Notices

Dra

Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Arrow Dra

Soon I be off to my DRA meeting. By far this program is best fit for me when it comes to 12-step type meetings. I do need a place where I can share openly without fear of criticism about my mood stabilizing medication and secular beliefs. DRA understands about why some people in DRA need to work a program that is free of spiritual principles (DRA: The Spiritual Dimension and What if I don't believe in God?)...like myself. I feel very conformable and secure working a secular individual program within the fellowship of Dual Recovery Anonymous.

So I'm thinking I'll buy the work book and work my DRA program on this thread. Join me if you wish no matter what duel addiction treatment program you work. All are welcome.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Thanks for sharing. This sounds quite interesting and something I might find useful
Old 11-04-2009, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I looked it up and there is a meeting in my area so I guess I may have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool nandm. I hope DRA is something you can work into your treatment program.

Well...ack...I forgot to buy the workbook. I do have 'The Twelve Steps and Dual Disorders Workbook' and I know who the literature person is, so I can stop by and get the companion book to the book I already have.

What some of my duel diagnosis (du-dia) addiction treatment consist of.

So today and tomorrow I go to the County Behavioral Clinic (IDDT) for groups. Today is the PTSD group. And tomorrow is the Duel Diagnosis Addiction Group. Both groups meet for two hours once a week. Both groups use CBT as dose the main body (I use REBT too) of my personalized du-dia treatment. Also I go to a Rehabilitation Center once a week for an art group. I do like to attend AA once a week because of the sober friendships I have developed within AA meetings. That and the social events at the Alano Club where the AA meetings are held are fun and good for sober fellowship.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

DRA Step One

So far what I believe about powerlessness with regards to addiction is:

I feel I was powerless over my cravings for drugs (harmful substances). From what I have gathered about drug cravings tell me that my brain became hard wired to seek out the pleasurable effects from drug taking. I think I can understand how someone may believe that they are powerless over their addiction because the cravings are so strong that become compelled to use drugs when they don't want to use drugs. What I have experienced with cravings is that even if the cravings are powerful, the withdraw from drugs painful and the only action to sooth the extrema discomfort is to use drugs again, however I do have control over my actions.

In addiction treatment I have learned that even tho I have no control over my cravings, I can do something about them and resist the compulsion to get high. Seeking the help of caring others is a great aid in my treatment efforts. Arresting addiction alone did not work well for me...so I sought help. It is personally very rewarding and a great boost to my self-worth to know that it is possible to change a stubborn compelling behavior when I take action to do so.

Latter will be what I believe about powerlessness with regards to my mental illness.

And its now time to get out to an appointment and then the PTSD group.

Make it a great day or at least try

Last edited by Zencat; 11-12-2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add link
Old 11-14-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I'll work on the idea of having a no-fault illness.

When I first started to get high I was still an adolescent and I don't think I understood what I was doing other than getting high was fun and wrong. I remember at the time getting high was one way I could rebel against my mother because of the sexual trauma she caused me as a young child. I rebelled against her constantly, usually in ways that caused me to get harshly physically punished. So getting high was going against her morals and I was able to getaway with it.

I believe now that trying to assess fault or no-fault matters only if it helps one overcome addiction...its a personal choice and I'll go along with the no-fault because of what I understand about [1] addiction and myself. I'm feeling that the PTSD, with my behavioral disorder were set in motion well before addiction changed my brain structure and chemistry that a no-fault prognoses is proper. because from childhood until I entered rehab at 40 yrs old my ways of rebellion and subsequent addiction were set firm in my personality.

[1]
Even many people who recognize addiction as a disease, still get hung up on whether or not it is a "no-fault" illness.

It is true that the individual initially makes the voluntary decision to use drugs. But once addicted, it is no longer a simple matter of choice.

It is clearly in everyone's interest to rise above our moral outrage that addiction results from a voluntary behavior and get addicted people into drug treatment.

