Spouses on Recovery

Old 04-04-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spouses on Recovery

Hi,

My husband is currently recovering from 2.5 months off suboxone. He was an opiod addict for 10+ years and switched to suboxone 3/4 years ago to get off the opioids. He recently decided to go off suboxone cold turkey 2.5 months ago. I'm beyond proud that he is going in the right direction but dealing with everything he is going through is so difficult and I am really looking for some support and was hoping there was some individuals looking for the same and maybe in a similar situation. Message me!
Old 04-04-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi aboaz0210 - welcome

You posted in our technical troubleshooting forum so I moved your thread here for more response.

I know its scary when someone gets off whatever they used to get clean and sober, some of us do change and change for good (I was a drinker)

I hope your husband has made a lifetime choice - I know you hope thats the case and I hope for you both that he proves that trust.

D
Old 04-05-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aboaz0210 View Post
Hi,

My husband is currently recovering from 2.5 months off suboxone. He was an opiod addict for 10+ years and switched to suboxone 3/4 years ago to get off the opioids. He recently decided to go off suboxone cold turkey 2.5 months ago. I'm beyond proud that he is going in the right direction but dealing with everything he is going through is so difficult and I am really looking for some support and was hoping there was some individuals looking for the same and maybe in a similar situation. Message me!
hi

im looking for a similar thread myself to reach out. My boyfriend is now 30 days sober from alcohol and cocaine, I haven’t seen him for the past 30 days and I’m struggling to understand what he’s going through as I don’t live with him he’s 4 hours away. We have been texting on and off as he said he wants space to find himself and doesn’t know how he feels but I feel as though he is hot and cold with me. He was in a great mood this Morning and said let’s catch up tonight. This is the second time he has said this and hasn’t called me. I’ve not spoke with him over the phone for 2 weeks now! What is it your experiencing maybe you could shed some light on what I can’t see that he’s going through?
Old 04-05-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi aboaz0210 and Harl13. Addict behaviour is unpredictable, recovering addicts are also unpredictable.

Generally, addicts, whether it's alcohol or other drugs, use drugs as a coping mechanism. Once they quit the thing they used to cope with anything negative (or positive!) in life is just - gone.

Imagine if someone took away the tools you use to cope.

There is that, withdrawal (which can take some time, even after initial withdrawal, as the body adjusts). They can be moody, hot and cold, angry, sullen etc etc, this is not unexpected.

There are a lot of stickies at the top of this forum as well as at the top of the Friends and Family of alcoholics forum (addiction is addiction), these may be helpful:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...c-reading.html (Classic Reading)

You may also find the threads in the F&F of alcoholics forum relatable too:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
Old 04-08-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harl13 View Post

hi

im looking for a similar thread myself to reach out. My boyfriend is now 30 days sober from alcohol and cocaine, I haven’t seen him for the past 30 days and I’m struggling to understand what he’s going through as I don’t live with him he’s 4 hours away. We have been texting on and off as he said he wants space to find himself and doesn’t know how he feels but I feel as though he is hot and cold with me. He was in a great mood this Morning and said let’s catch up tonight. This is the second time he has said this and hasn’t called me. I’ve not spoke with him over the phone for 2 weeks now! What is it your experiencing maybe you could shed some light on what I can’t see that he’s going through?

Hi Harl13,

I'm experiencing similar situations you are. Hot/Cold with me, very short tempered, and sometimes AMAZING!!! It's so difficult to deal with the emotions and I know he is going through something I will never understand but its very very hard. I have been told that I need to focus on myself during this time....take time for myself etc. I had been thinking about working out again/running to keep my mind off things. Maybe taking some time for yourself and not stressing to much about whats going on with him will help. I am going to try that and hope my thoughts don't get into my head. I hope everything works out for you and please if you need anyone to talk to I am more than willing to listen
Old 04-08-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi
Old 04-08-2020, 11:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aboaz0210 View Post
Hi Harl13,

I'm experiencing similar situations you are. Hot/Cold with me, very short tempered, and sometimes AMAZING!!! It's so difficult to deal with the emotions and I know he is going through something I will never understand but its very very hard. I have been told that I need to focus on myself during this time....take time for myself etc. I had been thinking about working out again/running to keep my mind off things. Maybe taking some time for yourself and not stressing to much about whats going on with him will help. I am going to try that and hope my thoughts don't get into my head. I hope everything works out for you and please if you need anyone to talk to I am more than willing to listen

thank you both for your suggestions, yes I agree I’ve started to work on my myself and I am much better now than I was three weeks ago (haven’t seen him for nearly 5 weeks now in which he’s been sober and it’s been lockdown!) after I dropped weight I was ill I was stressed but now I’m running everyday I’m painting my garden I’m seeing close family. It really does help. He is always in my head though I wake up and think about him every morning waiting for that day he texts. Living 4 hours away is making it easier for him to do his thing without therapy but I guess it’s what he needs right now for recovery. I hope it works out for you too! You sound like a lovely person. Keep me updated with your progress I’d like to hear it xx