Notices

August Sobriety Group Part 2

Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

September Roll Call!

49 and growing stronger by the day! WHOO-HOO! :) Please let me know if I have missed anyone or added anyone in error! I hope this list is helpful in supporting and inspiring one another to further this journey we've begun together.

Listed in alphabetical order:

ANGELINA243
ANEWAUGUST
anono
auden67
August1909
badrad29
bdiddy5522
Beckles
bohemianzen
box3
BreakFree
BuddhaBear
Carlisle
ChameleonBoy
chrisfire
colly
CriseAbsolute
effortjoy
Gofish
groggles55
Hanker
Jackstone
Jeb18
Johnifer
KC1
keen2bclean
KindBird
Kjell
krylonB
lastthird
LookingForward
Midton
millieveronika
OceanBound
PurpleCat
Reese321
Richard54
rubycanoe
Shakespeare
sickofthewaste
sphalerite
tallcactus
thirtybubba
TooMuchRum
traderjane
ViciousCycle
white horses
wildrover080209
Zebra1275
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Haha! Melissa you crack me up!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Day 8

So here are my stats from yesterday...

Originally Posted by BreakFree View Post
ME
1. No alcohol (CHECK)
2. Get 8 hours of sleep (CHECK)
3. Complete before bed routine (skin care, brush and floss)

MY HOME (MY WORKPLACE)
1. Wash all dishes (CHECK)
2. Do all the laundry (CHECK)
3. Update finances and budget

MY FAMILY
1. Sit and chat with DH when he gets home (San Pellegrino in hand) (CHECK)
2. Go for a family walk (CHECK)
3. Storytime with the boys
Interesting...2 out of 3 in each area and missed the #3 on each one...maybe I'm trying to do too much? Me? LOL

So last night I was losing energy FAST! I really wanted to report back that I'd done all that I set out to do so I FORCED myself to go out for that evening walk with my family. I'm SO GLAD I did! We had a really great time! It was dark out within minutes of leaving the house, but the kids had a great time riding their bikes and DH and I got to chat. It was really good! :) I think this accountability thing works! :) I'm going to tweak it a bit...they say it takes anywhere from 21-31 days to create a habit so I think I will work on the same thing each day for a whole month. I am going to pick (3) things in (3) areas that I want to work on. These things will complement my "recovery"...

September MIT's

1. Eat a healthy breakfast
2. Get 8 hours of sleep
3. Complete before bed routine*

1. Complete morning routine*
2. Make a healthy dinner
3. Complete evening routine*

1. Sit and have a drink with DH when he gets home
2. Take an evening family walk
3. Read the children a bedtime story

*this is simple list of tasks that help my day run smoothly.

Please feel free to join me or disregard completely! LOL It's a NEW MONTH so I thought this would be a great way to start out the month!

Love,
Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Afternoon all

hello everyone out there.

Its 15.30 over in the UK and today has been a good day, realised I woke up today without a huge headache, just got a tiny one now, and other than feeling jittery, all the other symptons have gone, managed 7 hours sleep last night, got the children to school today, been shopping, hoovered, and now about to take the children to feed the ducks.

Going to make sure they eat lashings of vegetables for tea, much to their dismay, ha ha, then tidy up and go to bed. Really boring, but I'm actually revelling in the boring stuff, seeing it all clearly for the first time in 3.5 years, and it feels good.

Oh and its day 5 today, bought loads of j20 and fizzy water and cordials, so going to be experimenting with lots of soft drinks. Think I'm going to like being sober and getting up in the morning without feeling like I've been hit by a train, and everything taking me so long because of a hangover.

Take care all and stay strong.

B
x

PS, its not raining for once, yippee.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by Gofish View Post
KC -- I used to play golf. My ex-girlfriend bought me lessons with Hank Haney. I got pretty good at it but haven't played in five years so I'm sure I've lost it all. I could probably shoot three or four over par -- on every hole! Haha!
Sounds like my golf game I used to play in a league, but haven't for a few years. My son is a very good golfer, though. He'll be trying out for the high school team this year (first year in high school).

If any of you have LaCroix sparkling water available around you, it is really good and comes in a variety of flavors. No sugar (or artificial sweetener) and no sodium, which is often a problem with sparkling water.

My goals for September? Ice skate way more and figure out some sort of exercise plan for the three times a week that I am at the rink for my son's hockey practices. Last year I signed up for a gym membership, but I really don't like gyms. No luck finding an exercise program on line last night, but I do have an old Jane Fonda one from the 80's, on vinyl record. I have a system that records from record to cd, then maybe I can fit it on my IPod shuffle. I'll try recording that tomorrow, since I'll be home late tonight.

