Notices

Angry about the meds..

Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adore

Angry about the meds..

Anyone else get this way - feels like the f*ing meds aren't doing enough!

i still gotta cope with difficult feelings.

plus, now i've got insomnia even worse ($#@)

why can't the meds just be simple n' "fix" things!

thinking about quitting. don't know if they're really worth all the trouble, the hope, the expectations, plus there's the cost/the expense and side effects...?

anyone else, think about quitting them...?

hopeless in l.a.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I finally found a pill that is helping me. Only two weeks into it though. Anyway, I noticed that it isn't the magic that I was hoping for. I wish they were!

Im not thinking about quiting because I finally noticed something on them but it isn't much. I am hoping to up the dosage and get a bit more relief.

How long have you been taking your meds?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Adore,, Good to meet you

Meds do have side effects, and not so pleasant ones some times, and in my case, I have a terrible time trusting the doctors.. BUt,, I have really changed my opinion on meds and doctors, and I have decided that I am going to hang tough this time, and do what my doctor says, I am going to try as hard as I can to work with my doctor, because I know that I really do need the meds, and this is what in my best interest.. It's what I need. When I don't, and I go off the meds, and quit seeing my doctor, I am the one who suffers, well my family suffers as well. But I end up suffering, then I end up self medicating, and that's not good..

How long have you been on your meds? If it hasn't been long, they take time to work.. You may know that already..

I'm not sure what kind of feelings you are dealing with,, but these boards are a good way to get some junk off your chest, I know I have done that. Also, if you have a good friend, it's really is good for you to open up, and talk... There are also mental health groups out there, I know I belong to a bi-polar support group, and I also have belonged to a dual diagnosis support group, that is an excellent way to get suport too..

Just remember that we are here for you.. Get some of that stuff out.. If you'd like you can check out some of the other forums here at SR too.. Maybe you already have, but I thought I'd let you know..

Hang in there friend..
Prayers,
Becky
Old 03-14-2007, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been on meds for bipolar for 18 years. Every once in a while, I get pissed about having to take them and I stop. That NEVER works out well. I think we all have to face it; our brains don't work like other people's and I look at it like this now; if I were a diabetic I'd have to take insulin every day to survive; this is the same thing. Plus, side effects usually diminish after a while. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adore

thank you all so much - I appreciate all of you!

I'm obviously spiteful about having to take the meds. Mostly, I feel they are f*ing up with my sleep. I hate this!

Here are my reasons for not taking them:

- I'm scared that I'm gonna have to be on them for the rest of my freaking life! - FEAR

- I don't want to be dependent - EGO

- Really scared they aren't gonna help me! i.e., i'm a hopeless case...

- Plus, my inner child wants me to be STRONG and POWERFUL on my own! As I'm writing this, I can see how fantasy is taking over.

- Finally, I'm scared of taking a pill daily for 9 months - that's a lot of medicine to put in one's body...it freaks me a little. I need to do research on the long-term impact of Anti-Ds, do they stay in our system, and if they work, if you don't take them daily.

I've been on them for about 1.25 months, slowly increasing my dosage. So I'm in week 5 of cymbalta. I can see my thinking changing and getting better. I seem to see things better, and have more perspective. Plus I catch myself thinking more positively. So all these are very good things.

But depression is not going away. I still feel it. But I think I'm better at dealing with it and it's not debilitating me as much...

I wonder if I have to take it EVERY day??

I just know I hate the idea of taking meds.

I guess these are all things I need to discuss with the doctor. I'll call her and make an appointment...

Thank you so much! I'd like to share about the decision I make later...

I hope people understand if I choose something different, like not taking them.

What kinds of things happen when people stopped taking them...? xoxo
Old 03-15-2007, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Life!

For people with clinical depression, stopping the medication means relapse into the void. There is a serious risk of suicide.

For those with a short term situational depression, the timing of the quit could make the difference. If the situation has cleared up, or coping skills have increased sufficiently, one can be fine. Or not. Each individual and situation is different, and a message forum is not the place to try and diagnose the problem.

I'm glad you're talking to your doctor. Please keep in mind that medication is there to help. Your depressin is not "debilitating" you anymore. You are seeing things in a better light and are more positive. That's wonderful news!

While these positive things are happening, it's the time to work on increasing your coping skills. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is very helpful for people. Are you getting counseling? The most successful recipe is a combination of drug and talk therapy.

