FarFromUzin

He He:Wgla
Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Originally Posted by Gooch
Andy? oh Andy.....?
Yes sir?

You know, I did once get some flack from some wannabe new service policeman here in the OC. The fella tried to lecture ME of all people on the Traditions of Narcotics Anonymous. I guess he was the new PI website chair and went form there to clean up the internet of NA misfits like myself.

I went to the OCs Area Circus just to get a look at this new fella, he was kinda squirrelly but I guess he meant well, I let him be but kept the email for my amusement at later dates.

My being certified and all, anyone who really READ the NA literature would, and should rightly, be amused by the irony of such a self-proclaimed title. I have actually used it as a punny attack on the naivety of other areas around the US when I visit. When I get around the whole area and nobody catches it, I know then that the area needs a couple more book studies.

Topics like these are valuable for however heated and argumentative they may get, oftentimes they become invaluable since times like these may be the only exposure many members get to a practical debate on issues of political and spiritual valor.

Actually, per the spirit of our tradition in NA, I would consider this message board a meeting, for it is a place where two or more addicts gather for the sake of getting and staying clean. There are those who would argue the politics to the smallest detail, however when weighing the potential risks against the potential benefits, I for one have witnessed the benefits far outweighing the risks over the years that I've interacted here.

I personally think the bickering over such petty things as who's posting what and where (except for cyber terrorism), is far more unattractive as well as in opposition to our principles. A passing post about someone’s kid or a new drug therapy someone is or might want to try using will not bring NA down, nor will it really cloud the potential good this section of the board could do. The REAL message might be how we can PRACTICE the principles of unconditional love, tolerance, and the spirit of service rather than necking them and behaving the opposite.

One thing I found to be true as it keeps repeating itself, in my experience each meeting and group that tries to filter out the impurities in NA end up filtering out the very ingredients that NA such a powerful and effective tonic of relief for those who suffer. Instead of moving closer, through any exclusive process they end up slipping further away.

In loving service and fellowship
andyaddict
Los Angeles

Last edited by andyaddict; 10-28-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:56 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Originally Posted by doorknob
It sounded to me like it was the group that hired the attorney.
me too
Old 10-28-2006, 11:57 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

http://www.google.com/search?hs=XhO&...s+&btnG=Search

4th result down on google per a generic "narcotics anonymous" search is SR...the link brings up this page http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/n...anonymous.html the first thing you see after the NA name is a roatating ad for various treatment centers. How is this okay? It is the same link that is pulled up when clicking on the "NA meetings" link at the bottom of the page. That implies that the treatment center is a "NArcotics Anonymous Treatment Center" How is this okay?

THis website is an outside enterprise, traditions are very clear on this topic...I've talked with my sponsor and quite a few other people in the program here about it and it's black and white....6th tradition
Old 10-29-2006, 01:44 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Good thread

Good discussion

Discussion is vital to growth, part of discussions can included disagreement and dissent and still be healthy.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blake
http://www.google.com/search?hs=XhO&...s+&btnG=Search

4th result down on google per a generic "narcotics anonymous" search is SR...the link brings up this page http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/n...anonymous.html the first thing you see after the NA name is a roatating ad for various treatment centers. How is this okay? It is the same link that is pulled up when clicking on the "NA meetings" link at the bottom of the page. That implies that the treatment center is a "NArcotics Anonymous Treatment Center" How is this okay?
This is exactly the inferred affiliations that concern me.

How can the ignorant, ( and I use the term respectfully to mean anyone who has no experience) during a time when they are under the stress of getting clean or trying to find help for a loved one, be expected to do the research or take the time to sift through the implications and inferences ?

Do we as more experienced members have a responsibility to work together in concert with those supporters of Narcotics Anonymous, to eliminate implied endorsements, and affiliations as soon as they are recognize, rather than have to to constantly do "clean up"?

Only speaking for myself but it seems easier to learn something new once rather than having to relearn it to correct the poor examples I was given in the first place.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I like it the way things are. Thats why I come here. I hope the name stays the same.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:58 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Here is the response I got from NAWS:
Hello Blake, thank you for contacting NA World Services. Although the World Board has not had the opportunity to consider your correspondence, we are happy to offer some thoughts in response. The advertisements that you described are one of the many challenges faced when attempting to conduct an NA meeting/discussion board online. However, because soberrecovery.com is a resource-based website for addiction and alcoholism we are not surprised to see all types of Twelve Step Fellowships represented and treatment/detox center advertisements. It’s important to remember that although NA is guided by our Twelve Traditions, outside enterprises are not. Indeed it’s frustrating as an NA member to see that our message might be blurred. It seems that this may be a misuse of the name Narcotics Anonymous. If a site considers it self to be NA then they should consider the 6th tradition issues, but since they are clearly not NA, then the best solution may be to change the name of the discussion board so that there is no confusion here.

