Notices

June Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 09-04-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hey Dee, I am not exactly where you are but I said prayers for NZ as soon as I found out. I hope If you have any friends or family there they are ok. I also hope you don't live there!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hey all, Hope your enjoying your weekend. Day 12! I am feeling so much stronger as a human being I can't describe it. It's so much better this time around.
I think I have been living the past few years or longer in fear. Alcohol just made it worse.
I am now in the mindset of bring it on! I am so ready for the rest of my life!
I am so Grateful to everyone here, myself and a special thanks to Dee.
I feel so powerful.

Life is getting better everyday!

Almost forgot I have also lost 9 pounds in 11 days!!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Beth, that is such awesome news. I'm sooooo happy for you!

Of course, when I stop drinking I actually gain weight and not lose it. Not a reason to keep drinking though - Must be all muscle

I am doing well and continuing on my journey toward inner peace and freedom from alcohol. It's working, but in a craggy path sort of way, not a straight line. I accept that.

My latest discovery has been really eye opening. I have decided that for all of the analysis I have done, for all of the reasons why I think I should stop drinking, for everything I have tried to understand, it's actually a lot more simple than I have made it. It's me and alcohol, that is it. Nothing else really matters. Not a higher power, not support groups, not outside factors, not some sort of magical revelation, .... it comes down to the fact that alcohol is toxic to me and I can't drink it.

The fact is that I don't have a reliable "off" switch. I used to -- for many, many years. I used to be able to stop at 2 drinks consistently. Why all of a sudden in my 40's I can't, I don't know. But it's really not important WHY it happened, just important to recognize that it did happen and that it is the way it is. Complete acceptance.

So without a reliable off switch, I invariably drink more than I want to. When I drink more than I want to, I do things that are "not me" and that I'm embarrassed about the next day. And even more than that, it affects me physically. It ruins my sleep, but not only that, the last few times I drank I have woken up SEVERAL TIMES during the night in a severe all out panic. I can't explain to you horrible it feels. It's so scary, but this is a good thing. The fact that it's so scary makes me never want to drink again.

I think Dee said the the worst thing that can happen to alcoholic is nothing? Well, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because the panic attacks are so bad that I realize there is something severely wrong with the way my body reacts to alcohol. The panic completely goes away the next night (as long as I do not drink), so it's 100% due to alcohol and nothing else. I sleep like a baby every night I don't drink.

So I may never have been an alcoholic that progressed to the point of drinking during the day (the idea of it NEVER appealed to me) but I'm the type of alcoholic that progressed to the point of consistently drinking more than I wanted to/planned to, and having alcohol affect me in a severe negative way.

I'm done with it. I'm scared of it. I'm actually on Day 3 so feeling quite good today.

My friend who was helping is still there for me, but I decided it really has nothing to do with him. He's just someone I can talk to, but this is all about what is right for me. He still drinks and I'm fine with that. I have no interest in joining him. He told me he was drinking vodka tonight and I almost gagged.

That is my story.... and I'm sticking to it.

Very optimistic and upbeat right now. The counting/recounting does not demoralize me anymore because I had stuff I needed to work out. I'm only going to semi keep track of sober days because I want to focus on making the right decisions each day of my life and not racking up the sober time, if that makes sense. I'm a good place and hope you all are, too!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:34 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

You know TJ, that's exactly how I came to terms with alcohol. The way I think of it now is I am allergic to alcohol, if I drink I may die. Just as somebody who is allergic to peanuts.

It's like when your pregnant and you don't drink because you know you can't, it's not an option and you don't drink!
The same concept applies.

I also use to get severe panic attacks when waking up after drinking. You are right TJ, it's the worse feeling in the world.

Day 3 is very cool. I do have to say though what also helped me more this time around was I made a decision to post here everyday even when there was nobody really here to talk to. Well at least Dee was here. Finally people started showing up and it mattered but regardless i would have been the only person on here and I would of kept posting.
Another thing I found that I realize now that is so Very important is keeping track of the days. I tried not doing it and I think it was like I was giving myself permission to mess up without the added stress of going back to day 1, and I went a little off the rails.
Of course I am just speaking for myself here.

So good for you on your restart, hopefully this will be your last! Again it's just like you said you can over analyze the hell out of the why who where and what of being an alcoholic, it's almost like trying to have a sense of control over the situation, when there is none. We are alcoholics, we have medical condition that could cause physical and mental harm to our bodies if we ingest any form of alcohol.

It is that simple!

Glad to hear from you, sorry this is so long.

Rock day 4 like a Supa Star! lol
Old 09-05-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
HFA

Alexvt-- congrats on your climb back up the count. I too found it very important to count the days and to just post here regardless of who read it. But when those constant people like dee and carol read it, it helped so much. I like the idea of thinking of being allergic to alcohol.

