i really don't know where else to turn right now

Old 11-12-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

One of the greatest gifts I gave myself to help myself was getting involved in Alanon. Check to see if there are any local Naranon or Alanon meetings in your area. Alanon tends to be more widely available.

I understand what it's like to be completely overwhelmed when you have mental health issues on top of everything else. I've been going through a lot of that lately the past few months.

Are you seeing a counselor or psychiatrist at this point to help with your mental health issues? I have found the professional mental health community to be a tremendous resource for me.

Offering you hugs of support.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Evoke,

I am not going to repeat what others have said. I do know I tried to help my RAH quit. That only turned him into a child and an addict. Leaving (or kicking him out) was not an option for me at the time. Until one day I told him, "I want you and love you, but I do not NEED you!" I love him and always will, but I do not NEED him to exist.

I am not telling to to leave him. Rather, I just want you to know there is nothing, nothing, you can do to help him fix this or even want to fix this.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone is attacking you or telling you to leave. We are just sharing our stories. They aren't pretty stories. They are difficult stories for us to share. None of has had it easy. We have had to learn new behaviors and make difficult decisions to protect our children and ourselves from another person's drug addiction. You have to find your own path. We all do.

I hope you will try an Al-anon meeting and start working your own recovery program. I think that will help you feel better and stronger about the choices you are making. While you can't force him to change what he is doing, you can change yourself. Also you may want to read Co-Dependent No More by Melanie Beattie. It will give you ideas on how you can stop enabling his addiction, without necessarily leaving.