Well Lookie At Where Life Led Me

Old 03-14-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wink Well Lookie At Where Life Led Me

I haven't posted on this before because I didn't want to jinx myself and I also wanted to get a feel if this was really what I wanted. It is. Let me start at the beginning.

I was doing a financial project (through my own business) for a recovery house here that offers one of the best programs I have ever seen...and you all KNOW I have seen many through the years with my son. It is a long term care residential home that addresses individual needs as part of recovery from addiction. Personality disorders such as bi-polar, child abuse and sexual abuse issues, native healing methods and treatment, anger management, parenting skills, adult literacy...and many more treatments are all part of their program either in-house or as a referral through the house to specific program, from which they return when completed.

It's a great place, a big old home that is well kept and where the staff are qualified and have been in recovery for many years themselves.

While working on the project, the Business Manager gave notice that she was going to retire and one thing led to another and before I knew it, the job was mine. They know my background and of my recovery, as a matter of fact I think that was one of the reasons I got the job, because I understood addiction and codependency and better yet, they "get" who I am...imagine that...who knew?

I love it. Working with people with great recovery is just about a dream come true. I don't dare have a bad day or I'd have 3 counselors at my door willing to help make my life happy. I took it because I liked what I saw, I liked the people there and how they ran their program...but I also took it as a way to give back because of all the recovery houses that have helped my son over the years.

I'm grateful that I am in a good place in my own recovery, where I can care about the residents without getting attached at the hip or taking them all home with me. My codependency has been tested a few times, we lose a resident sometimes who goes back out and must leave the program, but I was okay with it all and accepting of that being a part of his journey. I get calls from moms sometimes who want to get their kids in the program and my heart breaks for them because I remember what it was like to be them. I've been able to make some suggestions that help and I say a prayer for each one of them.

The residents are wonderful, all working a good program and treat me with respect and as the only woman there, I think they like having a "mom' figure around. My first day there they bought me a "welcome" card and each signed it with something personal and then presented it to me at the end of the day...and I was so touched that I cried.

Most of all I am just grateful that my recovery (and God) has led me to such a great place. I can honestly say that in over three months of being there I have never left stressed or dreaded going in even on Monday mornings. It's just a very nice place to be, doing what I love to do and getting paid for it...oh, yeah, they threw in 4 weeks vacation, and a whack of sick days and other time off when I want it....what's not to love. And, it's only 4 days a week which gives me a long weekend every weekend....I love that part too.

I wanted to share this with all of you because I feel so blessed to be working there and I could never be in the good place I am in without the help of all of you walking with me on my journey. It's one of those recovery gifts that just appeared when I wasn't looking and timed exactly right.

A few people have asked me what I am up to and rather than disrupt another thread I thought it was time to share...and to say "Thank You" to all my supportive friends here for making this possible for me today.

Love you all.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ann-
I am not only happy for you- you are a gift to all there!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Ann, thank you so much for sharing this...what a blessing and a gift your recovery is and such a clear example of the rewards in our lives when we step up and do the work we came here to do ...I am happy for you and happy for the lives you will touch eveyday.....
Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

I am so happy for you! I couldn't have happened to a more deserving person!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We find some amazing things in recovery. I am so happy for you. It sounds like an amazing job.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((((Ann)))))

Boy, they are in for a treat to have you work for them. You have such a wonderful sense of humor and a great personality. I wish you all of the luck in the world, you sure deserve it.

One thing worries me Ann, I hope they don't get wind of your steel toed bunny slippers.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations. It's all abut the journey and how fortunate for some to be able to share it with you.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cmc

Wow Ann, that's sounds wonderful. They are blessed to have found someone like you who is such a perfect fit for the job.
I'm so happy for you!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you realize how really wonderful you are, Ann. I mean, you can hear it here all the time, but there is something about getting PAID FOR IT that really gives it validation

This really inspires me to believe that in this life, our path is walked for a reason.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow that sounds like the perfect job. Thank you for sharing that with us and congratulations. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

need any help ???
Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((Congrats!))

Wow Ann. You know, I remember when you moved and how sad it was and all the things you've been through, I remember thinking at the time, something is up. There is a plan forming around Ann. She's in training for something wonderful. Pieces and parts were falling into place. Like a pattern on a quilt, you were knitting it blind, now look at the end result. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and if we are lucky we get to see the full effect of it, it all becomes clear. HP has some wonderful plans for you Ann, this is only the beginning, something tells me that you are in for a few more suprises soon too.

Hugs
B
Old 03-14-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((Ann)))

That's awesome news. Congrats, good show and, all that 8

I am sure you will be very good with the people there I sure hope they know how lucky they are.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

oh ann, i am so happy for you. they have a prize in you. i can not tell you how wonderful i think this is. you got exactly what you deserve & you will be such a great example for your co-workers as you are for us. you go girl ! hugs & prayers,
Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ann, Wow talk about a great fit! Everyone who reaches out to you will be very blessed. And a staff that will be sure to spread cheer, my goodness. Looks like your journey is coming full circle. Whoo Hooo, high five!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
On a tear

They tell me that program gives to me those things I cannot get from my own family. How wonderful that, while he is still out there, you have young people around you to love and care about... who can care about you in return. Your HP is one smart cookie....

You know I love you, Ann... yours was one of the first hands to reach out to me here. Thank you for being here at SR and I am so grateful your recovery house was able to catch you and reel you in.

((hugs))
Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by frankly View Post
Wow Ann. You know, I remember when you moved and how sad it was and all the things you've been through, I remember thinking at the time, something is up. There is a plan forming around Ann. She's in training for something wonderful. Pieces and parts were falling into place. Like a pattern on a quilt, you were knitting it blind, now look at the end result. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and if we are lucky we get to see the full effect of it, it all becomes clear. HP has some wonderful plans for you Ann, this is only the beginning, something tells me that you are in for a few more suprises soon too.
God works in my life in the strangest ways sometimes, but I have no doubt Who was the master of this plan, and I am grateful.

And to all who have had such kind words to say about this...I am sending the biggest hug right from my heart.

My job is as Business Manager, which means I take care of the finances and business of running the place. I'm not, nor do I want to be a counselor, but it warms my heart when a resident shares something about himself or about the change he is seeing as he works his program. It is amazing to just watch recovery in action.

My HP had my attention as I saw too many "coincidences" unfold. Coincidence really IS God's way of remaining anonymous.

Sharing this will you all is sharing with family, and I am so thankful to be able to share my life with you.

Hugs
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

((((Ann)))) - been seeing this thread and wanted to wait until I had time to really read it to see what the good news was! I'm so glad I waited to really read it!

Thank you and god bless! You are a gift, and I'm so glad such a wonderful gift has been given to you!

You shine and are a guiding light! How lucky we all are that you are here with us!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I want a career like that!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ann, This is one more miracle your HP has brought...both to you and to all the wonderful folks in the recovery house. I'm so happy for you. As you give to the world, so the world returns to you. Thanks for all you do and for being you