Flare Up Periods

Old 04-02-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Flare Up Periods

I came across this information way back when i was trying to get off zee crack...it really made sense and let me know that early recovery was indeed a bumpy ride! I thought it might be helpful for those who are watching a loved one struggle...this is NOT for the purpose of EXCUSING relapses or bad behavior...but it does give some really good insight into the physiology of it all and why some seem to relapse with consistency after a seemingly set number of days.

FLARE UP PERIODS

The term "flare up periods" or "flare ups" refer to definite time periods during which the recovering alcoholic/addict experiences an increased amount of tension and anxiety. Should he return to the use of alcohol or drugs, it will most likely be during one of these flare up periods. It is important, therefore, that the recovering alcoholic/addict, his family, his friends, his employer and anyone else who may play an important role during these periods become aware of how to recognize the onset of a flare up period and what to do when one occurs.

Flare ups occur at predictable intervals: five to six days, four to five weeks, eight to ten weeks, thirteen weeks, six months, nine months, and eleven to thirteen months after the last use of alcohol/drugs.

Factors in recognizing the onset of a flare up include feelings of irritability, moodiness, boredom, restlessness and difficulty in eating and sleeping. These emotional states grow in intensity and come to a peak which lasts up to three days. During these three days, the recovering alcoholic/ addict may be extremely depressed and irritable. He may feel all is hopeless, that nothing can go right and display outbursts of anger for almost no reason or because of something which would ordinarily be considered insignificant. There are also some physical signs indicating that he is approaching a danger zone. He may develop aches and pains, he may perspire more than ordinary and he may have headaches.There also may be behavior changes. These changes are sometimes so slight that they would be passed off without undue attention unless one is watching for them. Uncharacteristic juvenile behavior, unreasonable giggling and joy, expressions of weariness, restlessness or boredom, and a sudden concern about his health, job, family, loneliness, etc. are examples of such behavior changes.

WHAT TO DO

The first step in dealing with a flare up is to expect them and watch for the signs.
When you suspect that you are entering a flare up period, seek help from someone who will understand what you are going through, your counselor or therapist, your spouse, a fellow group member, AA, CA or a good friend (who won’t offer you a drink or drug) are possible sources of help. Sometimes just calling someone to talk to , going for a drive or working on a hobby will help reduce the tension of a flare up. In any case, it is best to keep busy.

Realize that the storm will pass. Flare ups usually last from one to three days. After it passes, things will return to normal again.
DO NOT DRINK! DO NOT USE DRUGS! One drink or drug will set off a chain reaction and you’ll find yourself completely loaded and right back where you started!
given to me by a counselor long ago -Dan

Hospitals have studied druggies/alkies that were brought in with brain damage severe enough to induce coma. The patients had to be fed through a tube. While they were hooked up to the IV's they took daily blood samples. A curious pattern started to emerge when they compared the tests for several hundred people who had stopped drinking/drugging when they were admitted to the hospitals. (comas do that ya know... help you stop using that is...)

They found that the level of endorphines (pleasure receptors) dropped to zero after 4-7 days. Then after about 24-72 hours the endorphines came back AT A HIGHER LEVEL than they had been. Then at about 30 days the levels dropped to zero again. But after another 24-72 hours they came back, again at a higher level! This phenomenon repeats itself at a suspiciously familiar interval...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ normal endorphine level
~~++++++++++++++++ users level -- drugs/alcohol (+) provide the balance
~~ 1st week sober (notice the lack of drug support)

