Flare Up Periods

Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Gotta love the addict brain!!

I have to laugh at my husband's thinking. He is powerless over his addiction so he can't stop using.

Uhmmmm!! Ok.....
Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

oh LMN, there IS a time in addiction where NOT using seems utterly impossible. I remember going three whole days...and wanting to use so bad I sat in the bathroom in tears with my fingers literally clawing into the wall to keep from screaming. I didn't want to be he one that said Make The Call - hank was trying not to use as well and I didn't want to be he one to cave. I instead prayed that HE would and then i'd be absolved.

god those were miserable days.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

While I do believe that most addicts are powerless over their drug use, meaning 1 is too many and a 1000 will never be enough. And they are powerless over their disease, whether they have it or not......i believe we all have power of our choices.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

But realizing we have the power is the hardest part.

How to convince someone they can do it?? I don't know.

I don't think it's up to anyone to convince anyone else... but being that person... making better choices serves as a good example.

That's probably why addicts are so effective with other addicts... because if THEY can do it... so can the other person. I think that's the rationale.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That's probably why addicts are so effective with other addicts... because if THEY can do it... so can the other person. I think that's the rationale.

ding ding ding! we have a winner folks! from the NA IP Who, What, How, and Why
Reprinted from the White Booklet, Narcotics Anonymous

We feel that our approach to the disease of addiction is completely realistic, for the
therapeutic value of one addict helping another is without parallel. We feel that our way is
practical, for one addict can best understand and help another addict. We believe that the
sooner we face our problems within our society, in everyday living, just that much faster do we
become acceptable, responsible, and productive members of that society.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

So that's what happened to me yesterday! I thought I had lost my mind. Thank God I read this thread. Now, how do I explain it to my boyfriend. I think maybe I should just let him read it but, I'm afraid he will think I am going to have these for too long and he will ask me to leave him. I don't know what to say to him. I was so crazy about something so minor and I just went off releasing so much pent up emotions. I was saying stuff and could not stop. I feel terrible now. I don't know if this was the first time I had this explosion but, I can tell you it is the first time I realized what was happening.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

this sounds all great and wonderful but the 12 step only works for 5% or maybe as high as 10% of people who try.
im reading more people recover on their own. and the 12 step says yyou have to be in it for life beause being sober dependz on being in program and making it your life focus. i dont buy that, if it teaches skills then you would become independent and could stop going and stop being active. i cant raise my son, or wont raise him in a aa lifestyle with dad being that involved with meetings sponsors guy outings phone calls day and night for 5 or 10 or 30 years. its a lifestyle more than recovery. its great for those people who need that or enjoy it so im not saying its.not.good for those it works for of course.

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post

ding ding ding! we have a winner folks! from the NA IP Who, What, How, and Why
Reprinted from the White Booklet, Narcotics Anonymous

We feel that our approach to the disease of addiction is completely realistic, for the
therapeutic value of one addict helping another is without parallel. We feel that our way is
practical, for one addict can best understand and help another addict. We believe that the
sooner we face our problems within our society, in everyday living, just that much faster do we
become acceptable, responsible, and productive members of that society.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I guess time will tell, cb. I can only speak from my own experience, which does involve 12 step programs, and I have seen WAY more than 5 or 10% recover and go on to live happy productive lives and STILL attend meetings and help other addicts who still suffer. that is the ES&H that I have to share...addicts helping other addicts stay clean.

addiction doesn't go away. EVER. it can be put into remission, but it can always roar back to life. whatever recovery method someone chooses they must remain vigilant....the beast never sleeps. not in two months, two years, two decades. AA/NA are but one type of method.....there are many...but one drink, one pill, one hit can destroy years of effort.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

^^^
That!

i cant raise my son, or wont raise him in a aa lifestyle with dad being that involved with meetings sponsors guy outings phone calls day and night for 5 or 10 or 30 years.
That would still beat raising your son with a junkie dad.
Anyway, you have absolutely no control on how, of and when your husband will recover, what he chose to do and if he chose to do it. Ultimately it is his addiction and his recovery not yours.