My X is having her big annual labor day party.AKA, drinkfest. This will be my second year not attending after the divorce. Last year I got wasted. Dont remember how or where, but I am sure I did. So this will be my first labor day weekend sober in probably 15yrs. Going to work on my 70 car to distract me.

Hope we all stay sober today

Day 70
Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, Beth. I liked it and it was not too long.

You are right about the simplicity of it. I have made this very complicated and looked at every angle and tried just about every option. In the end, the panic attacks are too scary for me. It's pretty simple -- I can't drink. It's funny how we put up with so much in order to drink -- even hangovers, feeling crappy, etc. That should be enough but once they wear off, we tell ourselves we are okay and and can drink safely again. I have convinced myself that something very important is now missing (the off switch) and if I have one drink, I really cannot be sure how many it's going to turn into. It took a lot of research for me to figure that out, but it's true.

I have to say that seeing you posting here everyday actually brought me back to posting, so thank you for that. It just shows that our actions do have effects on others!

About the counting, yes I probably will count, too. I just didn't want to start thinking that was the ONLY important thing in this journey. It's not my goal to rack up and announce sober time -- it's my goal to start living my life authentically and the way I need to. As a side note, I will keep track and share it with you guys.

Today is the only day we have -- let's seize the day!!!

I promise to check in more Beth. We can keep this thread going and help each other out.

xo Laura
Old 09-05-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good Morning. It's Sunday and I am feeling lazy.

It's the start of Day 65 for me. I had so many Day Ones for several years that I stopped counting Day Ones. I did keep track of how many days in a week, month, year that I drank but I know that this time I am successful so far because I do not want to go back to Day One. I want to move on not start over every few days.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi HFA!! It's great to be sober this holiday weekend, isn't it?

I am staying away from the barbeques and stuff. I have a lot of work to do (I have a volunteer job for the PTA) and I hope to go for a run/bike ride today as well.

Good day everyone!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hey Lyddie!!! Way to go with day 65!!!

It's nice the thread is still going. And I like that people check in here on the weekends. In the old group I was in (August 2009) it was very quiet on the weekends and most of the posting was during the week. I'm the opposite -- I am able to post more on the weekends and not as much during the week due to my life being so busy. I like the weekend support

Talk to you all later!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Oops I actually think I jumped the gun a bit. Yesterday was Day 2 not Day 3. So that makes today Day 3 not Day 4. That just shows I wasn't really focusing on the counting bit. It's all good as long it's sober time.

Also, I was thinking how good it was that I told this friend of mine about my alcohol problem. The next time he asks me out to dinner or whatever I don't have to be evasive or make up some excuse about the drinking. I can just say, "I'm not drinking" and he'll understand. Very nice.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hey Ya'll, Glad to hear from you this morning. I wanted to add a side note to my post last night.
Don't you find it crazy when we who are obviously allergic to alcohol get on planes and ask for a drink right off. I know I did.
Well isn't it funny, you never see someone who is allergic to peanuts get on the plane and ask for a bag a nuts, then proceed to eat 5 more bags.
Just thought it was a good analogy.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

So anyway day 13!!

Glad to hear from you HFA. You don't need no stikin party! lol I think its great you are protecting you sobriety so well.
TJ- Whoo Hoo day 3! Soon to be day 30
Lyddie- 65 days, holy cow thats really great, Congrats. I say if you feel lazy go with it and have a me day. Also congrats on your first sober Labor Day!
Jasper- What up? Have a good day!
Dee- Hope you are well
Old 09-05-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

hi all. .. haven't posted on this thread for a while. My sobriety date is 6/5, and I am 93 days sober now. Thankfully, i have not had any relapses. Urges to drink have passed, and I now don't think about drinking to relieve stress or anything else in my life.

Hope you all have a safe weekend.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Thanks Aehmnm! Congrats on 93 days!! Thats really cool! You are inspiring!
Glad to hear from you.
Have an amazing day!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hey Beth and Aehmnm (sorry I had to look for the spelling on that one )

I am doing great and just checking in. Felt like venting a bit so here goes.

I'm a bit of a loser since I led this guy to believe I was interested in more than friendship with him. Turns out I am only interested in friendship. I don't know why. Lately I haven't been attracted to anyone (in a romantic sense). At some point I am going to have to spill that to him...

He keeps calling me on my cell phone. I HATE talking on the phone. It's like people bothering me when I'm busy. I wish he would just text and I could respond when I'm ready. I think you're either a person who likes talking on the phone or who doesn't. I hate it. I know that sounds nutty, but I just had to get it out there.

Good analogy Beth. Yep, get on airplane, sit down, order glass of wine to calm nerves. Of course I have not been flying for a while and the last few times I was with my kids and it was morning, so no wine on the planes for me in a while. But I remember that instinct.

