June Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you and DD had a great day Beth

D
Old 08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Beth - How was the birthday party? Did the birthday girl appreciate all your efforts?

Hey Jasper - glad you are enjoying some time away from work.

My day was quiet. My workload is very easy this week so I am being a bit lazy at work. It's Day 60 for me. I am slowly getting there.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:38 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hey Thanks guys! We had a Wonderful Day! Crazy Looong and by the time we got to the blowing out of candles we were all exhausted.
I am so Blessed, I just can't describe it.
I am so thankful that I was sober and not hungover, but really clear headed. I was completely present for my Babies first birthday! THAT ROCKS!!!

It was pretty stressful today, not in a bad way but just trying to get everything done perfect for her.
When it was over i was like I wish I could have a glass of wine but I was like but I can't because I can't just have one. End of story no regrets. Very calm about the whole thought.

Thanks for the birthday wishes ya'll.
Glad you guys are doing so good, you are truley an inspiration to me.

Thanks for the company!

Day 8 Mission accomplished!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Beth - You should find that you will be become even more clear headed in the next week. And now you have a good memory of your baby's first birthday. I am hoping that next year on your baby's second birthday, you will be saying to yourself - Wow - I have been sober for over a year now. What a wonderful gift that will be for you and your daughter. Congratulations on Day 8.

I finally was sober for a whole calendar month. My sober day is July 2 so July didn't count. I have had this notion that it would be a would be something special or even magical to say - I didn't drink for the whole month, not just 30 days but the whole calendar month. Don't know why. For me setting all these little goals helps me keep going. This weekend will be the first complete 3 day weekend without alcohol since probably the last century.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Lyddie, that would be so AWESOME! I am gonna do everything in my power to stay sober.
Oh yea and today I had to go to drug store and I was looking for tea and I had to pass 2 full isles of wine and liquor. I didn't even give it a second thought. Normally I would be talking to myself, fighting with myself to not grab a bottle.
I honestly, know that I am basically allergic to alcohol and if I drink it I may end up dead.
It just the way I have to think about..It works so far.

CONGRATS on a month Lyddie! Thats a great milestone!
Jasper- A big Congrats on Day 78 or 11 weeks and 1 day!
HFA- How are you doing?
Dee- Hey!!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Oh and also I have lost 6 pounds in 8 days!!! Now that is an accomplishment! lol
Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your month lyddie

D
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Thank you Beth. Thank you to you all for making me feel so welcome! Yes now firmly into my 12th week and not far off my 90 days which feels good although I know I shouldn't project too far into the future. Again not much on today. The weather is perfect here in the tropical far north, I'm sober so will just enjoy the moment. I hope you all have a great day/evening where ever you are.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hi guys!!!

Beth, I'm so happy you've stopped drinking and found a way to keep stopped. You seem so much happier now!! And way to go Lyddie, HFA and Jasper!!

I'm doing okay, but SOMETHING VERY LUCKY HAPPENED TO ME.

I'll try to explain but keep it short. About a month ago I went out with a friend from high school. We played tennis and went out for a few drinks afterward and had a good time together. Of course I regretted drinking so much the next day, but whatever.

The very next day he started texting me and keeping in touch. I kept in touch back and to make a long story short, we started keeping in touch every single day. He is married but going through a divorce. As you guys know, I am divorced. We just kind of hit it off but in more of a friendship kind of way, not a romantic way.

So I just went with it and kept keeping in touch. We went out again, but I'll skip to the latest part of the story. The other day I decided to open up to him about my drinking issues/problems. I told him the WHOLE STORY and I felt so great being able to tell someone about this. I definitely trust him enough to tell him all of this. For the most part, I have been dealing with my alcohol problems in secret and all by myself for the past couple of years.

He listened to me and was incredibly helpful, supportive and non-judgmental. I can't tell you how good it made me feel. He's a smart guy and had some great ideas to help me.

So since then he has continued texting and keeping in touch with me, saying nice things like: "You're a great loving mom, you're pretty, you have a sense of humor, you're in great shape, you're passionate about things... you have so many good things... don't let a failed relationship define you or derail you." And he checks in with me everyday to make sure I'm not drinking wine.