It will be weird not having my usual 4-5 beers between the time I get home tonight at 9:30 and bedtime (can we say binge?) but worth it! I'm thinking I can manage to eat dinner at the rink restaurant without having a beer since I usually only have one there anyway due to having to drive 30 miles home.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Just stopped by the September class and said hi. I remember when I first joined this group 16 days ago. I had no idea how much support I'd find. I sure do hope that they bond the way we have. Purple cat is with them so I'm sure that will help them a lot.

If you guys have a minute, drop by and tell them hello.

Hope you all have a great day!

Jason
Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gofish View Post
Just stopped by the September class and said hi...If you guys have a minute, drop by and tell them hello.
Will do Jason! :)

Trying hard to get things done today. Don't feel well and sometimes it feels like I'll never get caught up. Just think desk...piles of work to do and a million interruptions (phone, e-mail, office drop-ins). I used to be a business professional and thought being at home would be a cake walk! LOL I had no idea what I'd signed up for! :O As I was going about my tasks this morning, I thought...gosh, life really is a lot of hard work. Somewhere along the line, I thought it would become "easy". I guess it's about time I realize that there will ALWAYS be work to do and just embrace it, huh?

Life is hard work.
Life is what you make of it.
Life is GOOD.
Life is worth it.

Yeah, that's the ticket...

Love,
Old 09-01-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

well....more court dates
the person i was going to talk to and not get a lawyer was not there and i was advised to get a lawyer (wish i woulda just done that to begin with) i did thank God get one today. if they can't get the breathalyzer number down i will have to go to jail for 6 days period. no getting out of it. there is a chance he can get it thrown out and then go to work on the rest of the whole thing. still if he can't get the number down, then i'm in deep doo and will go to jail. i'm afraid to hope-he said the machine was really old and had helped someone recently because of that. i'm afraid to get my hopes up. but i don't have to wait as long. the next date is sept 15 for pretrial and if that goes ok one more court date. if it doesn't go ok then it's more than 2 more court dates. i don't know what to think.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Meow

(((bohemianzen)))

I have a friend who got two DUIs. His first one was plead down to reckless driving. After that the district court where he lives got really, really tough on drunken driving - they got a new judge who had lost someone to a drunken driver.

The second one they threw the book at him. I don't believe that he did any jail time, but he had to wear an electronic tether and show up for random urine tests - I think it was for a whole year. He said that the whole thing cost him about $30,000 and his marriage.

The next one would be serious jail time. He still drinks.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

(((bohemianzen)))
Old 09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  
Meow

So, met with the therapist. We talked for about an hour. She said that even without doing the official test stuff (I forgot my paperwork), she thinks I'm early stage 3. I looked that up on line and wasn't happy about that diagnosis. (Stage 3 is where stuff starts to go seriously wrong.)

We discussed AA, which I am rather resistant to. She then suggested intensive outpatient therapy - four hours a night, every night, for something like six weeks. Logistically I cannot do that. My son plays travel hockey, and I cannot depend on my husband (who is in worse shape than me alcohol-wise) to drive our son around. I don't drink before getting behind the wheel of a car with him, but I believe that my husband would. My parents aren't healthy enough to drive my son all over the state to play. There's nobody on our team who lives on our side of town, either, so he can't ride with someone else.

So, she might have been showing me death in order to make me accept pain, but I agreed to try some AA meetings. (She said she wouldn't treat me without them.) She wants me to do at least three a week, plus get a workbook on line that we can use in place of the intensive therapy. I looked on line and found a couple that wouldn't interfere with hockey. One is a beginners group, one is a regular group, and one is a women's group that also has a Al-anon at the same time. She suggested that Al-anon or Alateen might benefit my son. (Now I have to work up some courage to go.)

She said as far as quitting as of right now, I certainly should try but that without a community support system is would be very very hard, especially with an addicted husband. We discussed physical symptoms and anxiety issues and medication that is available. I still have my doctor's appointment for tomorrow morning, so she said if I am having any issues I can certainly see him for medications - or the doctors in her group would be willing to help too.

So, I guess the bottom line is that if I really am serious about this whole thing (and I am) then I need to bite the bullet and realize that I can't go it alone. I mentioned SR and she thought that this was a great additional place of support but she didn't feel that it should be my main tool.

Oh, one more thing. She said that this age (I'm 44) is a prime time for women to either start or escalate alcohol problems. She said they don't know for sure why, but that it may well have something to do with being pre-menopausal and the changes that our bodies are going through.

I quite liked her, which is a much better experience than the last mental health professional that I spoke with. I wanted to throw the coffee table at him he was such a jerk.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

(((PurpleCat)))
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

((((Bo))) hang in there....its hard not knowing what the future holds...

Purple...wow., your therapist sounds spot on. As a women slightly passed 44..who was sober at 44, she is on to something. My doctor told me the same thing. I would like to believe that is one of the reasons why getting back in the saddle this time took a bit more heave-hoe...but, it just could be that I am an alcoholic.

