Next Step. Looking for Advise.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Eve
I just went through this about 3 weeks ago. Our daughter (age 23) did 30 days in-patient and wanted to come home. Her counselor however, supported us completely by saying that it was not a good idea. That the relapse rate for young adults going from inpatient to home is very high. We refused to take that chance. Again, luckily her counselor prepped me on the phone first then we did a group call. When our daughter began whining and then screaming about coming home, I was instructed to say "this conversation is not productive, and therefore I am going to hang up. Which a did. Apparently, she threw one hell of a temper tantrum, locking herself in a bathroom, kicking walls, etc. Once calmed down, she tried a different tactic, she called daddy (my husband) and cried about how much she missed him. He was forewarned and said "no."

Her options were PHP with a sober recovery house for 4 weeks and then IOP with sober recovery & a job for 6 weeks before we would even consider allowing her home OR she could be homeless. She choose the 10 week PHP/IOP option. She will be sober 60 days tomorrow.

I will tell you what my deciding factor was. I was at a family support group (set up by her in-patient treatment place) and there were about 8 moms there. I was the only 1st timer, all 8 had kids back in for the 2nd or 3rd time...All 8 went from inpatient to home. All 8 kids (young adults) relapsed. That was enough for me. Just my opinion but I say, don't bring him home!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow! Those numbers were a powerful mitigatory. Way to go on holding your ground ...
Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Leana, I appreciate your story (and everyones!). We didn't want to bring him home. I want to work on a plan that this being home is temporary and IOP is an option. But since he was administratively discharged, don't know what that means for insurance to cover IOP.
Tonight, he went to a meeting. We will talk tomorrow and over the weekend. It's frustrating the discharge was so...sloppy and there was NO time to prepare. To give a 23 year old who just tried suicide a homeless shelter list and no meds/scripts and here's the door...I don't know. But it is what it is and tomorrow is a new day.