Im crushed

Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) has a wide range of symptoms, and it will affect each individual differently. The severity of it will depend on the level of the addiction and how much damage was done to the nervous system during the course of addiction. Most addicts experience PAWS immediately after detox, and the symptoms usually peak at about three to six months later. However, PAWS can last up to two years, and sometimes even much longer. There are six main symptoms of Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome: Difficulty with Clear Thinking - such as trouble with problem-solving, reasoning, processing thoughts, and concentrating. Difficulty with Managing Stress - such as trouble coping with stress or even recognizing it. Difficulty with Managing Emotions - such as feeling extreme emotions, overreacting, depression, feeling numb, or under-reacting. – such as insomnia, sleep apnea, sleeping too much, or not being able to keep a regular sleep cycle. Difficulty with Physical Coordination – such as trouble with balancing, fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and reflexes. Difficulty with Memory - such as short-term or long-term memory loss. If you’re an addict in early recovery who is experiencing any of the following symptoms, you’re likely suffering from PAWS. But you aren’t powerless over the symptoms. Managing PAWS is an important part of early recovery. Here are some things that can help ease the aftershocks Your Support System – can help you stabilize your feelings. Talk to trusted friends, your family, your sponsor, and other supportive people to help you work through your difficulties. Protecting Yourself – from threats to your sobriety is crucial to making it through PAWS. Proper Nutrition – and a balanced diet that’s low in sugar, fat and caffeine will help reduce the symptoms of PAWS. Regular Exercise - will also help reduce PAWS and relieve tension. Counseling, whether it is individual, group, or both, will help you cope with your problems and keep you connected to your goals in recovery. Educating Yourself about PAWS, addiction, and recovery in every way possible will help you maintain perspective on the symptoms you’re experiencing. Balanced Living is important for everyone. If you try your best to keep good balance and stability in your life, you’ll be better able to handle the symptoms of PAWS. It can be extremely frustrating to experience PAWS, and it can even make you question your desire or ability to stick with recovery. It’s normal to feel that way, but it’s important to push through PAWS and realize that it will improve over time. As long as you continue to utilize different coping methods, things will get better.
Also in regards to the above symptoms, as I read to my self and aloud to my daughter, we both at the same time "this is J aka my son, on a normal daily bases. Even 3 yrs ago when I know he wasn't using.

He has always had a "roller coaster".emotional state which I have sought help for. He left currently taking celexa and Wellbutrin. He's not a trouble child. Never acted out on anger but would get mad at the drop of the hat. I've always thought he was bipolar with manic episodes. Idk. He's a high school graduate. A firefighter/ EMT. EVERYONE he meets loves him immediately. His personality is outstanding. I guess I still don't get it.

Long story short his 3rd semester in 12th grade he slipped below a 2.0 which is mandatory to stay in the firehouse as a volunteer. Naturally he got suspended until interim's where he could show improvement. Well, I guess he realized there was a life outside of the firehouse (he breathed daily just to be there and I would fight him to come, oh what i would give to beg him to stay there now!) and stated going to parties and never looked back

I'm sorry for the rant my emotions and thought are all over the place and I guess I just want people to understand me and realize J isn't a bad person, never was, he just made some bad choices.

Thanks for listening! ... Reading hehe
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

encourage him to work on his "spiritual condition"

Originally Posted by WasItMe View Post

Could he be playing them with the ' I don't feel good ' blues so it prolongs his stay?

addicts get very good at what they do and can scheme up any believable act.

I'm so confused on how I'm suppose to feel or think.
yes, he may be trying to fool them
but, these treatment centers have seen it all before
not to forget they still have a bottom line - making money
of course they hope and pray to help as many as they can
but, they also have to pay their bills

you should feel good - seems you have done a great deal so as to help

the next statement also holds true for the addict

So the MAIN problem of the alcoholic centers in their mind and in their spiritual condition.

encourage him to work on his "spiritual condition"

that is what will keep most clean and sober

also helps loved ones who are worried regarding outcome

++++++ tomorrow will take care of itself ++++++

Mountainman
Old 10-19-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It's not unusual for them to talk about leaving the program after a week or two, sometimes using an excuse like "it's not working" or "the counselors are jerks and pick on me"....plug your ears and don't listen and don't fret and for the love of heaven don't go get him. He'll get past it and once he has a month or two under his belt he will begin to heal.

