Enjoy your new page...
Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:bounce
Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hiya Tan!!

Haha Nelsie.."throw her in the bin with the statements" LOVE IT! I had the same thoughts though, Mommy running Donnie's life.....tread VERY carefully and maybe try to make her your ally. I have always said to our girls, before you marry, make SURE that you get along with his mom. It may not matter in the beginning, but boy oh boy, it will eventually. My own opinion is that sons will ALWAYS choose their mom (understandably, I suppose). Luckily, I adored my MIL and so it was never an issue. Good thing, because they lived next door!!!

Stoney, you beacon of light, you!!! Did you read Eat, Pray...? (given you uploaded it for Bee...how DID you do that from the UK? Technology just baffles me....) Do you or Louis have any Brazilian blood, by chance????

Have a great day everyone!!!

Lis
Yes Lis, Bee needs to buy her an apple a day or something!! lol

anyway Lis I was thinking AGAIN whilst cutting my gass about EAT PRAY LOVE. Remember Yudai, the guy who rented the house to her. The one that used to call her man and dude. remember it said he got off that cruise ship and ended up in suburban New Jersey!! Theres the BEE connection!! But Lis I dont think stone or louis have any brazilian in them. YOUR CLUTCHING STRAWS WOMAN!!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

maybe I'll have a better chance of keeping up with everything now that a new thread has been started.....

says Angel as she goes back to catching up with the last 166,179 LIS posts

Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

hiya Angel!! we were just pondering on a book we read called EAT,PRAY, Love

how are you?? do tell about this wonder healthy eating plan you have found.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm doing great Nel... thanks for asking!
Not sure what the next 4 days will hold in store...will find out later today if hubby is going on a trip or not... if he is, that means I have Thurs & Fri off of work & the whole weekend to myself (which is great)...or,,, if he stays, I can get caught up with my work at the shop & have the pleasure of his company all weekend long ...either way, it's all good

Last year I decided to lose and keep off the 15-20 pounds that I have yo-yo'd with all my adult life. I gave myself a whole year to do it. I now choose one thing to concentrate on each year, that way when the year comes to a close, I can proudly look back at a particular accomplishment that I made in my life in that time frame. The amount of weight I had to lose wasn't really that much when a whole year is given to it...minute, really....but,,, I knew if I didn't make a commitment to lose the weight & stick to that promise, I could very well end up a year later still wishing that I could fit into my skinny jeans. So, instead of trying to take the weight off in a matter of a few months, I decided to find an eating plan that would suit my lifestyle & tastebuds... that would take the weight off & keep it off without feeling deprived or that I was "on a diet".... because we all know, "diets don't work". Sure, we can lose the weight on these diets... but the downfall is always keeping it off. And that was the big issue for me... I have grown sick & tired of losing that same 15-20 pounds over & over... I finally decided this was going to be the last time because I refuse to put up with the low self-esteem that goes along with weight gain (in my case, anyways) & all the other negative things that go along with carrying that extra weight. I have learned a lot about myself from quitting smoking & drinking... one of the most important things I have learned is how I have turned my weaknesses into my strengths.

I think one of the most important factors in finding an eating plan that will work for you, is to find one that allows you to eat the foods that you love & crave. If a certain diet deprives you of what you want most, you will eventually go back to your old eating patterns. One thing we must remember... willpower is NOT for the long term...it's like adrenaline, good for the short term. If we rely on willpower to keep us away from certain things, eventually we will cave....the key is to not want to go back to our old ways (this encompasses everything.... eating, drinking, smoking, etc). Only when we find that we enjoy our new choices, can we ingrain them into being new habits.

I chose The Flat Belly Diet because my favorite foods were allowed..
whole grains, avocados, popcorn & dark chocolate!
It's based on a Mediterranean diet & is very healthy & easy to adapt into everyday life. And... the MUFA's (mono unsaturated fatty acids) really do flatten the tummy!
Just a note: I was telling another member here about this diet & how great it worked... when I told her about the foods that I thought were so great that were on this diet, she replied back that many of these foods she didn't care for.... and this is my point: I feel that this diet plan has worked so well for me because I get to eat the foods I love & thus, never feel deprived... for someone else that doesn't care for these foods, this diet holds no magic wand & will be just like all the other failed diets they have tried before.
The key is to find an eating plan that is healthy & that doesn't make you feel deprived of the foods you love.... when you find that, it will no longer be a "diet", it will be your lifestyle that you don't have to think twice about.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Thanks for the info on your diet Angel, I've been wanting to check that same diet out but kept forgetting. Now I will make it my business to look it up. I don't like dark chocolate though, only milk chocolate. Already I'm thinking, hmm, maybe I can substitute.

