Notices

Abilify and a sedative? Any thoughts?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hippy

Abilify and a sedative? Any thoughts?

I was complaining to my nurse today that I don't feel 'alive' in the way that I want to. I know it was irresponsible and I know I felt c**p a lot of the time when I came off my meds, but there were times I just felt so alive. Sometimes I even miss my anger. I do feel like I have had a bit of a chemical lobotomy. I think realising I hadn't washed for a whole week was a wake up call.

Anyway, she suggested Abilify instead of my Quetiapine. Apparently it is good for helping people to feel 'alive' but the down side is that it doesn't help with the sleeping, so a sedative such as Temazepam/Restoril/Normason would have to be taken.

Anyone any thoughts/experiences of either or both of these?

I think I am really looking maybe for a reduction in my valproate, but I am doing nothing until the new year and until I have researched.

Hippy

xx
Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I tried abilify and it was great for controlling my BP disorder but one of the side effects for me was the feeling of needing to crawl out of my skin as well as increased anxiety. I don't know a good way to describe the feeling except needing to crawl out of my skin. My doc took me off it since this is a side effect some people experience. My anxiety is better and I no longer am having that skin feeling. If it works for you without the added side effect it is a drug I would encourage most anyone to discuss with their doctor. Deplin has also worked well for me with no side effects I can see so far but it is geared more for depression than controlling BP disorder so I still have to take my Lamictal and cymbalta.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I took abilify once...but the doc that gave it to me said it was for withdrawals..apprently it isn't though? So i'm kind of clueless about it myself..
Old 12-20-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband takes abilify and remeron. the remeron knocks him out. its an antidepressant