Flunked Out of Rehab

Old 01-16-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad she got back in and it sounds like she is making some positive changes.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-17-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Originally Posted by SoberAndy View Post

The plan now is to get her back into day treatment until we can find another rehab, one without so many smoking rules.

Even though this was "only" smoking, I'm still bummed because we've learned over the last few months that she has trouble with rules and for her, breaking small rules often leads to breaking the big ones. Her last relapse began when she decide, "Gee, I can have a drink or two." Within a few weeks that led to full scale heroin use again.

Sorry if I sound like a witch but rules are rules. regardless of her having a hard time with rules. thats something she's going to have to learn to deal with for the real world.

and as far as her thinking she can have a few drinks, SHE has to realize that she can't do these things, it doesn't matter what you and her mother are educated about. she has to work the program, you can't work it for her.

I really do apologize if I sound mean, I guess I did all that you're doing and it made things worse. Until I let him live for himself and learn for himself, I enabled and enabled somemore. When he (sorry, meaning my addict is my son and his DOC "was" heroin.) starting working his program without me giving all my so called help, he got it! So far so good.

Good luck
Old 01-17-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rahsue View Post
Sorry if I sound like a witch but rules are rules. regardless of her having a hard time with rules. thats something she's going to have to learn to deal with for the real world.

I really do apologize if I sound mean, I guess I did all that you're doing and it made things worse. Until I let him live for himself and learn for himself, I enabled and enabled somemore.

Good luck
I don't think you sound mean. She very much does have to learn to respect and obey rules. She is slowly starting to get that, but obviously hasn't.

The positives of this situation are that she did not use. That's a big one. Of all the things to get booted for, she got booted for smoking. Most rehabs have no problem with smoking. Another positive is that she very much wanted to go back and they took her back today. That shows me that they recognize that they believe she can make it.

Would I be much happier if she was doing a near flawless program? Of course. I also have to look back to where she was five months ago. She had just overdosed for the second time and was not taking her program seriously at all. She has a long way to go, but she's also come a long way.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by SoberAndy View Post
I don't think you sound mean. She very much does have to learn to respect and obey rules. She is slowly starting to get that, but obviously hasn't.

The positives of this situation are that she did not use. That's a big one. Of all the things to get booted for, she got booted for smoking. Most rehabs have no problem with smoking. Another positive is that she very much wanted to go back and they took her back today. That shows me that they recognize that they believe she can make it.

Would I be much happier if she was doing a near flawless program? Of course. I also have to look back to where she was five months ago. She had just overdosed for the second time and was not taking her program seriously at all. She has a long way to go, but she's also come a long way.
wow Andy, I am real happy and hopeful for you guys, just got a real good feeling......
Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I'm glad to hear she didn't use, you're right thats a big one. And that she got back in, oh that is really great. Hopefully a lesson well learned.

good luck and prayers to you and your family
Old 01-18-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i am glad she got back in. it sounds as if she is really ready. i hope this will be her time. i personally think the no smoking rule is for the birds, but it is a rule. still praying for you both.