Drug of Choice- Signs?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you all have so much info to share as a result of your experiences...but so grateful to have a place I could ask this question and for your sharing. Please don't yell at me (I know you won't), but I keep rereading these posts to remind myself that X's behavior and symptoms are REAL. It's so easy to believe the lies and question my instincts. It's even easier with time and distance. And when people tell me...do you really KNOW anything beyond "just pills"? As if that's not a problem in itself and I could be making too much of it. Argh.

I find the sugar and the crying very interesting. They were SO prevalent in my house, but I don't see either of them anywhere online when searching for signs of use. I understand the science behind the sugar. Not the crying...

Found a pic from when he was at least 6 months in to his new drug...no change in teeth, though profound acne (and black hairy tongue!).

And now I should stop hunting. I know it doesn't matter, beyond my fear of false accusation...which I think I've convinced myself wouldn't be the case. I don't want to make this an obsession...but need a little reassurance sometimes. I'm dealing with my kids' lives.

And your stories help!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My husband has definitely went for the sugar while trying not to use. It frustrates him as he has gained about 30 lbs I would say.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I understand the sugar. During a recent stressful time, I felt an immediate easing in stress when I indulged. That told me I need to be very careful with sugar, because it probably satisfies the same receptors that addicts are satisfying.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dr. David Reuben, author of Everything you always wanted to know about nutrition says,

“White refined sugar-is not a food. It is a pure chemical extracted from plant sources, purer in fact than cocaine, which it resembles in many ways. Its true name is sucrose and its chemical formula is C12H22O11.The chemical formula for cocaine is C17H21NO4, .......For all practical purposes, the difference is that sugar is missing the “N”, or nitrogen atom.”

If we look at the definition of a drug "any absorbable substance that changes or enhances any physical or psychological function in the body"
So when you consume sugar, how do you feel? do you feel a boost of energy? Do you feel hyperactive? Does it change your mood? But this is not evident enough to say sugar is a drug, what about if you are addicted to it? Would that resemble a drug more? Try and go a week without sugar; remember sugar is in the majority of processed foods from cheese spreads to your Bolognese sauce. If you have patterns of compulsion where you crave something sweet, and have no control for your urges and you will stop at nothing to get your next fix, then you may be dependent, the trouble is sugar is everywhere and very available, which means getting your next fix is too easy and the fact you probably have a stash of goodies in your cupboard, this makes it nearly impossible to determine you are addicted because you always have a constant supply, only when you dismiss access or you try to quit sugar you notice you NEED IT.

Supposedly sugar is one atom away from cocaine, sugar comes from sugar cane or beet, its sugar juices are chemically extracted, separated and processed to the point that all nutritional value are stripped, which means sugar becomes purified and turns into sucrose or C12H22011. Cocaine is processed the same way as sugar except its from the coca plant, which is not a drug in its whole form and has been used for thousand of years by the indigenous people of the Andes for health benefits, only after it has been stripped of all nutritional value and altered by man the coca plant becomes cocaine or C17H21NO4. As we can see that sugar is only missing the nitrate atom (N) the other numbers and letters just determine how many carbon bonds (C) and hydrogen bonds (H) there are.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My cousin eats sugar like a fiend when she's on heroin. Like constantly downing Pixie Stix and such, tons of candy, and not even the chocolate stuff, mostly the straight sugar kinds. The first time I saw it was before I even knew about the heroin, I didn't know that was a side effect, it was really a spectacle.

I remember being miffed because she managed to stay so slender even though she was sugar-loading like a beast. How silly.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
My wagon's in the mud.

Can you request the Court do a hair strand test.

It shows months back, no cheating that one.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think if it's your kids lives here, you need to just say that there is severe suspicion of drug use and that you want him tested, then volunteer for a test yourself. The courts should do it for children. My friend just went through a custody battle and the courts drug tested both without either of them having history of drug use- it was just protocol.

I think if your gut tells you he was and is using then I don't think it matters what he is using. It sounds more like It could be just pills, but if he has a lot in his system that he's not prescribed then it should be a problem for the court. I would try to pull all the stops out if your kids are in danger to be alone with him.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have done a lot of Research on Meth bc I too had thought my AH was using it and from what I read after hours and days of looking at forums and pics it does sound like Meth But Adderal will also give you the same signs . The signs of Oxy use that I see which i never know if its Sniffing or orally (sad that i think that way) aRE :
Extreme dry mouth and yes always grabbing waters 2 bottles
mood swings
Short temper
twitching at night
small pupils eyes very hazy
weird rummaging through his things and car all four doors open doing nothing is a new one?!
talking like crazy '
sores on face which is also the Meth so that one is confusing
Picking is one too with tweezers !! and also meth users too
Bending down to pick up something while talking or walking ?!
Walking with a bounce which i call bopping around
And Singing to himself
Cursing much more and sarcasm a lot of it

Hope it helps Keep in mind Adderal too it stays in the system longer and will ring a drug test for Amphetamines .. Been there sadly enough
Old 04-10-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

All these ring so many bells.......I have nothing to add!

(which has never stopped me before from adding something
of the wall, off topic, or damn near off planet!)

..........but today-----you all get a break.