We need to help each other deal with these situations that trigger the thought of drinking. We do indeed have an allergy, or whatever you wish to call it. I like to think of my body as being intolerant of alcohol since I have so many bad reactions to it.

Later all!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Okay one more analogy while I'm at it. I'm not a big pot smoker, but the last time I did it was a HORRIBLE experience. I got paranoid and scared like never before and I just wanted to the experience to be over. It traumatized me so much that I have no desire to ever smoke pot again.

I have always felt alcohol was a "safe friend" and that I would at least know how it's going to affect me, unlike pot. Well the past few times have changed my mind about that. I experienced terror and panic like never before. I am now scared of alcohol in the same way as pot. I need to lump them both in the same category of "toxic."
Old 09-05-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Ha TJ your not a loser, and I HATE talking on the phone also. I save the phone for my mother and grandmother basically family. I think I would feel the same way about being bothered! The way I would deal with it, is to tell him your phone is always on silence so if I miss your call no offense.
Also I was wondering if I may if you were drinking during this 'getting reaquainted' time?
I can't tell you how many friendship got started for me while drinking only to fall to the wayside when I sobered up.
About the pot smoking I am the exact same way! Major anxiety with it after laughing alot. Very scary stuff, never touch it. Hey you know whats worse cocaine! I use to do it all the time when I was a bartender The only way I could do it was if i had a good buzz first or else I would freak. The come down off of that stuff is insane panic!! I stopped that on my own though after 15 years. I never woke up and needed it.. I really think I used it so I could maintain control while drinking like a fish. YUCK!!

I use to fly all the time to visit my now x fiance from Atl to LA. I was always drunk when I got off the plane! Didn't matter what time a day. I always figured it was 5 pm somewhere! I had no shame!

I even drank when I flew back to Atl with daughter there and back twice. I always had a ride waiting for me so I figured why not. I wonder what the people around me thought! Oh well all in the past now.

Never want to be that sick person I have no respect for again!

Anyway, I am always online and home checking in here and I will always answer you or anyone. I just watch my child most days and we play at home.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Cool, thanks Beth!

To answer your question, yep ... I was drinking the couple of times there was *any* romantic connection between us. The last time we went out I was stone cold sober. He tried to hold my hand during the movie and I was irritated. I realized I didn't want anything but friendship with him. Isn't it amazing how alcohol distorts everything?

One time I was on a train from NYC with my daughter. It was a 4 hour ride, so I figured why not enjoy a few wines on the way? I know the feeling of wanting to drink when traveling. Besides, I have always been a nervous flyer so really considered a glass of wine or two the perfect antidote to flying anxiety. Going to have to work on that the next time I fly.

In the meantime, we're all having a nice sober day today. Will sleep well tonight.

Re: cocaine -- tried it a bit back in the day, but it didn't do much for me. Good thing -- some people really get addicted. My major problem has been, of course, alcohol, which is totally legal and all too accessible. Amazing that something so legal can be so dangerous. I guess that goes for guns, too!
Old 09-05-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hey TJ, Back in the day! Ha I love it! Seems to refer to everything in my life now! I am always sayin back in the day I was or I did... Too funny to hear someone else use it. Guess that shows our age huh?
So yea, alcohol use to get me in trouble all the time when i would meet new people or old friends. I'd be like call me bff. And then I wouldn't answer their calls the next day.
I would just be too hungover and already had friends I wasn't keeping up with. Lord know I didn't need anymore. But of course I would eventually run into them and feel like a piece of crap. Alcohol was the only friend I could stay loyal to at the time.

You could always just say your going to take some time off from relationships for a while, to figure yourself out.
Plus he drinks and you don't need to be around that, and on top of that his divorce isn't even finalized.
So personally I think it's a good thing to back off. But I feel you on the ackward, uncomfortable factor.

I am glad you made through the day, didn't question you wouldn't for a sec. You were there for me and I am here for you, and we can get through this together!

Have a good night, I'll be checking in on here cause Its a habit now. So if you need to talk..
Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

I'm really good tonight, thanks Beth. I love my diet cokes now. I know they are not going to cause me hangovers in the morning, or give me panic attacks in the middle of the night, or cause me to reach out to old boyfriends with embarrassing emails. The panic attacks may have been the best thing to happen to me as it has changed my whole outlook on drinking wine.

Thanks for the advice on the guy. You are so right. It is way too soon to jump into anything with him, both for his sake and mine. And if the 'spark' is not there, I'll just tell him I think we should be just friends. It is really awkward because I did kiss him when I was drunk (he's a terrible kisser.... gag me! Nice guy, bad kisser!)

Anyway, thanks for being there friend and I'm not going anywhere either. I'm damn sure not going to let alcohol get the better of me... I did for a while, but now it's time for me to be winning this battle.

Happy times tonight --- Trader Joe's vegetable fried rice, diet coke, and some TV (Project Runway - love it!)

G'night!