Crack Cocaine

Old 05-24-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Exclamation Crack Cocaine

There is nothing pretty about crack cocaine. Crack cocaine use is a growing problem in inner cities and it is moving to the suburbs. Crack abuse affects society on many levels. The high is intense and the person high on crack feels up and motivated but it doesn't last long. The viciousness of this addiction sets in soon after the addict runs out of dope or the money to get it.
People who sell crack often sell it to support their habit. There are people who sell it to make money and do not use it. They are the ones driving luxury cars and living in high rent districts who seem to have no means of work or support. Both types of dealers are predators on society in that they are a vital link to the growing crack problem. They will accept stolen goods as well as money as payment. They stand on street corners, entrances to all night mini marts, and use cell phones to stay connected with their buyers. If they get arrested they are usually back out on the streets selling their wares before the ink gets dry on the warrant for their arrest.
The addict usually starts out using occasionally but, they do get out of control quickly. They exhaust their families savings, max out credit cards, and spend most of their income on it rather than paying their bills. I have even heard that people use their food stamps and welfare checks to buy crack. They will also steal from family members, friends and have been known to resort to breaking and entering into businesses and homes to find small valuables that can be either traded for dope or pawned for money to get dope. Once a person is hooked their life focus becomes how can I get more.
People who use crack are full of shame and fear. They are in a trap that normal people just can't understand. Although their behavior may be criminal, we must remember in dealing with people with this problem that they are human and are in pain. They use crack to not feel this pain and shame.
Many families have had expensive planned professional interventions for their loved ones only to see them go right back out as soon as they get out of rehab. It is very heart breaking. If you have a minor child that is using this drug I feel as a parent it is necessary to try and reach them with rehab and whatever other resources are available to you. You may be able to reach them when they are young.
Often times family members and friends have no choice but to ban the person who uses crack from their lives in order to protect themselves and their property from the addicted loved one. Many Grandparents end up caring for their grand children because the crack addicted parent can't feel a sense of responsibility for their children.If your loved one is an adult they are much harder to reach if they have been using for more than 6 months. In recovery circles it is said that in order for someone to wake up and realize that they need to get clean that the pain of using has to become greater than the pain of not using. What looks like a bottom to a regular person may be Mt. Everest to a person who is using any substance. Depending on the addict and how far gone they are death maybe the only bottom they ever reach.
Women as well as men will trade demeaning sexual acts to get high. Prostitution is not uncommon among crack users. Many women resort to it so they can stay high.
The children of crack addicts are the most innocent and vulnerable victims of crack use in that at least they will be neglected left alone at all hours while their parents are out prostituting or committing other crimes to get drugs it is also not unheard of that children will be used for prostitution or actually sold to get drugs. When and if intervention on behalf of the children of crack addicts is implemented much damage has already been done to the child.
Although crack is said to not be physically addictive and withdrawal symptoms are not near as sever as withdrawal from alcohol and heroin the psychological addiction is very hard for an addict to break. It is my understanding that most crack addicts get clean on their own and that forced rehab can often cause deep resentments that give the addict the excuse they need to keep using. Family members often try to find help for their addicted loved ones and end up getting crushed in the process. It seems addiction takes on a life of its own it is powerful, cunning, and baffling.
Law enforcement doesn't seem to have any handle on the problem. Many people want help but cannot afford it. It is said that if the addict does not want help there is very little chance that rehab will help. Sometimes being put in prison does help an addict but more times than not prison does not deter use because drugs are available in prison and I think it is totally ironic that the prison guards are bring the stuff in and have a side business of selling drug to the inmates that often times yields an income that is greater than their salary.
There is a theory that addicts are born not made. It is believable that their brains have low levels of certain hormones. When a person with this condition comes into contact with a substance that raises the hormone level to what for the rest of us would be a normal level they loose all control and making it very difficult to want to go back to their own low although still normal levels. The people who are working with this theory believe the cure for addiction is to help the addict learn to live with their natural born hormone levels rather that try to alter them in anyway. I believe this is a good theory. Everyone else has to accept them self the way they are why not an addict?
Nobody plans on becoming a drug addict. I hope better solutions for a cure come about for societies sake and the sake of the addicts and the families that fall apart.
Thank you for reading this. God bless.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I wrote this article based on my own personal experience. I submitted it at ezine a couple of months ago.

I am not sure if I am breaking some rule @ ezine for posting this here.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

splendra, great article, it certainly fits my AD to a T. Rec'd a financial aide check, and that's all she needed to relapse, and run with it.

I pray everyday day for her two little ones.

And the families that fall apart, right on!!! You can also consider me, the Mom who fell apart.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thank you Splendra for saying it so well.

