Notices

Weaning Off of Effexor

Old 06-05-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's been about two weeks with my full daily maintenance dose of Effexor plus the extra little bit of Wellbutrin. I sensed yesterday that I might be getting a trifle hypomanic (but I hate for it to end! :-O).

For a couple days, I thought Wellbutrin might be causing insomnia, but that went away after a couple of days.

Looks like I'm tolerating the Wellbutrin well and it is definitely having an effect as an antidepressant.

I will have my appointment with the psychiatrist on June 27, and hopefully she will give me a tapering dose for the Effexor.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wellbutrin is supposed to help with weight loss and smoking cessation? how are you feeling? it sounds like your Efexxor dose is low, so you can come off of it easier.
I hope you are feeling better.

my daughter was on Effexxor for a couple of years and gained 60 lbs.....she hated it and no longer takes it either...(but she needs something to stabilize her because she can't seehow unmanageable she is).
Old 06-05-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hmmm! I hadn't noticed a decrease in my eating, yet yesterday I managed to fit into my size 12 shorts that I haven't fit into for two years! Go, Wellbutrin! Now I want to lose the rest of that stubborn final 15 pounds!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I had post partum and was on Effexor. I got a new job and lost my insurance for a period of time and went off them cold turkey. I got those mind zaps and it was bad... Lasted about a week.

That was 14 years ago and I didn't know enough to check online or with a doc about it though. That being said, it completely helped with the post partum.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have a clue what mind zaps are. My good friend developed seratonin syndrome with Cymbalta after months of successfully taking it for back pain. She was sent to the ER by her primary care, and they told her she was hyperventilating!

Then she had seizures!

Are they like severe, severe jolts? I often get them while sleeping when I use Trazodone as a doctor-prescribed sleep aid. I don't wake up, but it's really disturbing.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

It almost felt like.,, so you're sitting there an you get the zap and it's like you're suddenly alert but you know that were alert before. It's hard to explain.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have taken Paxil, and Zoloft, and then Effexor. I took a low dose of Effexor for a year and when I stopped taking it, I was shocked. I was taking such a low dose that it wasn't possible to 'wean off' except to deal in the grains, although looking back, that is what I should have done.

I had to take two weeks off from work. I did it cold turkey. Everything hurt: the one sheet on top of me, the watch on my wrist, the cars outside, the breeze. Everything hurt. It was like a constant migraine. But it got better.

My advice would be to reduce the dose by grains. Maybe a couple of grains every day. This is a tricky drug.

I also got the mind zaps, but they were the least of my troubles. The withdrawal from Effexor is something to take seriously. Reducing slowly, bit by bit, is the way to do it. There is no rush. Unless you want to sign up for a crazy painful detox, and can afford to take the time off to do it.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

What a pain in the butt!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I weaned off Pristiq (newer Effexor version). I weaned for two weeks and then just stopped. Not too bad besides some insomnia, a little anxiousness, and fragile emotionally. I teared-up watching a youtube video of something from Britain's Got Talent haha.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My doc wanted to try Effexor. I took one pill and was very ill for about 3 days. It was absolutely horrendous for me.

Wellbutrin is the best of the antidepressants I have tried so far. While having bad problems with anxiety though it did seem to make it worse. My doc has told me just to cut back during anxiety episodes. Seems to work.

There are a lot of positive aspects about Wellbutrin that it is my drug of choice for depression. When I first took it I had been smoking cigarettes (only a couple of months). Wellbutrin seemed to remove the desire to smoke cigarettes. I would completely forget about smoking and I jumped on the opportunity to stop completely. Wellbutrin also helps keep my weight down. It seems to reduce my appetite. It is also the only med of this type I have taken that did not kill destroy sexual desires. Best of the antidepressants that I have taken so far.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well, this is the day I've been waiting for! I just got back from my psychiatrist after the trial period of 1-150mg pill of Wellbutrin a day combined with my usual dose of 3-75mg Effexors.

Today she had increased my dose of Wellbutrin to 2 a day, and decreased my Effexor to 2 a day. She thought I could handle that much tapering at once because I can go up and down from three to four as needed as the seasons change.

I am so psyched! I will be skipping my afternoon dose of Effexor and replacing it with Wellbutrin. Watch this space as I turn into a homicidal maniac over the next week!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well, the tapering has begun. I took a second Wellbutrin in the afternoon and skipped the Effexor. Turns out I had a hellaciously stressful day today, all day long. I look forward to seeing when the withdrawal symptoms are going to kick in.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day one on 2 a day--so far, so good.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think I may be getting a slight headache.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good luck with it Gilmer that stuff can be tricky.
Hope it's a quick smooth transition.
Best
Artful
Old 06-28-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

An hour later, got into a vexed discussion about an overdue bill. He kept drilling and drilling, and I out of nowhere went nuclear, shrieking and swearing and flailing my arms--I actually knocked the glasses right off my face!

Then i stomped outside in my bedroom slippers and sped off in my car to the edge of town and back. Not tempted to drink at all--I could think of nothing that would make me worse off. Just a headache waiting to happen!

I came back and carried on as if nothing had happened. It was very awkward with my sons there. I never even raise my voice, much less screech at the top of my lungs. My husband offered to do take out Chinese and go watch "Breaking Bad" upstairs.

When we settled in, I said calmly, "I think that was withdrawal from the Effexor."

He said, "Yeah, I figured that."

He really came through tonight. We ate the Chinese food, and now we're going to watch "Breaking Bad."

After all that drama, I actually feel a bit dizzy now.

Looking forward to what tomorrow brings!
Old 06-29-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning--periods of slight nausea.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm used to three large cups of coffee a day--this morning I had 1 1/2 and got a splitting headache.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Morning of day three--slight headache.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi to the folks I know and pleased to meet you to those I don't.

Found this thread and wanted to join in. I"m on a medically developed plan to quit drinking using bupropion. I'm at the end of my first week of 150 mg, and next week advance to 300 mg. So far, no side effects other than occasional momentary dizziness.

For the first time in a long time, my first thought upon waking was NOT: "Let's have a drink".

That is progress.