You may be aware that we do not attempt to regulate or manage such discussion boards or online meetings. We do list online meetings on our website as a service to our members. Similarly with face to face meetings, we recognize that it is not our role to regulate or manage what goes on internally. With that said, we are unable to contact soberrecovery.com. It seems that the issues would need to be rectified by the members of the discussion board.

Please feel free to offer any follow-up thoughts or questions.

In fellowship,

Carrie R.

NAWS Staff
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Old 11-01-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Excellent discription of what the 6th tradition means & why it is important: http://www.nawol.org/2006_trad6.htm

THis one line really jumped out at me, "When we compromise our Sixth Tradition "one time," we lose our integrity as a Fellowship."
Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

You may be aware that we do not attempt to regulate or manage such discussion boards or online meetings. We do list online meetings on our website as a service to our members. Similarly with face to face meetings, we recognize that it is not our role to regulate or manage what goes on internally. With that said, we are unable to contact soberrecovery.com. It seems that the issues would need to be rectified by the members of the discussion board.
Thank you for posting the reply Blake.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

THat's what I'm trying to do, rectify this situation with the members of this message board.

THe facts are simple, the use of the name narcotics anonymous on this site is a violation of NA's 6th tradition (primarily, but other traditions also), NAWS stated that if the site isn't NA, which it isn't, then the best thing to do would be to change the name.

I personally feel like it is very disrespectful to the fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous four our name to be used in conjunction with advertisements without ever seeking approval from NAWS. I love NA and the very begining of our tradtions state "we keep what we have pnly with vigilance,"

THere are 3 possible ways to rectify this:
1.Accept that this board isn't NA. Change the name of the discussion board to something else and remove the name from other pages of this site that have advertising.

2. Claim this board is NA and remove all advertising from any page using the Narcotics Anonymous name, removing the links at the bottom of this forum linking to treatment/detox centers, the banner at top for the alexa toolbar so that NO outside enterprises are endorsed.

3. Leave everything the same and continue to **** on NA's traditions.

I'm really hoping that option 3 is left out of it....I have learned alot here at SR and I'd really hate to have to leave this message board, but I can't stay at a place that uses the narcotics anonymous name and willingly trashes the traditions of that fellowhip that saved my life....
Old 11-02-2006, 11:54 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
FarFromUzin

It already says, "Unofficial Narcotics Anonymous message board . . . . . ."
Maybe the Unofficial should be bold or a larger font.

Another website uses the following disclaimer:
"These are member's personal views. NA has no opinions on outside issues and is not affiliated with any outside websites."

Any 12-Step message board will have the same problem as they, for the most part, have the same traditions.

Just a suggestion.

FFL
Old 11-02-2006, 11:55 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

I mean, running a "narcotics anonymous" board that doesn't follow traditions is like running a "kosher" deli that serves med rare bacon cheese burgers....
Old 11-02-2006, 01:34 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Twelve Step Recovery- NA
The unofficial NA forum. Not endorsed by WSO.
Purely our own ES&H in recovery with NA.
I haven't posted a lot here on this topic. I sure understand why it has been brought up though. Maybe the thing in quotes would be enough to solve this issue?!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:45 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

I personally like todd's suggestion....Friends of Jimmy K....it doesn't have NA or Narcotics Anonymous in it at all, but people will know what it means...
Old 11-02-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
FarFromUzin

What people will know what it means? Those of us who are familiar with NA's history will know, but WILL the newcomer looking for support know what it means?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:31 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

I'm sure that they will see it under the drug addiction category and figure it has something to do with addiction and who knows they might even pop in ask a question or two, sounds like a good thing to me...besides the topics contained within would help to provide context.

Besides the description of the forum under the name could deffinately be worded in a way that makes it clear.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
FarFromUzin

Yes, it could be. It very well could be. I just want to make sure those that need help can find us.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

THose that need help are guided by their HP's...they will find help if they look for it.