Source NIDA
Old 11-14-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I go to a few AA meetings most weeks for my recovery from alcoholism, expert opinion found I have Asperger's Syndrome (together with some frequently associated differences), experience and experimentation point to one of the many versions of manic depression together with symptoms of PTSD, and I have other conditions affecting my CNS and other parts. So 'Multiple' is better for me than 'dual'. A certain medicine addresses several of these issues at the same time.

I strongly disapprove of the word 'disorder'. In my opinion it should always be replaced by 'illness' or 'condition'. The terms 'diagnosis' and 'recovery' are fine, in my opinion.

The new perspective that is gradually being pieced together, and is increasingly resembling the original intuitive one, simply restates my experience that some of my other troubles began before I picked up the first drink.

As I've got experience, it helps my strength and my hope (which are part of my experience) to stand up.

It is since I started on what I call my 'miracle drug' almost three years after I last put down the drink that, with help from HP (as defined by DRA) I was able to obtain the help of my newest sponsor who understands DR well.

Down my way in AA is a sort of informal campaign against members interfering in other members' medication regimes. For a start, with an AA hat on we as members don't have an opinion on matters other than alcoholism.

I think p.133 is dealing with medication to help stop drinking and recover from some of its ravages. But the other sources cited together with the consistent ethos of AA strongly support the DRA position as the DRA site explicitly acknowledges.

The basis of spirituality argued by the DRA site (which some members choose to call non-spirituality) is also compatible with what I have always understood from AA. I am deeply religious but my equally deep sense of logic (which is part of my religion anyway) has fathomed that the principles which AA calls spirituality encompass the examples cited by individual contributors on the DRA page plus my numerous AA acquaintances with 'no beliefs' and the DRA site authors have flagged up AA sources that in their view too, accord with that.

I may well drop back into this thread from time to time about my progress and use a phrase such as 'HP (as defined by DRA)', I hope that will be acceptable. I am on step 1, dipping into step 2, at the moment.

The DRA site helpfully included an explanation of Step 2 incorporating an understanding of where one's sources of help will concretely be - sponsor, books, groups and a range of individuals at them, medicines, certain professionals, and their combined effect - and in my own language I call that how providence works, at this moment, for me. If selected (certainly not all) church or interchurch elements agree with that, I draw on their gifts also - I may refer to these as 'other consistent friends' in future.

Sometimes I find a person agrees with my approach one minute and not the next, so I have to distinguish what is said one moment from another and see whether it was helpful (an exercise in avoiding prejudice). I am like the whale sucking in the huge amount of krill of help and then filtering it, rather than (whatever species - I'm no ichthyologist ) snapping the odd thing that comes into my field of vision, but that's just me ...

I hear that anguish arises over responsibility in a no-fault illness situation.

We didn't ask for our illnesses but we each now bear the responsibility for doing something about them - seeking out and pursuing the individualised package that will help us in our dual or multiple recovery/-ies !!!

Thanks a million Zencat for starting this phenomenal thread (with links).

My nearest DRA meeting is in Iceland
Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Found
I may well drop back into this thread from time to time about my progress and use a phrase such as 'HP (as defined by DRA)', I hope that will be acceptable. I am on step 1, dipping into step 2, at the moment.
I'm good with that.

Originally Posted by Found
I strongly disapprove of the word 'disorder'. In my opinion it should always be replaced by 'illness' or 'condition'. The terms 'diagnosis' and 'recovery' are fine, in my opinion.
I do use the word "disorder" because I follow the American Psychological Association (APA) discussions about mental illness and "disorder" is used prominently by the APA.

