Now it's my daughter...again

Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Keep the lines of communication open and try to nudge them in the right direction, whenever possible.

Pravchaw- good advice. This is what my husband and I are trying to do with our son.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Keep the lines of communication open and try to nudge them in the right direction, whenever possible.

Good advice Pravchaw! That's what my husband and I are trying to do with our son.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree 100% Pravchaw.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Tax...my commiserations for all the pain your family is going through.

I'm amazed at how much some parents will take from their children before they say enough is enough. I think society sets the scene that a parent should always be there for their child. But the operative word is child.

Your daughter is not a child, she's making life choices as an adult and should be seeing the consequences. Allowing this drama to continue in your house is not helping her or you.

Neferkamichawl puts it all much more eloquently than me, but it's there. I read from his post no matter how much respect he had for his mother not to bring that into his mothers house, he still went down a certain path.

You have a life to live. Don't make this life of drama be YOUR drug of choice.

Hugs.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi, Txhelp. I always read posts like yours with a lot of interest as I have a similar problem. I have just posted an update on my own daughter. I am feeling guilt over making my daughter leave again so am particularly interested in situations where the addict is living in the family home. I can't seem to manage it and don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad one. Either way, I empathize with you immensely and hope that you will be OK. I'm sorry you're going through all of this.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Newimage....its not been a good thing for my adult children to.live w me. I have kicked them out and let them return many times. It doesn't work! I need a peaceful life...
Old 11-24-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Txhelp, I know. No matter what else I was feeling when I deposited my daughter at the rehab, the feeling of relief was topmost. Feel guilty about that. I am and have always been willing and able to do whatever hard work was required in regards to my kids, but this is harder because this is nothing I can do.

Croissant makes the point that our children are making choices as adults. I think part of the conflict I have is that especially this time around with my own daughter, who is now 24 years old, it is very clear that her emotional/psychological age seems to be frozen around the time she herself has stated that she started using which is 14. She didn't seem to be making any of her decisions from an adult standpoint.

Take care of yourself; will be thinking of you and your family.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree with the emotional age issue. My son has the coping mechanisms of a 14 year old.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I agree too about the emotional age. I have always said my AD is still an 8 yo emotionally.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sending positive thoughts to you today, from one mom's heart to another, wishing you peace.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sometimes people don't grow up until they are forced to. I am so sorry for what you are all going through. Just wanted to let you know I am reading and I support you!

Originally Posted by Newimage View Post
Txhelp, I know. No matter what else I was feeling when I deposited my daughter at the rehab, the feeling of relief was topmost. Feel guilty about that. I am and have always been willing and able to do whatever hard work was required in regards to my kids, but this is harder because this is nothing I can do.

Croissant makes the point that our children are making choices as adults. I think part of the conflict I have is that especially this time around with my own daughter, who is now 24 years old, it is very clear that her emotional/psychological age seems to be frozen around the time she herself has stated that she started using which is 14. She didn't seem to be making any of her decisions from an adult standpoint.

Take care of yourself; will be thinking of you and your family.