Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Addict brother - domestic violence and suicide threats. No help from cops

Addict brother - domestic violence and suicide threats. No help from cops

Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words. It's really hard because I feel like I'm handling this on my own. I'm exhausted. My mom isn't that helpful due to her limited English. I've been doing all the talking, making all the phone calls (to hospital, 911, Social Worker, resources, referrals, researching, etc), and all the driving. I wake up early now an hour earlier than usual since his hospitalization started this month and lost 10 pounds within 2 weeks. However, I'm eating a little better now.

Today I visited my brother and he remained reluctant to agree to go to rehab and stressed that my mom and I are "forcing him to go." We both told him it is beneficial to him and his health long-term. By the end of our visit, he said he'll go and ask me if I could get him a PS4 once he completes the rehab. I tell him "YOU SHOW ME YOUR 30 DAY COMMITMENT IN REHAB AND I WILL GET YOU A PLAYSTATION 4" in a firm tone. Now I gotta think of transportation. I don't wanna give him a ride to rehab in case he changes his mind :\

I hope this 4th hospitalization within 30 day timeframe gives my brother some perspective (i know he doesn't like to be hospitalized) and get him to realize how serious it is he keeps tabs of his medication and to be drug-free.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is a link that might help you find some help.

Crisis Hotlines & Hospitals - NAMI Westside Los Angeles

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hmmm...promising big gifts to bribe someone is not the way to get them to rehab. And saying 30 days means 30 days, even if the place says 90 days. You sound exhausted. You sound spent of all of this. Please please take care of yourself in all of this. I know it is hard but if you do not remain firm on your boundaries you are going to be right back where you started.

Tight Hugs. I am so sorry.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide an update. After he got discharged on March 28, he stopped taking one of the 2 antipsychotic meds because it gave him terrible side effects giving him leg cramps, his behavior had a shift of change 2 days later. He became moody and psychotic, talking to the TV, talking to himself. Long story short, he got admitted again last Sunday because he couldn't sleep and was down into a more psychotic state. He told my mom he "will die if he doesn't take another walk outside to see the green light" WTH. I was able to trick him that I was taking him to a restaurant...he had no idea he was going to an ER even though he cooperated taking the vitals and blood tests. When the ER gave him different antipsych med, he became more alert (like he woke up), got agitated why he is at the hospital and was put on hold. Now he's home after being in the hospital for 5 days. This time he is on a different antipsychotic meds and his mental state improved.

Last night I discussed with him about why he got hospitalization 5 times. He said he doesn't remember first half of March. He doesn't remember his first psychotic episode where he sent weird text, blast loud music for 5 hours in the late AM, shouting at the window and being half naked in front at his friend's house. He doesn't remember staying at a psych hospital for 6 days for the first time and me visiting him. He remembers talking to the TV and thinking there was a camera and said "wow...why did I do that? That's so strange. Am I crazy?" I can't believe his psychosis was so severe that created a blackout in his mind. Today, he saw his friends for the first time in over a month and they told him about his odd behavior and the weird text they've received from him last month. My brother finally accepts that he has a mental illness.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

needadvice, him accepting he has a mental illness is a big step. My husband takes an anti-pychotic and without it he will drink alcohol regardless of consequences. Your brother is probably getting tired of being hospitilized and is willing to take the medication to stay out of there.