yellow,then red STOP ! ....and RUN !!! lo

This'll ease your mind ; .....maybe ?

Coral snakes are extremely reclusive and generally bite humans only when handled or stepped on. They must literally chew on their victim to inject their venom fully, so most bites to humans don't result in death. In fact, no deaths from coral snake bites have been reported in the U.S. since an antivenin was released in 1967.

"chewed on !!??!! NO WONDER !

OK ..just ramblin on now ?

.....Kim,still have you in my thoughts

Y'all take care,