Does rehab really work?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Does rehab work? That is a good one, I did not go to rehab and I have been sober for over 2 years. Now my XAH has been in 5 rehabs in 2 years does it keep him sober yes while he is a lock down facility. In jail and prison he was not drug free, but the most I have seen him sober was 90 days. But he does not want to change, he just does what he needs to for the courts. It is his choice, there is nothing I can do for him that he cannot do better himself. He knows what he needs to do to stay sober and he just does not want to do it.

So all you can do is make the choice do you want to be with an addict. Whether or not he is active. If the only choice is to leave him then you have to make that choice.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Rehab does it work? HUMMMM
who knows maybe it works for some but others maybe not

Like those before me have already said ........its up to the addict to want the change, this is a disease its not something that ever goes away..........

USING the drug is merely a symptom of the disease..........
even when you take way the drugs the disease is still there. I personally believe that many addicts need help getting clean and one place to get that is rehab but its not the end all be all cure..............

As for the eval person saying your husband doesnt need treatment or his drug use isnt bad enough..........I would bet that that person doesnt have all the facts because if it wasnt a problem chances are you'd have no reason to be here..........
the thing is you cant make him tell the truth either............

I know right NOW its hard for you to understand and accept but addiction is a family disease, and if you dont seek help for yourself......NOT JUST LEAVING HIM to get control as you say thats the thing You have to come to see YOU HAVE NO CONTROL EVEN IF YOU DO LEAVE!!!!

But again, if you dont seek help for yourself theres a good chance YOUR keeping him from finding recovery for himself, and doing things with good intentions that can actually make his disease worse...........

Noone can tell you what to do but I really recommend that you stick around and read and read and read all you can on addiction and codependence
good luck to you!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Queen of Leesburg

There are lots of great aspects to rehab mentioned above. the only other benefit to rehab (inpatient) that i experienced was that for at least a month you focus on absolutely nothing other than recovery. You access to the outside world is limited and if you actually WANT it it provides a safe, focused and intensive start to the process of recovery.