I'm wishing you well. I hope you don't do anything rash before talking to your doctor. Remember, all those good things you're feeling right now is because of the medication. Allow it to work until your coping ability is strong enough to allow you to deal effectively with life's difficulties.

Shalom!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I stopped taking my meds in January 2006. Attempted suicide in April. Direct correlation, I would say.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

also, you do have to take your meds every day for them to be effective. they "work" when there is a constant amount in your bloodstream, which is hard to achieve if you don't take them on a regular basis
you know what i am going through with the cymbalta...maybe it's not for you, though....have you tried anything else?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adore

Thank you all!!!

I went to my therapist today. She was awesome. She's on meds too, and she totally kicked my butt for not taking them daily and sticking with them...she convinced me to start taking them again.

So, I'm renewing my commitment. I came this far, so one month of taking them daily isn't going to hurt.

THANKS For the support!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Adore

I suffered and struggled with depression for many years until my last med change. On one hand I’m kinda disappointed that I had to endure so much for so long. I tried so many different approaches to achieving better mental health. On the other hand I'm glad I didn’t give up on treatment and meds, because life is completely different for the better now. The winning combo of meds for me is; Cymbalta, Stratera, Inderal don’t give up hope.
Zencat

Last edited by Zencat; 03-18-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: the world is round
Old 03-29-2007, 11:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Adore,

I agree it is sometimes hard to tell if they are worth taking but just stick with it- it takes a while for some kinds of antidepressants to work so you wont know unless you stay on them.
Another problem that I've experienced is when I feel a big change in well-being within a couple weeks of starting and then they seem to wear off and I go back to normal even after increasing dosage. This has happened with a few different ones.
But stick with it and see if they work. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mikiglen View Post
also, you do have to take your meds every day for them to be effective. they "work" when there is a constant amount in your bloodstream, which is hard to achieve if you don't take them on a regular basis...
Compliance is a HUGE factor in medication effectiveness. Medication is merely an adjunct for therapy. There is no 'magic pill', though there is medication to help make things more manageable. Once you get things a bit more manageable, THEN you can learn coping skills and etc....which can provide long term positive changes.

Just a word on self-tapering/medicating, etc.....don't do it. Meds management is challenging enough, and adding another factor can really effect your overall state. One of the most common problems for people is stopping/adjusting meds before the med levels in the blood can reach a steady state....which can often reduce some/all of the initial side effects.

Best of luck.

-t
Old 03-30-2007, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Magic Pill??

Yeah Im still looking for one too, reality is they dont exist and never will.

Watch the Velveteen Rabbit sometime. Like the tattered rocking horse says, sometimes it hurts(like hell) to be real.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
one of many

The meds seem to be both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because they help stabilize our condition. A curse because they take away our faith in the ability of ourselves to overcome our psychic condition. Just don't give up.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Adore

Thanks...

Originally Posted by skunkape View Post
The meds seem to be both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because they help stabilize our condition. A curse because they take away our faith in the ability of ourselves to overcome our psychic condition. Just don't give up.

That is soo true! that's exactly how it was feeling.

just wanted to report back, the meds are working. I feel it. been taking them faithfully after my doubts about a month ago. and they are working (thank goodness). i'm happy, happy, happy, i stuck it out but boy those first few weeks are a hurdle, aren't they?

love, hugs, and thanks to everybody here
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
soberinnyc

Thumbs up I can relate to your post.......

I've been dealing with depression in sobriety for 15 years and was frequently discouraged. Last year my depression was so bad I couldn't get out of bed.
My psychiarist sent me to a psychopharmacolist in New York who saved my life. Today I'm a happy, functioning person. I hope you can get to the right doctor too....
Old 04-07-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I have had to accept that I will never be able to live med free. Taking the pills are a drag but the symptoms are worse without them. Sleeping meds have saved my sanity, the newer types are not controlled substances. No one can think straight without some decent sleep. When I got my insomnia under control my depression eased up. Talk to your Doc. soon!! Good luck and I hope u get some ZZZZ's.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

haven't read the replys, but yes....constantly. But the days that I forget or whatever to take my meds...I realize how much they still are helping.

I also know it's time for me to do a med change...and get myself back onto a mood stabalizer, but i'm fighting it tooth and nail. i hate going thru the med game and it also scares me a great deal to even think about how bad I can feel before the next semi-right combo is found.