Today has been a long,hard day...worked thru lunch, which always makes the day even longer.

But, as BreakFree said, life is hard work..life is worth it.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Today I am struggling with anger. My kids were at each other a lot today and that always bothers me. But to top that off, I had to work on our finances and update our budget. It was very stressful. Combined with constant interruptions from the children (due to sibling rivalry), I became very angry. These would be the times I would call DH and ask him to pick "a little something" up on his way home. I did not do that. I don't even think I WANTED to! Pretty cool, huh? The only thing I really want is to get our life together...so even though I am stressed out and frustrated right now, I feel good that I do not want to drink! Now that's SOMETHIN' worth fighting for.

Sat with DH for a little while when he got home from work. Had a San Pellegrino with lime and decided that I needed a cup of coffee! Not a very good combination, but I need a little lift. I'm SO TIRED! He took the kids for a bike ride so after this I will finish my coffee and get dinner going.

One of the things I am really going to work on is getting quality sleep at night. My house overlooks a park and so it can be loud at night. We just purchased a quality sound machine (it just arrived today!) so tonight I plan to make a big deal about going to sleep. I'm going to read for a little while and then I'm going to fall asleep to the sound of waves in the distance! :) Ahh...sounds heavenly...

Time to go pick up where I left off...
Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  
Meow

BreakFree - wrestling with finances is always stressful! Adding fighting children to the mix - wow. Kudos to you for resisting.

I am now going to face the hard time - off to the rink. I think I might grab fast food and sit in the stands instead of going to the restaurant. As much as I thought I wouldn't be tempted, I think I will be. Fortunately I already have my hockey blanket in the car!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=PurpleCat;2350978]So, met with the therapist.
We discussed AA, which I am rather resistant to.

So, she might have been showing me death in order to make me accept pain, but I agreed to try some AA meetings.

One is a beginners group, one is a regular group, and one is a women's group that also has a Al-anon at the same time. She suggested that Al-anon or Alateen might benefit my son. (Now I have to work up some courage to go.)

Oh, one more thing. She said that this age (I'm 44) is a prime time for women to either start or escalate alcohol problems. She said they don't know for sure why, but that it may well have something to do with being pre-menopausal and the changes that our bodies are going through.

hi purple cat, it does take a lot of courage to walk into an AA meeting, i found it very hard, but i had told my kids i was going so thought, i can either go in, or sit out here for an hour, or go have a drink... no joke on that last one!!

i went in, it was a great experience...... cliche but true, i felt like i knew everyone in the room as i listened to their stories....

interesting about the age/ alcohol thing..

my aims for each day are coming along too

good night sleep
help daughter with homework!
cook dinner
clear kitchen

all done last night! ... it is 8.30 am here

cheers everyone

ps thanks for adding me to facebook go fish, i will add laura too
Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

not sure why my quote from purple cat went into ordinary text box??

breakfree: WELL DONE those days are hard!!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

I'm not counting my sober days anymore, and I don't really care to, I'm just going to worry about today. Prior to falling off the wagon and being dragged behind it for a few months this summer I had around 2100 sober days. For those of you keeping score I broke the 50,000 hour mark. Looking back at it, that was a pretty big accomplishment. I kept a journal for awhile, early on weekly and later on I would enter something only every few months. A year ago I lost it when my hard drive crashed and thought, oh well, I don't need that thing anymore anyway. Now I wish I had it, I may have a back up somewhere. Anyway, keeping track of the sober days now, when they are so minor compared to the over two grand I had probably will depress me, so I'm just going to worry about today.

Back to the tennis thing, we were out to dinner with some folks Friday night at a sports bar (no I didn't drink) and one of the TV's was showing the US Open final between John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg from 1981. They looked like kids! And, ANEWAUGUST, I sort of had a crush on Chris Evert back in the day.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
KC1

Rough time right now. I am CRAVING a glass of wine at the moment. Not sure why because I have been doing so well. My house is a mess and I don't care. When I come home from travelling for a few days, I just drop my bags in the middle of the floor and unpack when I feel like it. I haven't felt like it at all. Maybe I am just tired from all the running around the past week. Normally I would obsessively clean like I did last week, or was it the week before that??? This is driving me crazy. My husband is stopping off at a new seafood restaurant on the way home to pick up some take-out as I have work to do here at home - "real" work, not housework. I feel like calling him back and telling him to stop off and pick up a nice chardonnay, but I know he won't, which is a good thing. ARGGHHH. I think wondering WHY I want the darned wine so bad is worse than the actual craving. I will get through it, I will get through it, I will get through it. Back later, friends!!! You can count on that.

KC
Old 09-01-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

I am craving wine tonight, too Chardonnay.

I'm going for a run .... hopefully the craving will pass.