Notices

paxil and drinking

Old 12-03-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

paxil and drinking

I have been known to have problems with drinking. It was one of the reasons I switched from Effexor to Paxil because I have read in numerous places that effexor causes alcohol cravings. Well yesterday was my first day on Paxil 20mg and I stupidly decided to have a glass of wine, One glass turned into 5 in a matter of like 2 hours. I am afraid now that this is going to happen again. Does anyone know if Paxil is linked to drinking in any way. I really need to stop this vicious cycle. It is interfering with my life and my sleep and not helping my hypomania. My PDOC had put me on Depakote but after reading all the side effects I got scared to take it. I am only on saphris 2.5mg at night along with the Paxil.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unless I am mistaken, Paxil is in the benzo class. Mixing benzos with booze can have very very bad results. Be careful.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No Paxil is an antidepressant. Benzos which I am very familiar with are xanax, valium, ativan etc. I don't drink on those. But thanks for your input.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Paxil is an SSRI.

It is often prescribed for OCD, so after you have taken it for a while it is supposed to quiet the obsessive thoughts.

However, taking SSRIs while drinking is counter-productive.

The drinking you have to stop - none of your other meds are going to work as prescribed while drinking.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Rather than posting links to a bunch of articles I found on this subject, I will encourage you to Google: Mixing Paxil with Alcohol and read the information on what you are doing to yourself. Hint: NOT GOOD!

I hope you will consider giving up alcohol.... for good.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry, I was mistaken. I hope you stay safe!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks. I love your quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unhappy

[I]I have been asked to write this story to raise awareness about a strange side effect of treatment and my efforts to get to the bottom of it.

Before my problems began I had been working as a health care assistant at my local hospital in Surrey for five years. I enjoyed my job. I had a stable life. I owned my own home and car.

Following the sudden and devastating death of my father I became anxious and over a period of a year developed a fear of choking which got worse to the point that I was avoiding food and losing weight. I realized I needed help.

I went to my GP and was prescribed paroxetine 20mg in liquid form because I couldn’t swallow the tablets. I had nausea, dizziness, felt spaced out and detached but was assured by my doctor that these symptoms would settle down.....

To begin with I was concerned about drinking alcohol on the medication. I checked the patient information leaflet which gave, what seemed to me, to be a mild warning that “although it is always advisable to avoid alcohol whilst taking medication there is no known interactions with Paroxetine and alcohol”. This reassured me that it was safe enough to have a few drinks with friends.

And I have a friend who if he doesn't take his Paxil he gets sick in less than 24 hours.

GlaxoSmithKline has proposed a class action lawsuit settlement to resolve allegations it falsely and deceptively advertised that its prescription antidepressant Paxil is non-addictive. If approved, the Paxil class action settlement will provide cash refunds to California residents who purchased Paxil between 1999 and 2003.

The Paxil settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit, Grair v. GlaxoSmithKline, alleging GlaxoSmithKline (“GSK”) falsely advertised and promoted Paxil as being non-habit forming or non-addictive, and that GSK’s advertisements and promotional materials failed to disclose the risk of symptoms users may experience if they stopped using Paxil.

Class Members of the Paxil class action settlement who can provide Proof of Purchase can receive a full refund of the out-of-pocket expenses they paid for Paxil during the Class Period, provided the total amount of claims does not exceed $8.5 million.

Class Members without Proof of Purchase can still file a claim to receive up to $80 of out-of-pocket expenses, provided the total amount of these claims does not exceed $500,000.

Just look it up I closed the tab with link. WIFI real slow

Did anyone tell you about these things ?

"Non addictive" ya, I believed that one too.

Last edited by Dee74; 12-04-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: no blog links, thanks. rule#1
Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Informed consent is the law, why do so many prescribers fail to follow it ?

The Law: Patients have the right to full informed consent regarding the medical legitimacy of psychiatric diagnosis, the risks of psychiatric treatments, the right to all available medical alternatives, and the right to refuse any treatment considered harmful.

This medication may help you..., BUT you may get real sick when you try and quit.

One sentence, how damb hard is that ?????
Old 12-04-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Paxil is an SSRI.

However, taking SSRIs while drinking is counter-productive.

The drinking you have to stop - none of your other meds are going to work as prescribed while drinking.
I was prescribed Paxil in a mental hospital as an antidepressant around two weeks after I stopped drinking. It too is an addictive substance so I couldn't continue to take it, it was only a temporary measure.

As mentioned, taking Paxil with alcohol is counter-productive and the results can be disastrous. I encourage you to stop drinking and seek help with your recovery.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you have hypomania you should not be taking an antidepressant without a mood stabilizer. Are you seeing a psychiatrist? Most general doctors are not well-versed in treating bipolar disorder.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Paxil and alcohol was a nightmare for me and induced 30kg wieght gain and a sort of psychosis....please BEWARE OF MIXING ALCOHOL AND PAXIL
Old 01-17-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was on Paxil for 4 years and drank like a fish AND gained 50+ pounds! I have no idea if there's a link with taking Paxil (or any other SSRI) and alcohol. All I know, in my experience, I had a hollow leg with putting away alcohol.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by violetflame View Post
No Paxil is an antidepressant. Benzos which I am very familiar with are xanax, valium, ativan etc. I don't drink on those. But thanks for your input.
Back when I was drinking, I thought that alcohol and benzos went quite well together, kind of like white wine and fish.

The treatment center seemed to think differently, though.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stay away from alcohol if you are on any drug. Just my opinion.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have weaned off Paxil twice. You can't just quit cold turkey so I guess in that sense it is addictive. However, you don't have cravings for it like alcohol or cigarettes so in that sense it's not addictive. You just have to wean off so that the withdrawals aren't as bad.

The problem with mixing alcohol with SSRI's is they cancel each other out so the SSRI's are less effective.

I have never heard of any SSRI that produces alcohol cravings but I suppose with the right brain anything is possible.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I take prolixon lamictal trazodone and klonopin. Drinking on them I would feel like crap for like 3 to 6 days. I'm trying to ween off klonopin so far no success.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
I was on Paxil for 4 years and drank like a fish AND gained 50+ pounds! I have no idea if there's a link with taking Paxil (or any other SSRI) and alcohol. All I know, in my experience, I had a hollow leg with putting away alcohol.
I was on Zoloft(another SSRI) and that is when my drinking really escalated. Looking back it started with Paxil when it was prescribed after my divorce. I always thought the drinking started with the divorce but after my experience with Zoloft I wonder. Not drinking does wonders for the depression and anxiety.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

About 14 years ago I was prescribed Paxil and it is also around that time I switched from an occasional drinker to an everyday, heavy drinker. I've always suspected Paxil contributed to my alcohol abuse. Not the cause, but just made it worse.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

For me it was while on Effexor. Rarely drank prior, escaleted and continued after.