Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

Is it Okay to Visit My XABF (Who used Cocaine) while hes in jail??

Is it Okay to Visit My XABF (Who used Cocaine) while hes in jail??

Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

well he took out the irate behavior on me, he kinda yelled at his son. and i could tell he wanted to pick a fight with me, so i just went to my room and started packing
Old 01-23-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

ok, i guess my point is, at the time when you were PRESENT his using around his children didn't bother you enough to DO anything or otherwise interfere...so why NOW is it an ISSUE? or is it just a thing.....to hold on to?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i dont know, i guess it did bother me, but at the same time i wasnt sure what to do. my plan was to leave the environment completely and then make a decision. now that i think about it maybe getting involved would just start unnecessary drama
Old 01-23-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I guess I have mixed feelings about this. I would say leave it alone, but someone has to advocate for the children and sometimes it is an unlikely person. If I were you I would write a letter to the child's mother letting her know he is using. This will likely pi$$ him off big time, but tough. Children are #1 above his feelings, yours, anyone elses.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thats what i keep thinking but then i remember he told me he used a long time ago, so im thinking maybe she knows that, they were together for over 10 years. and i wonder if she doesnt want to say anything because she could lose child support that comes from him
Old 01-23-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I agree someone has to advocate for the kids. What is your relationship like with his ex? I’m guessing she is well aware he’s an addict but it’s hard to understand where she stands in all of this. Does she knows he’s using again? Does she even care? Is dropping her kids off a break she needs that badly. Is she an addict?

I also agree with anvilheadII - it didn’t seem to bother you about the kids when you were with him? Didn’t see any posts about that until today. And now that you think about it maybe you don’t want to really get involved.

Hummmm

Do you feel in your heart that the children are in danger if left alone in his care? Do you feel the ex would understand your position now – one that could be, you are no longer in this relationship due to the fact he is using again and since you are no longer present to help with the children while in his care, you worry about them alone with him while he is under the influence.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

im not sure, i mean ive never met the woman before. and maybe i should leave it alone, hes going to jail in a few weeks and neither of us will be dealing with him... atleast for a few months
Old 01-23-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Catlady,
This may be the pefect time to leave things alone. What they do with their children is their business.
When my son was having his way I warned him that I would not visit him in jail. He of course just shrugged it off. Then his DUI got him sent to jail for 90 days, and I did not visit once. He didn't need visitors to keep him warm or fed, the county did that. He was there because he had no regard for consequences.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Don't you like having a peaceful, drama and abuse free life?
If you miss the chaos, abuse and craziness then definitely go visit him (which is basically a way to rekindle things between you two.)

Ps: having a "good faithful" woman visit him in jail when he is down and out is NOT going to change him and make him live up to his potential with the "happily ever after: ending for you two.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

how did your addicts treat you after no contact while they were in jail?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You know, she will know he is in jail. If it were my child and his or her father were in jail I would be doing some serious checking to see what is going on when my child was there with him. If she is too concerned she could always contact you.

If you feel the child is in a dangerous situation you could always tip off CPS in the future if needed, you can do so anonymously and then leave it alone.

Good Luck in moving on!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

How are you "hoping" he will treat you after detoxing in jail and not having you around for a while?

Are you having fantasy dreams of him needing you, wanting you back in his life?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

yes and no, like in my best fantasy/dreams ya we would get back together but i know what the reality is. my mind is telling me i cant trust him especially after hes been in jail. and theres a lot that i would need from him and i dont think he would follow through. especially since he would be thrown back into the environment where he had been using and can easily contact those people
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post

I don't think that a person who has treated you in that way deserves visits in jail.
I agree with the above
ones in jail besides visits also enjoy getting mail
maybe you wish to send him a letter every once in a while ?

only you can make this decision

Mountainman
Old 01-23-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by catlady14 View Post
So this might be a little strange, but my XABF literally had no friend most of them died or lived in other states or had families and he isnt super close to his family, his parents live across the country, so while living with him it often felt like i was the only true friend or "family" he had. Well within the next few weeks, he'll be going to jail and part of me wonders whether I should visit him on his birthday or even at all? But then I think about the fact that he was mean and said hurtful things while using, and i know hes still using, but i dont know. I recently left him because he kicked me out without warning, but i still have very strong feelings for him right now... any advice?
Use your head and decide what's best for you.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

ya i was think cards/letters might be nice. but if this is something they enjoy... am i rewarding him for being a jerk?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

im trying to use my head, but my heart is getting in the way, and ive never dealt with anything like this.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

theres a lot that i would need from him
Well here's the thing with that - he needs so much himself he's in no position what's so ever any time soon to give a thing to anyone else.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

That makes sense and it could be that im expecting more of him than he can offer. Especial if he decides he wants to get sober.