FLARE UP (24-72 hours each time)
~~~~ after 1st flare up (4-7 days)
~~~~~~ after 30 day's flare up
~~~~~~~~ after 60 day's flare up
~~~~~~~~~~ after 90 day's flare up
~~~~~~~~~~~~ after 6 month's flare up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ after 9 month's flare up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ after a year's flare up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ normal level reached after 1 1/2 years or more.

Notice how the Flare-ups occur in the same time periods as we give chips? Makes one wonder doesn't it?

I imagine you are asking yourself... So?
So - if you relapse you start back at the beginning of the chart because your body stopped making endorphines when the drugs/alcohol started supplying them. That is one of the reasons people don't want to come back - they don't feel all right. Another reason is ego. Hang in there and you WILL feel better.

-from butt-trusted.org/flare-up.html
Old 04-02-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

I am left wondering though......a friend of mine, a RA, and long time program person told me that 18 months key chain is the least picked up tag in the program . I wonder why that is? Complacency?? (Assuming that my friend's information is correct)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i never SAW an 18 month key chain or coin. just yearly coins.

ya know it's funny....altho i'm most certainly NOT in a flare up period just this morning i was blowing my nose and did that nostril grab double sniff you do sometimes?? and whammo, i was struck with the thought of cocaine as that was an oft use nose clearing sniff manuever. now mind you this was at about 6:15 AM, hank had just left for work and i was still on my 2nd cup of coffee. and along came the thought/voice in my head, like one of those ring girls holding up the number of the next round?? GEE, A LINE OR TWO WOULD SURE BE FUN. and for about five or so seconds i said yeah it would! no, WAIT a minute. no, no and no.

my point is, it can happen that fast. while still in your pj's, without one single external trigger.....unless you count kleenex.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok....with the title of the thread.....I was thinking a completely different kind of period. If you get my drift. And guys it's ok to close your eyes, cover your ears, and say lalalalalalalalalala. But....lol.....that's what I thought you were going to write about. lol

This does make sense and correlates to the information I have heard from the rehab I volunteer at. The addicts/alcoholics often express the desire to leave at those intervals. I would add that I think it's extremely important for the loved one to be aware so that they don't give in to the plea of "I want to come home". Perhaps give it a few days and the tune may change!

Thanks for some great information. I love hearing from you Anvilhead because you provide a perspective that many here do not have! And you often make me chuckle in the process.....because your delivery always has a zinger or two!

hugs
ke
Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i never SAW an 18 month key chain or coin. just yearly coins.

ya know it's funny....altho i'm most certainly NOT in a flare up period just this morning i was blowing my nose and did that nostril grab double sniff you do sometimes?? and whammo, i was struck with the thought of cocaine as that was an oft use nose clearing sniff manuever. now mind you this was at about 6:15 AM, hank had just left for work and i was still on my 2nd cup of coffee. and along came the thought/voice in my head, like one of those ring girls holding up the number of the next round?? GEE, A LINE OR TWO WOULD SURE BE FUN. and for about five or so seconds i said yeah it would! no, WAIT a minute. no, no and no.

my point is, it can happen that fast. while still in your pj's, without one single external trigger.....unless you count kleenex.
I looked it up, and they do have 18 months. Maybe it just an area thing!

Glad you put that thought out of your head and quickly!! Nothing is fun about drugs!! They are the thieves of our souls!!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi AnvilH!

Thanks for sharing this. I KNEW something is up with my RAH. He is in the 11-13 mo range. Of course we can't talk about it like a partnership. He is in denial. I am triggering - like a codie sad to say. But I am lasting a little longer, went to Al Anon today and tonight I have counseling. Hopefully he'll wind down and make it.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it's a sticky wicket...some addicts might USE this information to say, well SEE, i couldn't HELP it, i was in a flare up period and they happen!!! which is BS but so is every other excuse to use.

in my case i found it very helpful to KNOW ahead of time that there were going to be times i was feeling strong and steady and other times crying like a baby for jonesin' so bad. but IF i would just hold on to my @ss with both hands, those periods would fizzle out all on their own. and remember to just NOT use, NO MATTER WHAT.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Do antidepressants help??
Old 04-02-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks. It helps to know that this is probably what he's going through. 3 months almost to the day! I'm glad if/when he gets through its smooth somewhat sailing until the 6 month mark. I made it clear 2 days ago I wasn't gonna let him come home to use and he said..." Well, I'm going to stay 6 months and no longer" ... My thinking is that the center and me can convince him to stay. But, I'm not jumping 3 months ahead. Day by day. And, I may have been more emotional as TOM hit today... Grrrrrr at least I'm not pregnant
Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And, I may have been more emotional as TOM hit today... Grrrrrr at least I'm not pregnant
See....it wasn't just me that took it there.......

but IF i would just hold on to my @ss with both hands,
Thinking in pictures.......funny as heck.

love it....
Old 04-02-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i dunno but see i'm old school and i don't believe in taking drugs to get you off of drugs...how on earth would you know if you are REALLY depressed if you are coming off alcohol and cocaine? or whatever. nope, this is where you put your big boy/girl panties on and SUCK IT UP. in my humble opinion of course....
Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

From what I have seen with my son and other recovering (and some relapsing) addicts I have know, this all makes so much sense. I have seen them absolutely fine...then not so fine but hanging on...and then fine again. Those that did not hang on truly did go back to square one.

Good info, Anvil. And funny but no so funny how a trigger can come on that fast. Now gimme those tissues.

Hugs
