Notices

Just a thought on bipolar

Old 05-02-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a thought on bipolar

Do you think that being bipolar (un medicated or not diagnosed or even diagnosed) increases your chances of becoming an alcoholic/drug addict??

or do you think it's just part of our genetic makeup???

pondering today....

Happy Sunday everyone!! xxoxox
Old 05-02-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mental disorders such as depression/bipolar/anorexia have all been linked to an increased risk of abusing alcohol and drugs. There have been reports that have shown almost 50 percent of people with a severe mental illness like bipolar also met the DSM requirements (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) for substance abuse.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Self-medicating without realizing was just anotherbrick in the wall for my alcoholism. I seem to have many characteristics that pretty much left me defenseless. Childhhood trauma to genetics.

I think it does increase it.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KCB.com/justfortoday :-)

Personally I couldn't cope with the highs and lows of my mood disorder. The alcohol and drugs that I took allowed me to escape and to have some kind of control over them.

I think that I was born an alcoholic though...I reckon with or without my mood disorder I always would have been one.

Interesting question love...and one that is very thought provoking!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am bipolar and alcoholic. I am sure that drinking makes the BP worse, so it's clear what I have to do. I have been sober eleven days.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

You know, I read that Bi-Polar disorder is at it's peak in our 20's and gets better as we age. Which makes sense seeing as I was hell on wheels in my 20's. Now, I haven't been diagnosed with any particular thing, but if I had another doctor they probably would have "picked" this one. Most of us just had something "picked" for us!

Changes happen hormonally and chemically as we age. Anyone else notice moods lessening as they get older?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was hell on wheels in my 20's too!!! I'm now 38 and thought I was the oldest living teenager until I quit drinking and started taking lithium... I think the combination of living sober,taking my meds, and just life experiences makes you kinda humbled... and the hormonal and chemical changes I'm sure make some difference.. mind you I have met a few more mature adults who when not taking meds, and are drinking are waaay out of control!! so maybe it's all in the individual..??

Great question Alizerin!!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

i'm not sure but I self medicated the bipolar til I became a drunk...
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i mask whatever mental deficiencies i have with alcohol, doesnt really help anything, its all i know though
Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Ride... I did the same for a very very long time...are u getting any help?? are u on meds??
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im bipolar 1, and I definetley belive that it increases your odds for self medicating into addiction. I also have ocd. Ive been a alcoholic for six years and did the worst thing ever by not taking my meds and drink and use drugs. My last drug and alcohol fueled manic stage I accidentley shoot a hole through my neighbors front door, had every cop in the city there told me they were not gonna take me to jail, but call an ambulance. Mister, Don't you know your meds say don't drink with and don't you know not to mess with guns while intoxicated? I don't take them that offten. What are they for bi-polar, ocd, ya know stuff to help my impulses. I hate them hospital rooms with the solid steel doors, the roll down door that covers all the equipment, concrete walls. Luckily they oppened it after I sobbered up and signed the paperwork. Im 20 and I hope this don't get any f****** worse. My personal anwser: YES Ecspecially when the head starts racing a million miles a min. Just so you all know, you have througly scared the hell out of me with saying it peaks in your 20's
Old 06-18-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey everyone in my 20's I was like a chicken with its head cut off. If everyone would've just stay out of my buisness I would be fine LOL. I realized that I was the problem not everyone else.Then I got clean and I was really really sick. Then I realized I was a 42 year old but felt like a lost little boy full of fear and anxiety...Today Im clean/sober and learning to feel and think. I cant run anymore Im tired. I suffer from bi-polar and living just for today. Peter
Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wait to go Peter!!! are you taking any meds?? I'm on lithium...and serqueol sometimes at night to help me sleep.....
Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Legs.....

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
Wait to go Peter!!! are you taking any meds?? I'm on lithium...and serqueol sometimes at night to help me sleep.....
Yes legs Im on seroquel and neurontin.....be well
Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I was diagnosed with severe bp type I several months after my sober/clean date.
My psychiatrist believed I had self medicated with alcohol and diet pills for years.
I fully agree..
Old 06-19-2010, 06:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Storm.. I for sure self medicated too...my doc says that's very typical of bp's...now that I'm sober my moods are alot better..the lithium is really working for me....life's not like a pendulm anymore!!
Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey there Peter..liked how you called me legs!!! LOL LOL...
Old 06-19-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey storm and legz lol it does get better a day a time with meeting ,meds [under the care of a doc] working the steps ,sponsor etc... keep up the good work..We all need to stay balanced...Bi-polar when not under control can destroy my sense of balance..one day Im over doing it or the next day completed depressed and in bed all day...hang in there....Peter
Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Well....right now...I am feeling tad unbalanced. But am undergoing blood tests...doing the right thing. It is so nice talking to other bp's here!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, definite link, endorphin and dopamine malfunctions, as well as type a personality and anxiety disorders.