I hear a lot of fear and concern from you, hanging on every word he says, and as a mama who has been where you are I am going to say with love in my heart...stop fretting over him, let him do his recovery, and find some for yourself and your family. Codependent No More is a wonderful Book by Melody Beattie about our side of addiction. Most of us who have read it feel we should get royalties because Ms. Beattie pegs us exactly and offers solutions to how we can heal and grow.

Meetings have helped many of us also. CoDA, Al-anon and Nar-anon are 3 similar fellowships that have helped us find healing and peace...no matter how our addicted loved ones are doing.

It's time to turn the focus on you and finding your own recovery will help you endure this journey and become stronger each day.

Hugs
Old 10-19-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
It's not unusual for them to talk about leaving the program after a week or two, sometimes using an excuse like "it's not working" or "the counselors are jerks and pick on me"....plug your ears and don't listen and don't fret and for the love of heaven don't go get him. Hugs
not sure if i came across wrong or forgot a word but he doesn't want to leave the facility in fact he loves it. He doesn't even wanna come home. He doesn't want to leave the particular facility he is at to go to next facility for phase 2 of recovery. They detox at one place (men only) and go to another for recovery (coed facility).

There are 3 facilities this place owns. Each has its own price ranging from $12,000 - $40,000 plus.... based on my insurance coverage his amount fell in the middle.
1. Mens Facility (detox/recovery/treatment.) He is here now for phase 1...detox
2. Womens Facility (detox/recovery/treatment.)
3 Residental Living (NO DETOX/ co-ed/ recovery/treatment.) He goes here for phase 2 .... remaining time for recovery and treatment.

Where the new residents go to detox, they also can stay there for the 6 weeks HOWEVER, my insurance doesn't cover this place for treatment so he has to go to the other facility (15 miles away) and do his treatment/recovery there.... his remaining 5 weeks. If i wanted to let him stay at the Mens Center detox facility I would have to come out of pocket another $7000 and I already came out with $5000 on top of the $22000 my insurance is paying.

Life is full of ups and downs and having to deal with not being to stay at the place he is at is just part of his recovery. He has to learn to deal with this as a sober person. He said he understood about not being able to stay where he is and having to go the other place and he is fine.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

When I was in detox, I didn't want to leave. I felt safe and secure there. I didn't have any responsibilities other than to allow them to shield me from the real world. I managed to stay an extra day, for a total of six days.

Then, I had to move on to an intensive outpatient program. I had to be there a full day for two weeks, then the next two weeks, I was there for three hours a day, three days a week. That was to ween me off the IOP and allow me to slowly integrate back into society. I didn't want to leave there and go back to a life of going to work and dealing with things again. So, on the next to last day of IOP, I stopped on the way home and bought a six-pack of beer. I knew I'd tell them about it the next day and they would extend my stay another week. I sabotaged myself because I didn't want to lose that safe and protected feeling I had.