I don't know why but it truly helps to have what I would consider a "coach" right now. He is helping me to start caring about myself, if that makes sense. I am dealing with life day to day and consider myself lucky to have found a friend who cares about me enough to help me on a daily basis. I am starting to realize how lonely I was after my divorce and breakup with guy I loved after that. Maybe if there is a God, he/she sent this friend my way to help me.

Sorry if that was too long, but I just wanted to let you know where I am at!

Keep rocking on, everyone!!!

Laura
Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

That's Great TJ!
I was wondering where the heck you were. Sounds like a great "boyfriend" you have. I am so happy for you. Loneliness is so dangerous isn't it?
I am doing a lot better this time around, trying to be sober, than the last time.
I wonder why that is?
Thank you for all of your help. I swear your posts helped so much!!

Lyddie- Whats up girlie? Hope your having a great day!!!
Jasper- How are you doing today?
HFA-
Dee-Hey there!

I am doing wonderfully! Day 10!!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Hey Laura - It's good to hear from you. Your new old friend sounds great. You deserve to have someone in your life who is so supportive.

Beth - Congratulations on Day 10.

I am just waiting patiently for tomorrow evening when the Labor Day weekend starts.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  
HFA

Thanks everyone for asking, I am doing fine. I have no time to do squat. So far behind on everything. Seeing my Kids, seeing my SO, cleaning, working on my '70 car, and work. Thought there was supposed to be all this time when you stopped?

Lydia- congrats on the calendar moth. Thats awsome

Alexvt - great job on the weight loss. I have gained since I stopped. Guess I just supplemented the calories some how.

TJ- Glad you shared it with someone. Was a turning point for me.

Day 67
Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great sober long weekend guys

D
Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Lyddie, you'll be fine this weekend! I have the utmost faith in you! I'll be home and on here if you need someone to talk to!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Hi.

Hi Beth, I'm fine thanks, another sober productive day which of course I'm very happy about. (Day 80)

There is one thing at the moment that is on my mind but no biggy. I share an apartment with a friend who does the same job as me. While I am away for four weeks and then back for four weeks he is based here all the time and comes and goes. He may be here a week and then goes for three days, back for two days then gone for four days. It has worked out that we have been in the house together for the last week which is very rare. This is normally fine as we are good friends. The thing is that now I am not drinking I can't go on the drinking sessions with him anymore and he resents this (he hasn't said so but he does). It's as though he relies on me for his entertainment, holiday partner etc and now that partner has disappeared. He thinks that I am boring now basically. One thing it has shown me is that we have very little to talk about if we are not drinking together.

Anyway he doesn't know the full extent of my problem as I am just a member of a bigger group of alcoholics and don't stand out hugely. He also doesn't realise that while I am on my breaks, going to the gym, going for walks, on the internet, reading the papers by the pool or whatever I am actually the happiest and most content I have been in the last ten years (two years sobriety in 1999-2000). I could be standing in the corner looking at the wall at this point and I would feel that way as long as I wasn't drinking. I guess the problem is that he doesn't know the full story (I'm not ready to tell either) so is just grumpy with me as he feels I am turning my back on him.

As I said not a big one but it's nice to talk about it. Thanks for reading and hope you all have a peaceful day/evening.

Jasper.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you have the right attitude Jasper - you're doing what you know you need to for you

I hate mates like that - they either 'got it' eventually, or they kinda drifted away & found a new drinking companion....

D
Old 09-03-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you have the right attitude Jasper - you're doing what you know you need to for you

I had mates like that - they either 'got it' eventually, or they kinda drifted away & found a new drinking companion....

D
Old 09-03-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hey Jasper that sucks. I am sorry.
I think that being the person we were when we drank and the real person we are now sober are probably so different we are bound to find we don't have much in common with some of our old friends.
It's hard though.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Day 11 for me, I have had a rough couple of days but not once have thought of turning to the bottle for relief! That's a big step for me.

Hey Lyddie,TJ,HFA,, I wish you all a happy, and sober Labor Day weekend!

Jasper and Dee, I am pretty sure you don't celebrate Labor Day, but have a Great weekend!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Administrator

no ours was in May Beth

D