Just a quick update

Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a quick update

It has been 2 weeks since my son entered rehab. What a difference. I see such a change in him physically and mentally. I gives me hope. His counselors say he is working very hard on his steps and really seems to want sobriety. I have attended family group with him, very helpful to us both. For 2 weeks I have been able to sleep knowing he is safe and sober. I still have fears when he comes home. How do you learn to trust them again? How do you let them leave your house and not wonder if they are out using? These are my biggest fears. I only hope he can continue to work his sobriety when he comes home. Thank you all for your posts, they give me strength. God be with all.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's wonderful that your son is working the program. I've always had those same fears when my AD would come home. It's hard not to feel like you're walking on eggshells around them waiting for a shoe to drop. Trust has to earned back once it is broken. Start with small things. Whatever you give him or allow him to do in your home is a priveledge at this point. My daughter used to be on lock down when she would come home. She would do great for while and then I'd see signs when freedom was back. Just keep your eyes open.hopefully he do well and continue working the program and surround himself with others who are positive influences.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So glad you are getting some peace. I hope you are taking this time to gain support for YOU!

Blessings!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ejohn18 View Post
How do you learn to trust them again? How do you let them leave your house and not wonder if they are out using?
Recovery plus time (yours and his) takes care of that.

I didn't trust my daughter when she first truly sought recovery, but I kept my thoughts to myself and reminded myself that "more shall be revealed". I knew she would show me what I needed to see, if I was patient and didn't force anything. That was not easy, not at all.

I knew I finally trusted her again when I forgetfully left post surgery painkillers sitting on the table.

I think it took us both a year to get to that place.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update ejohn! This is great news! I hope he stays committed and soaks up every bit of information they provide him with. So encouraging to hear how they are able to rebound once they are clean and in a structured enviro. I know this isn't always the case but I'm so glad you are getting glimpses of "your son". Smiles to you today!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

That's great to read.

I had many of the same fears with my husband. Day after day, I was reminded by wonderful people here to take one day at a time, live in today and how worrying would solve nothing. It took me a while to finally get there but I did.

Well, my husband did relapse. He was in a vicious cycle of using and detoxing for several months. I worried for nothing because he was going to do what he was going to despite my love or worrying.

Today, I am happy and he is also clean. Today is a good day. I won't ruin my today.....worrying about tomorrow.....for I would lose my joy of today.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear EJohn, I too was in your situation. When we finally figured out who had been lieing, stealing and manipulating us, the trust seemed forever gone. This was our 2nd RAD. Never thought she was in so deep. Heroin was the last drug I thought she would take or be addicted on. After the inpt therapy I almost didn't take her home, I was frightened that the nightmare would continue again. Well, I took that chance and brought my adult (19) daughter home. It was like being with a stranger, someone new, like walking on eggshells. The biggest mistake I made and would encourage you to NOT make, was questioning every move she made, everything she said etc. the trust was being questioned. And she tried and tried. She completed the IOP therapy, happily, did her drug testing, finished her after care. I now wish I would of had more trust in her, her actions, intentions, her words and how much she wanted us to believe in her. I do now believe and have found trust in my daughter, months later. Would I leave a bottle of percocets left out on the table, unguarded?? Absolutely not. I believe in her, all the hard work for achieving sobriety she did, yes, but, I will never tempt temptation around her. It's like giving candy to the diabetic and see what happens. Have some hope for your son when he comes home and has more freedom. Addiction therapy has come a long way, they are doing great things. One day at a time, this is so true. Gotta go! TF
Old 11-25-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It so great when you see that glimmer of hope. It does have to be one day at a time.

Prepare yourself for what happens after rehab....

Our addicts have a disease if they do the work...they can be in remission.