Originally Posted by Zencat
Latter will be what I believe about powerlessness with regards to my mental illness.
I have no reservations that I'm powerless over the formation of my mental illness. I can do what I can to understand its causation and effects on me but I was powerless over its on-come. I very fortunate to be cognoscente enough to know that there are ways to manage my mental illness. That I am not powerless over seeking and practicing treatment. I may not be in control of my treatments results yet I still can involve myself in treatment and that process has helped me developed hopefulness. Having hope gives my emotional state a boost I liken to a higher power. Thus encouraging me to strive regardless of the results of treatment and still be encouraged enough to seek out my higher self. Fortunately the treatment has yielded results because of taking action. Be it cultivating hope or having developed skills to manage my mental illness, action is the key for me.

Here's some of my duel treatment action plan.
  • Mutual Self-Help Meetings
  • Groups at the Behavioral Health Department
  • Journal Writing
  • Mood Stabilizing/Elevating Medication
  • CBT/REBT Daily Practice
  • Meditation
  • Applying Zen Philosophy to Life
Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had looked up DRA in my state last year, and there is next to nothing for it. The only meetings are way up in the northeast corner of the state.

I look forward to hearing more about it on this thread!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

DRA Tradition 3

I know enough about myself that without interpreting and personalizing the steps, its most likely I would find the steps irrelevant in accordance to my fundamental beliefs. So I must congratulate DRA for having the foresight and wisdom to suggest that the steps can be worked around in ways that fit my personal needs for duel recovery. Its very rewarding to have my personal non-theist beliefs honored in my DRA group. To know that I can freely express myself in meetings without being fearful that what I say could somehow be used against me because I don't believe in God or supernatural stuff. I really do not like to use the word spiritual in any way that would describe my personal beliefs or lifestyle. When I think of higher powers, I only concern myself with secular meanings that could translate in to higher power concepts like Zen philosophy or humanism for example.

So far I'm experiencing calm, serenity, peaceful and amicable experiences with others and greater self-worth with my personalized duel treatment. I cant help but notice the deep enlivening psychical transformation that goes with working a comprehensive treatment program.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Recap of my DRA Step 1

I recognize that I am powerless and empowered at the same time with my duel disorder. I may not be able to control the on-come of cravings or urges and mental health symptoms. I can however control my what my response is going to be when I do have symptoms and urges. I can choose to do nothing and suffer the consequences of non-action or work a treatment program and seek help to get assistance from caring others.

DRA Step 2

In the DRA recommended book (free online DRA book of "The Twelve Steps and Dual Disorders") I am told that I can define my Higher Power as a Helping Power. I do believe in the helping power of people getting together to assist each other in recovery. I have experienced this first hand. Having felt the effects of positive experiences by being in treatment with others, encourages me to continue to believe in helping powers. I have always trusted the reality of my experiences, both good and bad, I'll continue to do so. Like one of my favorite authors said: "I don't have to have faith, I have experience." -Joseph Campbell.

Well that's the start of my 3rd step, more to come latter.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool Revisiting DRA Step 1: powerlessness

Personally I don't care for the concept of powerless only because it is used in AA. I'm not a big fan of the AA 12-step program, but I do like being in the fellowship of AA people. So for now on I'll replace 'powerless' with 'loss of control'. It means the same thing to me...so I'll go with that.

Loss of control is a good description of my duel disorder. For at some point early on in my addiction I did have some control. Well...more like resilience when I was younger and could rebound and effect damage control more effectively...or so I believed then. But as my addiction progresses and mental illness started to develop...I began losing my grip on things and myself.

I see my personalized duel-diagnosis treatment as a way to regain some manageability...regain some control. I think this is where I don't see eye to eye with AA. For I believe I would be turning over my control to a higher power or maybe something like that...yet as a non-theist Buddhist, there is nothing to turn it over to. My understanding is: I'm leaning what I have control over and what I don't...what I can change and what I cant and knowing the difference. And from my perspective and with training, there is a lot in my life that I'm empowered enough to bring about change...change for the betterment of all and myself with Buddhist principles as my guide.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How its working.

I don't have an unique type of alcoholism, I'm just like any other once hopeless drunk. In fact I have a higher potential for drug/alcohol addiction because I have a mood disorder. So besides the usual horrific symptom of active addiction, I have another set of symptoms from mental illness that make recovery more challenging.