All drugs can destroy addicts and all who love them, and none are better or worse than others...but I have always felt that if the devil himself had a drug, crack would be it. It is just an evil drug that grabs people almost from the first use. It is cheap and easy to get which means many addicts who run out of money use crack, and it claims their very soul.

I pray for the addicts each day...but I pray for the children more. They are the innocents and my heart breaks for what they have to go through when their parent is an addict.

Hugs
Old 05-25-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by splendra View Post

There is a theory that addicts are born not made.

This " theory" expands to include all seriously addictive drugs, including heroin.
I do not accept this. Addiction is a world -wide epidemic, unlike anything in history. Anyone, anywhere can become addicted to crack, cocaine, crystal meth and/or heroin/opiates. I do not think the same can be said for alcohol.

The stuff is available. It's relatively cheap to start and an option for those who prefer not to deal with life on life's terms. It's often easier to say "what the heck, let's give it a shot- I can control it". It's all about the fantasy of a life without consequences.

The Chinese have been the only society who were able ( for a time) to eliminate drugs from their culture. Communists killed anyone suspected of growing/using/selling. Even that, took a generation.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by outtolunch
Anyone, anywhere can become addicted to crack, cocaine, crystal meth and/or heroin/opiates. I do not think the same can be said for alcohol.
I am not so sure this is true. Years ago I tried cocaine and opium I even freebased cocaine once which is now what they call crack. I hated cocaine. I did like the way opium made me feel and I also was at one time strung out on crystal meth also I had an alcohol problem.

My siblings still use crack as much as they can. They are addicts. I used it but hated it. I liked opium but did not get addicted to it. I think I got all the endorphins in my family.

I think their brains are different than mine. I think some day there will be treatments for the brain.

All of my siblings have been in all sorts of AA/NA based treatment but none of them have been helped. My oldest brother is famous for going to a meeting right before he goes out on a big binge. I asked him to stop going to meetings because they seem to make him worse. I think he needs to go into a treatment that will look at his body's deficiencies and work that end of it.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the very useful information.

Many here can testify that once the A did let go the drug and did enter recovery, the clean person who emerged was someone they still could not live with.

It is the hope and belief of many that once the addict lets go the drug, the shining knight (or princess) will finally be allowed to emerge. We have been pretty conditioned to this hope, I guess, from the eons of fairy tales flowing in our ancestral blood.

A parent who has known a daughter or son before the addiction...that parent has real reason to believe in the core human being who has been warped by addictive disease. And real reason to expect that human being to again emerge. For the parent has a clear history of behavior and values the child once demonstrated, before addiction.

But in love relationship with addicts, unless we have had a long history with someone in the years prior to the addiction, it is emotionally dangerous for us to hang on and hope for sobriety with a faith that the "wonderful" man or woman we "know" is underneath the disease-warp will get clean and live in joy with us.

Many disturbed persons become addicts and the reason they are crazy is not only the addiction.

So let us be careful.....Actions over time. Clarity over illusion.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Well I think if one form of treatment is not taking hold for an individual then maybe something else ought to be tried.

I went to AA years ago and would not even consider it as an option for myself. My brain was nowhere near in condition enough to discipline myself to the 12 steps for one thing. I went to what was called a "beginners meeting". The main focus seemed to be on finding a date. I did not like it one bit. It really turned me off. I hear AA has gotten better about that kind of thing.

I am so glad that I had concerned professionals working with me to get my brain and body in balance. I really wanted to get clean I was tired of it so perhaps it did make it easier for me. I also would like to add that my son's father helped me so much too. He took me out of the environment that supported my drug and alcohol abuse. He did not take any crap off of me either when it came down to the wire in the early part of my recovery.

Crack addiction is a different animal it has done so much damage to my family and to so many others. Of course it has the back up of generations of Alcoholism and other addictions. They say it is hereditary I believe it. I wonder if my family will ever recover?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is it about the moment in time of yr life, as much as the chemical constituent in the drug- the persistent nature of the thing you want to numb out - that turns drug use into addiction.
I have used about every drug they've discovered, and been around many who have done the same, for past 20 years.... but only in last few have I encountered addiction in my partner, and that goes way beyond the drugs. I am a complete beginner in this, so not sure footed about what I think.

thank you for the article
Old 05-25-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

crack is a terrible drug. my son was addicted from the first time of use. thanks for this post. it is an eye opener for lots out there.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
splendra, i'm sorry if my post IMPLIED that i'm campaigning for AA or any other single solution....my meaning was simply that IF an addict CHOOSES recovery, there are many many roads to recovery. i'm all for whatever works........!!!!
Please don't worry (((anvilhead))))me too I don't care how someone gets clean as long as it works.

I will say AA and NA works for some people. I just wish they had a higher ratio of success. So many courts order people in to these programs and they fall thru the cracks when it doesn't work.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

What about the ones who are reading this; most of whom are the co-addicts probably reading this to try and squeeze some kind hope out of all of this.