Old 04-02-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

addiction is a series of misguided YES's - so, in recovery, it's going to take a helluva lotta NO's to compensate. every time we say YES we feed the addiction, every time we say NO we starve it. at first, the beast gets REALLY hungry and gets louder, meaner, sneakier. but every NO gives us strength.

same with anything I imagine. addiction HATES no. addicts HATE no. instant gratification still takes too long. LOL

recovery, from whatever, IS a daily reprieve, dependent upon our spiritual condition. do we let our spirit LIVE and THRIVE, or do we keep killing it, one hit, one drink, one YES at a time?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Can they have flare ups after 18 months?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
Can they have flare ups after 18 months?
Not sure if it is flare ups or what but I relapsed in my 5th year and I have noticed quite a few people who did too, seems to be a dangerous year for some reason.
Thanks so much for the info Anvilhead, I had no idea about the flare ups but anyway, even if I got them I am going through menopause and it sounds very similar.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This sound like P.A.W.S - Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms. At least this is what my husbands rehab called it. There can be a whole bunch of symptoms related to it, varies on the drugs involved. As I understand it some people have mild cases, others severe and it can last from months to years. Planning for it fell under my husbands plans for Relapse Prevention. They said people are at higher risk for relapse during this time.

You can google it but heres one explanation:

After the physical acute withdrawal symptoms, a person goes head-to-head with post acute withdrawal symptoms (PAWS). We will explore what this is, why it’s the longest and the hardest part of drug and alcohol recovery, and how to deal with it.

What is post acute withdrawal?

Post acute withdrawal is the stage of recovery where you have less physical symptoms and more emotional and psychological withdrawal symptoms.

These symptoms occur because, as your brain’s chemistry starts to return to normal, the chemicals are fluctuating while they try to find a new equilibrium.
Symptoms of post acute withdrawal

While the acute withdrawal stage of recovery is different for everyone depending on the drug they are recovering from, most people experience similar post acute withdrawal symptoms.

Post acute withdrawal symptoms:

•Mood swings
•Anxiety
•Irritability
•Tiredness
•Variable energy
•Low enthusiasm
•Variable concentration
•Disturbed sleep

Why post-acute withdrawal symptoms are the hardest part of recovery

Recovery is a stressful challenge. Unfortunately, stress is a major trigger for drug and alcohol relapse.
PAWS makes it hard to stay clean because:

Symptoms change sporadically - How they change depends on how far along you are in recovery. They change minute by minute and hour by hour in the start, so it feels like a horrible roller coaster. Later in recovery, they will disappear for weeks and months at a time. But they can randomly show up again and hit you harder than ever. So keep your guard up.

•There is no trigger for most post-acute withdrawal episodes - Some days you will wake up and be irritable and lacking energy for apparently no reason. These episodes can last a few days as well.

•Recovery time is long and tiresome - Post-acute withdrawal symptoms can last up to two years. This often catches people off guard when they have long stretches of feeling good, followed up by sudden symptoms. This is very important to keep in mind. If you think your symptoms will only last a few months, you will get your hopes up only to be disappointed and inclined to relapse. Be patient and take it one day at a time.

How to deal with PAWS

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), “Research shows that combining addiction treatment medications with behavioral therapy is the best way to ensure success for most patients.”

While addiction treatment medications help deal with acute withdrawal symptoms, behavioral therapy helps you take control over your life when you have PAWS.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think it's especially hard for men/women who are so use to burrying their emotions.. that they aren't even sure what they are thinking.
I still have times like these... and it's been 4+ years... and I had been using food to supress some of my feelings. Now that I have quit that - i'm replacing it with exercise.
It really is a personal effort to battle these beasts we lit up with drugs. Not fun.
However, the kids might think it's fun to go to the park while I walk around the track with just my thoughts keeping me company. I don't need music... as i'm pretty good at talking to myself.... and it helps think things out. Weird.. I know!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i dunno but see i'm old school and i don't believe in taking drugs to get you off of drugs...how on earth would you know if you are REALLY depressed if you are coming off alcohol and cocaine? or whatever. nope, this is where you put your big boy/girl panties on and SUCK IT UP. in my humble opinion of course....
Yea, a pill to fix a pill seems like oxymoron
Old 04-03-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

Hey AnvilheadII - I have to thank you as you are currently my addiction education guru!!! Getting more informed on addiction has really helped me with acceptance of RAS's struggles. An added personal benefit is I am a grateful recovering alcoholic and find a drug is a drug is a drug so the information is helpful to us both. And your honest, down to earth sharing is truly appreciated.

Yet another informative post from SR which is being added to my personal addiction library at home. My son and I were discussing the phenomena of which you speak and he made me laugh. In his IOP they called this PMS!!! Pre Medallion Syndrome. Really funny to me considering a few of the ha ha moments in the thread!

What RAS did not know was the whole coma research part which I think brought it to a deeper understanding - much of it was new to him actually. I think in early recovery he was bombarded with so much that it maybe takes having clean time to process the information? I am really enjoying some of the discussions him and I have gotten into from my time on SR. It is a way healthier communication than we have ever had in this arena of addiction.

Recovery really does look like recovery, for both of us.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

no gurus here! I've actually spent the past few months trying to track that article down! I love the PMS tag! it's amazing how the addict brain works...well, since I've done SO well NOT using I think I shall REWARD myself by???? USING. brilliant!