Help fellow parents I am new to the hurt

Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

thank you for that post. My AS is my only child also. I think it makes it harder not to get so wrapped up in it. I am working hard on my program but i know it is early in my recovery. I am still waiting for the serenity feeling. It seems I always feel pain these days no matter how hard I try to detach.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, cece. my daughter is an alcohlic/addict. she is 23. alanon really helps me. keep posting! blessings, k
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Cece2, If you don't mind I will call you Cece2 also. The addict in my life is my 26yr. old daughter. I have lived in this dysfunction for 5 yrs. I have enabled her, resented her, loved her, hated her but I could never fix her. I thought that was what mom's were supposed to do. Today she is sober.....it hasn't been that long. But she did it on her own and in her own time. I don't have high expectations. I only live one day at a time. Sometimes it is hour to hour. I do take care of myself.
I know I can no longer do for her what she should be doing for herself. I have always kept in touch with her, even in the worst of times.

As far as answering questions to people......when I am asked how she is doing, I simply say "she is doing her thing and still trying to find herself" I do not go into details about anything and I change the subject. I only share with the people in my life that I can trust and really care about her and me no matter what.

Stay with us here, we all share your heartache and pain.

Hugs to you and your son.............Lo

Ladyjane.........You have not failed your son. You had no control over the choices that your son made. Plese know that your are still in my thoughts and prayers. You deserve comfort and peace in your life. I am praying for that. Love to you, sweetie
Old 09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. My addict is my 20 year old son. Keep posting and reading