Great to see another part of Living in Sobriety, what a journey we have all been on since this thread started and it makes me smile to see so many new faces. (well that's a manner of speaking )

Had a good day today got alot accomplished, I went in this morning thinking only positive thoughts and it worked. The Mom said she actually got a good night sleep last night not thinking of all the piles of paper on her desk (they were very very high) and my boss stated that he finally is getting excited about the changes to come, Said, toss all those old statements and bills, if we owe money we'll get a newer one to work from. YAY. I also asked the mom if she would like to shred what I thought needed to go, that way she could do a double look just to make sure it could be tossed. Well, what a smile I got for that one, and she ended up shredding almost the entire pile. Ahem, acceptance and being positive prevails again. YAY. Thank God I have this program and am able to work it in my day.

Just put a load of laundry in, got to get some done, I'm sitting here drinking a nice cup of coffee, gosh I miss drinking coffee all day long. Trying to cut down and drink water instead.

Well now that I've talked to myself for awhile, I will move on to something else. Hope everyone is good. I will go back and read if I missed anything on last part.

I really am so happy that all of you are on this journey with me. :ghug2

PS Hi Tan
Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Believe808 View Post
I don't like dark chocolate though, only milk chocolate. Already I'm thinking, hmm, maybe I can substitute.
Nope... milk chocolate can't be substituted....has to be at least 70% cocoa. Sorry. lol
Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

What kind of food can you eat? I haven't googled it yet.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

each meal you are required to have one serving of a MUFA...
which can consist of nuts, olives, olive oil (certain other oils as well), avocados, dark chocolate. MUFA's are calorie & fat dense, so it is essential to measure carefully. The diet steers clear of butter & there is not much beef, mostly chicken & fish. It would be best to google it, that way you get all the facts & the principles behind how it works. I logged all my meals for about 2 weeks, and then the basic concept of what was required & the correct portions became 2nd nature and I no longer needed to journal my meals.
As I said in my earlier post, it's important for us to find an eating plan that fits each one of us.... for me, to find a diet that allowed dark chocolate was a dream come true!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

nuts, olives, olive oil, mostly chicken & fish.
All these things I eat. Thanks for the info Angel, I will definitely google it as soon as I can get a chance. My daughter would probably do it with me.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

also google "quinoa"...it's a super food. I substitute it for pasta & rice now...two things that used to pack the pounds on for me.
I've tweaked the flat belly diet to suit my metabolism, and so far I have been able to keep the weight off & always feel content with how much & what I eat

(hate to tell you this...but it seems like my body ignores the fat & calories of dark chocolate.... I have no idea why, and believe me,,, I'm not complaining, but I seem to be able to eat an almost insane amount & not gain weight... if I ate 1/10 of that in milk chocolate, I'd balloon right up) LOL
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Do I have to buy the book and cookbook?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Angel, I use coffeemate with my coffee, is that allowed?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hmmm...don't know if coffeemate is allowed or not... I have a feeling it isn't.
Their 4 day anti-bloat kick-start doesn't allow coffee, after the 4 days..coffee is fine. It's a different way of eating, I eat more simple foods now, very little processed foods; I don't eat pasta anymore, I eat quinoa instead; I eat only Ezekiel bread (in various forms); I now have only nonfat milk & yogurt, and I don't eat refined sugar. My palette has changed over the course of time this past year & I no longer crave or even desire to eat the foods I used to.

Okay...time to get to work... I'm only going to be a little over an hour late so no big deal... I can get away with that kind of thing...
I sleep with the Boss! LMAO
Old 08-19-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Believe808 View Post
Do I have to buy the book and cookbook?
I got 3 months of their online membership free with buying their book. I bought the cookbook but have never used it... never really read their book either, I learned all I needed to know through their online site... it took a few weeks to learn the basics, and after that I found I didn't need the site either. The recipes look great, I have a friend that has tried several & says that her whole family has enjoyed the recipes.

Gotta get going... I'll see you later... have a great afternoon!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Check this out: My psychology professor from a couple of semesters ago email me and offered me a paying job as a SI Leader. I would hold study groups before the tests she gives in her class. I'm so thrilled to be offered a job that I wasn't even looking for. It is only about 5 hours a week. And I can set my own schedule!

I can guarantee you that before I got sober NOBODY was offering me a job! :bounce
Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow Tan! How cool!

Hi everyone, feeling a bit meh today. Nevermind.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Tanya that is so great!!!!! And you are so right about not being called for anything while we were using. I'm so happy for you. YAY
Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Stoney, Meh is better than drunk!