I integrate both illness into a single treatment. I used psychiatric medications to get well enough so I could start to work on my duel illness. I use all the available resources that I can to manage my health. However it all boils down to me and how well I can translate recovery aids, tools, books, programs, meetings, groups, training and whatnot into effective mental/emotional/behavioral positive change.

When all is said and done I don't think there's any mystery as to what works for me. I'm developing a deep psychical change within my very being that can be best described as having a greater desire to get well than to stay sick. Because I practice duel illness treatment, daily, I get better all around health, real or imagined...however it goes...it feels good even when I feel down.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would very much like to do DRA, but I currently cannot drive to the location where the meeting is held, nor take a bus there. Zencat, have you come across any good books or workbooks on dual diagnosis/dual illnesses? I'm planning to go to AA this weekend to give it another shot but probably won't do the steps with a sponsor until I know where I'm going to be working/living for my first job out of college.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clay
Zencat, have you come across any good books or workbooks on dual diagnosis/dual illnesses?
The DRA recommended book (free online DRA book of "The Twelve Steps and Dual Disorders")

Or order the The Twelve Steps and Dual Disorders at Hazelden. Also there is a companion Workbook at Hazelden too.

I would very much like to do DRA, but I currently cannot drive to the location where the meeting is held, nor take a bus there.
DRA meetings are hard to find. Maybe call some local Behavioral Health Rehabs (there's a DRA meeting at my local rehab) or Behavioral Health Hospitals for info on DRA meetings.

I'm planning to go to AA this weekend to give it another shot but probably won't do the steps with a sponsor until I know where I'm going to be working/living for my first job out of college.
I attend AA and work the DRA steps. I would like to get a AA sponsor that understands why I use the DRA steps. Come to think of it, I may know someone.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
. Because I practice duel illness treatment, daily, I get better all around health, real or imagined...however it goes...it feels good even when I feel down.
I'd like to edit and say: it feels good to have a treatment plan to practice even when I feel down.

Ive been experiencing a good deal of anxiety lately. Well ever since SSDI sent me some paperwork as a part of keeping my eligibility active to receive government disability money. But being active in my duel treatment helps me cope with the stress. I let the anxiety arise without judging it. Then I look to see where is it coming from. It is coming from a place of fear or abandonment. Because those are two emotions that have some deep roots in my PTSD. then I see what I can do to feel safe. Like what beliefs do I need to change or what information I may need. Talking to my therapist or someone in recovery can help.

It just feels good to have a plan and practice in place to help me through the rough spots in life.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post, Zencat. I had never heard of DRA before, looked it up and found there is a meeting Saturdays at he local Alano Club. I think I will check it out.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

DRA - the next best thing since sliced toast

Here in Toronto, Canada we have 2 different DRA locations.

We discuss our psychiatric disorders (anxiety, depression, bi-polar, obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, etc., etc.) AS WELL AS the substance abuse which we use to SELF-MEDICATE the psychiatric disorder (in most cases, for most of us, ALCOHOL, but others use (or used) cocaine, prescription (and highly addictive) painkillers such as percocet and/or oxycotone, etc., etc.

We sit in a circle and cross-talk and share our experiences, and usually mention "how our last week has been" (we meet Thursdays from 7 - 8 pm).

I highly recommend it.

The group has a meeting room in a adjunct building to Credit Valley Hospital. There are doctors and psychiatrists on staff, to meet with patients, and lots of programs offered: 3 week day program, 6 week Coping Skills and Relapse Prevention course, 4 week Education course, etc.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks; deerwalk, Ninsuna and KellySad.

I went last Wednesday night to a DRA meeting and its so helpful to have a pace where I can share about my medication and addiction recovery at the same time.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

DRA Family

One of my friends in DRA, Linda, said last week that her friends in DRA are her real family - since her real family at home treat her like crap, and are sarcastic with her all the time.