But, we all have to move on. It can be scary and I understand what your son is feeling. He'll be okay if he truly wants to live a sober life. Sometimes, we have to do things while scared. We can't be protected and live life in a bubble.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It sounds like your son is doing well so far and eager to get clean. My son was allowed to call us the next day after arriving for detox and he was not thrilled. I wish they had not allowed him to call because I worried. He too had a separate facility for detox then went to a men's center a few miles down the road. When he first arrived at the men's center he was not thrilled either but guess what happened? He became very close with his two roommates and others there. He ended up liking it. BTW he asked us for help in the beginning so he was not forced to go. He did his 30 days then 30 more in IOP and sober house. He is past 90 days clean and so far so good. Some addicts have had their life out of control for so long they are actually glad to have the feeling of getting their life back and the rehab feels like a safe haven to them where they can hide for a bit from the big bad world they left. While he is there, start doing things for yourself that you have not done. Go out with friends, go to a movie, knit, read, run, play. We had been wrapped up in my son's issues for so long we had to try and find ourselves again. The Melanie Beattie book is excellent for us mom's!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
When I was in detox, I didn't want to leave. I felt safe and secure there. I didn't have any responsibilities other than to allow them to shield me from the real world. I managed to stay an extra day, for a total of six days. Then, I had to move on to an intensive outpatient program. I had to be there a full day for two weeks, then the next two weeks, I was there for three hours a day, three days a week. That was to ween me off the IOP and allow me to slowly integrate back into society. I didn't want to leave there and go back to a life of going to work and dealing with things again. So, on the next to last day of IOP, I stopped on the way home and bought a six-pack of beer. I knew I'd tell them about it the next day and they would extend my stay another week. I sabotaged myself because I didn't want to lose that safe and protected feeling I had. But, we all have to move on. It can be scary and I understand what your son is feeling. He'll be okay if he truly wants to live a sober life. Sometimes, we have to do things while scared. We can't be protected and live life in a bubble.
Suki! Thank you so much for your honesty. It really is moving. He is doing 6 wks inpatient then IDK what from there. I do know that the help with outpatient services once he completes the program but not sure since its different states.

God Bless you for being so open and helping everyone.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

One thing that I wasn't able to take advantage of, because I wasn't in an inpatient rehab and had a daughter at home I needed to get back to, was a sober-living facility after being discharged. Sometimes it's helpful not to thrust them right back into society. A sober-living facility will require him to get a job and do chores around the place. They have meetings and it can enable them to slowly move back into a full life outside. I'm sure the after care program where he is can help with that, if it's something he might be interested in.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needingabreak View Post
It sounds like your son is doing well so far and eager to get clean. My son was allowed to call us the next day after arriving for detox and he was not thrilled. I wish they had not allowed him to call because I worried. He too had a separate facility for detox then went to a men's center a few miles down the road. When he first arrived at the men's center he was not thrilled either but guess what happened? He became very close with his two roommates and others there. He ended up liking it. BTW he asked us for help in the beginning so he was not forced to go. He did his 30 days then 30 more in IOP and sober house. He is past 90 days clean and so far so good. Some addicts have had their life out of control for so long they are actually glad to have the feeling of getting their life back and the rehab feels like a safe haven to them where they can hide for a bit from the big bad world they left. While he is there, start doing things for yourself that you have not done. Go out with friends, go to a movie, knit, read, run, play. We had been wrapped up in my son's issues for so long we had to try and find ourselves again. The Melanie Beattie book is excellent for us mom's!
My son wasn't allowed to call for 5 days which is great for him but was killing me. His therapist did call me and keep me up to date with everything. My son became instant friends with his roommate but the person left like 3 days after he got there. I talked to him today and asked if he got a new roommate and he said yes but its not going as good. He said this one is making him very angry and he has said something to his therapist about it. Im sure they are used to this sort of issues.

He did tell me he had acupuncture today. I asked him what for and he said because he is achy. Nice to have that option I reckon. I just pray he gets resources outside of medicine to deal with life.

Thank you for helping me. Thats wonderful about your son. You must be so proud and I am sure he is equally as proud. I wish him all the luck in the world and pray he continues on way to living a sober life. Thats so exciting!! Oh btw, what is IOP?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

WIM, so glad your son is in treatment, participating and knows he's not ready to come home! That's good insight right there! And how could you have known? He's your son. He's skilled at manipulation (as are all addicts). We mom's never want to imagine/believe/think the worst.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't suggesting that your son wanted to leave, I was preparing you for the conversation that often happens after a week or two where they say they do...but most stay and successfully complete the program.

I hope this unfolds well for all of you.