None of the Above
7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Change

Old 11-02-2006, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Forum Change

If we were to change the forum which vote would you leave?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Vic, the 2nd choice "NA but not endorsed by the WSO" is basically the same as leaving it as is...the problem is that using the name Narcotics Anonymous or NA is a violation of the 6th tradition and switching to number two would be "like switching seats on the titanic"...it's still using the NA name and itcould be misconstrued as an implied endorsement of any of the various ads found on this site.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Hey, how many votes does Narcotics Anonymous World Service count for? THey sent me an email saying that SR should change the name, it's posted on the other forum change thread...

Personally I think NAWS should get at least 21,500 one for each home group in the world....
Old 11-02-2006, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I look at it like this the other thread keeps going and going and going. It talked even about voting to change the name. I figured that if we have a poll, the poll wins. There is a solution that is what we are taught also in NA. I am not one to stay caught up in a problem, especially when the problem isn't going away.

Not everyone is going to agree, not everyone is going to disagree. We wouldn't be human if we did. I am well aware of both points, but really it is time to move on. Just my own opinion.

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 11-02-2006, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why not ...

Friends of JIMMY K as a forum name....and immediately below it in a somewhat smaller font the expkanation that it's a Non endorsed affiliated forum for members of Narcotics Anonymous.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Originally Posted by Blake
Vic, the 2nd choice "NA but not endorsed by the WSO" is basically the same as leaving it as is...the problem is that using the name Narcotics Anonymous or NA is a violation of the 6th tradition and switching to number two would be "like switching seats on the titanic"...it's still using the NA name and itcould be misconstrued as an implied endorsement of any of the various ads found on this site.
The WSO does not represent the groups, hell even the WSC barely has a glimmer of what the true spiritual conscience of our groups is. The WSO is an "office" not our government, their job is to organize a web page, print and distribute literature, and answer calls; the WSO is by no means a definitive voice in NA.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been relaying your thoughts to the owners of the site and they have decided that all 12 step forum's names will be changed, not because of the traditions of which these fellowships are built upon, but because they are trademarked names in the US Patent and Trademark office.

I am waiting to hear if the NA and AA symbols will also need to be removed from signatures and avatars. I am also waiting to find out what the new name of each forum will be and then I will change them.

Thanks,
MG
Old 11-03-2006, 03:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am also going to have to ask that all Narcotics Anonymous Trademarks be removed from avatars and signature images.

http://www.na.org/legal/ipbul2rv.htm
Old 11-03-2006, 03:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Mine doesn't have the circle around it so I should be standing OK

Old 11-03-2006, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

the way it is now?
Narcotics Addiction-12 Step Support?

or the way it was?
which was just "narcotics anonymous" i believe.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

thank you....
Old 11-05-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

In any fellowship you are a member when you say that you are!. No one can decide that for you. Also from what I know it takes 2/3 of the group to uphold a vote. With that being said I think that this poll speaks for the members here. It should remain Narcotics Anonymous Forum

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 11-05-2006, 06:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyaddict
The WSO does not represent the groups, hell even the WSC barely has a glimmer of what the true spiritual conscience of our groups is. The WSO is an "office" not our government, their job is to organize a web page, print and distribute literature, and answer calls; the WSO is by no means a definitive voice in NA.
it may not be the definitive voice of na, and its not our government, but what it does is at the direction of the WSC, which is composed of our trusted servants. at least thats how i look at it. particularly in regards to the fipt.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckyv2
In any fellowship you are a member when you say that you are!. No one can decide that for you. Also from what I know it takes 2/3 of the group to uphold a vote. With that being said I think that this poll speaks for the members here. It should remain Narcotics Anonymous Forum

With Love and Respect

Vic
but its already been changed... the name that is.

just curious where do you get "2/3 of a group to uphold a vote"? all groups have different policies in regards to voting, some 2/3, some by concensus based decision making, some simple majority. is 2/3 the policy of the soberrecovery na group? is this an na group?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by lucyo
is 2/3 the policy of the soberrecovery na group? is this an na group?
Any two addicts gathered together is considered a group.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Actually, two addicts gathered together for the sake of staying clean can call themselves a meeting. Once they start meeting regularly and are guided by the six points defining a group, they can call themselves a group.

a
Old 11-05-2006, 08:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by andyaddict
Actually, two addicts gathered together for the sake of staying clean can call themselves a meeting. Once they start meeting regularly and are guided by the six points defining a group, they can call themselves a group.

a
I stand corrected on the group part as the meeting. Andy could you please tell me where to find the guide by the six points that define a goup. Thanks

Vic
Old 11-05-2006, 08:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Never mind Andy I did the research Thanks for all that you bring to SR

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 11-05-2006, 10:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

its any 2 addicts gather together for recovery could be considered a meeting... which is not a group.

my main question was about the 2/3 vote, who came up with 2/3, why not simple majority or consensus based?
is the 2/3 a policy of the soberrecovery forum?
or a policy of the soberrecovery na group, if this is a group?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Who cares what the forum is called. At first I was against a name change. After reading some good posts and giving this some thought, I think a name change is a good idea. I would really hate for some newcomer to Goggle NA and come in here and read these ridiculous arguments and debates and decide NA is not for them. Looks like its a done deal to me. Can we please move on? This could go on forever. Quoting the traditions, showing off our egos, and debating this thing. People can get mad and leave, others can get banned. In the end was anything accomplised? The only thing that matters to me here at SR is reaching out to a newcomer. Or someone struggling to get clean or stay clean for even one day. Sharing my experience, strength, and hope as others did and still do with me. Crap, Im gonna go wait for the race to come on. You guys have fun and enjoy your day.