It is so hard to accept that most likely we can do nothing. Where is our treatment, our medicine? What is going to get our brains in balance? Our thinking got us here reading this as if reading is going to help.

I have known for decades there is nothing I could do. At one time I separated myself from my family I lived several states away. I got clean and really like it. They begged me to come back my mom was sick they needed me to come home they even lied and said they were all straight huh!

Boy was that a lie. I wish I did not come back it has been so terrible I hate them. I want to tell them all to kiss my @$$ and to go to hell.

How I could I let them take me down? I am so angry.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Splendra, not a day of our journey is wasted, sometimes we have lessons we still need to learn. I love the "happy" lessons, but I struggle with the ones that are more difficult, and I find those to be the ones where I "attach" myself to the behaviour of others.

A gift of recovery is learning to find our own truth, and to be able to stand in it even if we stand alone.

My prayers go out for your family, how sad is the life they live. And more prayers for you, that you feel the love and strength as we all walk with you on this path of recovery.

Hugs
Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

My ex-fiancee' has been using crack since he was 19. He will be 33. He has had periods of being off crack but never drug and alcohol free for more than a few months. Crack is a very powerful drug to those it "clicks" with physiologically.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

It is so hard to accept that most likely we can do nothing.
I have found that acceptance is the key for me. If I don't accept "it is what it is", I can go right back to that obsessing about what they ARE doing or AREN'T doing right, according to me. Lately I've found my self right back at Step One..."I am powerless over other people." I've had to ask myself do I really believe that? Lately it looks like I don't believe it because I've found myself thinking so much about what THEY are doing and, in a round about way, I'm trying to figure out just how I can get through to them. My thinking doesn't sound too powerless to me.

I have known for decades there is nothing I could do.
Yep...again...powerless. But it's so easy for me to forget. My meetings, recovery friends, working the steps help me remember this.

How I could I let them take me down? I am so angry.
That happens to me, too, Splendra when my focus is on the wrong thing. I find myself in a tizzy, feeling all anxious inside and angry at the world (and lots of times taking it out on everyone around me).

But the good thing is I now KNOW what I'm doing. Prior to recovery, I didn't have a clue what was going on inside of me. Today I do know, so I can choose a better way. I have to go back and start practicing what I was introduced to many years ago...for me it was the 12 steps.

I love the simple sayings I continue to hear about working a program.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let Him

Or my favorite lately, told to me by a precious older lady in my Al Anon group:

Step 1: GIVE UP

Boy, those two words spoke volumes to me. But it's what I have to do in order to bring peace and serenity back into my life. Two of the most precious people in the world to me are making or have made decisions that do not look very wise. It kills me to watch it, but there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I can continue to focus on them and I'm miserable. Or I can choose a better way. Put the focus back on myself, and work on the things that need correcting in me.

One of my worst character defects is that of thinking I know what is best for everyone else. My HP has shown me that I DO NOT know, and my life is much more manageble when I stick to trying to manage myself and let everyone live their life.

Easy???? Ha! Hardest thing I've ever done in my life. But the only way I'm going to survive this world and have good days is to get the focus back on me and "live and let live".

Hope this doesn't sound like a sermon. Lord knows I'm not the one to preach (unless it's to my kid who you know just love to hear it. ). Your post is striking a nerve with me, Splenda, because I am struggling with some of the same issues.

Thanks for sharing and being so open and honest.

Hugs and prayers for you and your family,
Hangin' In
Old 05-26-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thank you, Splendra. My fiance and I are coming to the realization that his son may never recover....it just seems to get worse and worse. Crack is a demon.
HG
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great article

Hey Splendra great article, it helped me a lot understanding certain facts about addiction, I am new to all of this. But in the other hand I think to myself "do all crack addicts behave the same?" I ask that because, even though my BF is addicted to crack he didn't behave like that before going to rehab.

He "checked" himself into rehab, and maybe it will sound naive or i don't know, but nobody realized he was using crack until he told us.

We've been dating for a long time and in just one month he would dis sapper for hours, keep his phone off, and just the day before he told us he took all the money from our account without telling me. and all that makes me so confuse, maybe he just didn't use enough time to go all crazy......oh i don't know...

But once again i want to thank you to take the time to share your thoughts
Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I just want to be free of crack. I want my family and my H to leave me alone. I want to live a simple quite life with out a bunch of liars and sick people who look like people I love manipulating me into doing stuff that supports their addiction.

My family could not believe I moved to Florida to get away from drugs they all mentioned that there is a lot of dope down there but the biggest addicts in town were not my family down there. If someone mentioned dope I would stand up and say I am out of here and leave. Drug people down there got the message very fast cause they do not want to be around strangers who do not like dope.