Abandoning Dreams.. Seeing Reality

Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Please don't give up on your dreams! God has an uncanny way of resurrecting them from the ashes when you least expect it. Maybe not always in the way we envisioned them, but His plans are hands down better than ours anyway!

Hugs to you my friend!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

when you are least expecting it someone will show up that will love you & treat you the way u deserve to be treated.we do not understand why things do not happen & why somethings do. i was divorced 5yrs & met a wonderful man. i was with him 2 when he died of cancer.he had just given me an ring before he died.i could not understand why God took him from me.he was the best thing that had ever happen to me or so i thought. 2 yrs later i met my (now)husband of 10yrs. when i met him i was going thru h*ll with my addict son.this man lived the steps.he talked to my son on a daily basic.i realize then that was why my h.p. had taken the first one out of my life.he was a bank president & would have never stood by me with the things my son was doing & would have left me in another way. things happen for a reason, even tho at the time we do not know why.hang in there, your dream could b just around the cornor. do not sell your self short.you do deserve & deserve the best.that is what i got. i believe in miracles, hope
Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember reading this thread and thinking how I wish there was something I could do to help you realize your dream. Well, today I was looking for something totally unrelated and I found this.
LaTeeDa...this just pulled at my heart...To remember this, find it and post...it's just so special. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

thanks to all.

Here is one of the things that is stopping me and it is pure economics coupled with age.

I have a really good job. the job is very secure and has a real pension and good benefits. I can get my 25 in 12years and retire at 50% of my highest 3 years of pay plus collect social security. I am (almost) 52 now. I cannot walk away from this job unless the replacement job is just as good or better.

No matter the dream, money makes the world go round. I can dream away but I still have to eat and pay my bills. I never want to rely on another person for these thing again. People are unreliable. I take care of ME, no one else does and no one else should ever be expected to.

If I find a way to have a farm again I would have to have a partner to make it a sole source of income and then it would have to be a farm that was big enough to do that. Trust me.. very few operations can be sole source income producing farms if they are only 40 acres. Beyond that, NO MORE PARTNERS. PERIOD. I lost my farm because I had a friggin' husband and he got the place, not me. I will never again put myself in a position where I stand to lose my house, my farm, my property because a relationship or partnership doesn't work out. The house I own now my XABF and I chose but it was in MY NAME as were the vehicles and the bank accounts. I refuse to trust someone else to be in on these things in my life because things can change, people can change and you you can lose it all.

If I lose it all it will be because I am too sick or too old or dead... not because someone else got bored being with me on something.

I would rather never have another farm than go thru the pain I have losing the one I had. Lose the dream before you lose the farm.

I know everyone is well meaning, but farming is something I am very good at and something I truly understand.. from the work involved to the possibility of income derived. If farming is a sole source of income you have to be farely large or have income from elsewhere to live on. To be a sole source of income it requires a great deal of labor... and you CAN hire it if prices allow you to.

If I were 31 instead of 51 I would be willing to risk more.. and if there were national health care so I did not have to cough up $10k a year for health insurance I would risk more.

Yes.. Steve Fossat has done a lot but he is also independently wealthy. I am not in that position. Whatever I do it must pay its way or it cannot be done.

Just because you have a dream does not mean you are entitled to obtain it. Just because you want something does not mean you will get it. Reality does play a hand in all this and part of that reality is money.

I truly hate money.. wish I could get away from money actually.. but here in the US that is not practical.

At the end of Lonesome Dove, Gus McCrae has died. His partner, Captain Call, attempts to pay the doctor for the care Gus had received. The doctor refused payment stating that he had left money behind. He moved to thr frontier to get away from money and stated it was a hard to get away from money.

No truer words were ever spoken.

In those days it is my opinin the wealthiest nations were the Nations of the Blackfeet and the Sioux.. and they were considered "poor" because they did not barter in money.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Originally Posted by mooselips;

Now I want to be part of a search and rescue team....
[I
(which will be hard, cause I don't have a search and rescue dog!)[/I]

NOTE TO SELF: think about buying a dog in the future..

You are too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw, I have 3 dogs, you're welcome to have 1

Old 10-21-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
rozied

I have been babysitting for my 2 grandsons this afternoon & reading all the posts on this Thread.
I want to share this story about my Dad's sister ( he has 5 ). Her name is Mary & she joined a convent at age 14. When she was 50 she decided to leave & when she left she started dating. She had wanted to find a good man & get married............when she didn't she decided that she would never met a good man & just accepted the fact. I asked her about this a few yrs later & she still said she had given up ever meeting anyone. I told her I would keep praying that oneday her HP would send her a partner............she laughed & said go ahead but I am never getting married no matter what.
When she was 74 this man that belonged to the same church as she did asked to walk her home from choir practice.....................she had known him for many yrs.
When they got to her house they sat on her porch for 2 hrs just talking. Then out of the blue he asked her to marry him. He had been married for many yrs to a very sick woman, had no children & was now a widow. She told him no but he did not give up. No mater how many times he asked her she kept telling him no. He finally went to their priest. He asked the priest to talk to my Aunt Mary.
The priest went to my Aunt & talked to her about it. I guess what the priest said made an impression because she changed her mind & decided to marry him.
At age 74 they got married in church with all of the family there. Now they are 89 yrs old, have been married 15yrs & I have NEVER seen 2 people happier. They have so much in common & do everything together.
Even though my Aunt had decided to never marry her HP had other plans.
As they say " It ain't over till its over " I was 37 before I met Jim & had decided that I was going to stay single the rest of my life & then along came Jim. We will be married 24 yrs Nov 2nd & I couldn't be happier.
Elana you are in my thoughts & prayers.
Love & HUGH Hugs,
Diane
Old 10-21-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Sweet Story! Thank you.
IF my HP is THAT peristant I best listen. So far, he has not been... and I might add I am grateful!
Old 10-21-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

diane, i love your aunt mary. she is a very special lady.
elana, hang in there & never give up hope.you just may get it all. our H.P. does have a plan for each one of us if we will just stay out of his way.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Elana, I'm not sure if this applies, but your post reminded me of what my english instructor said to the class SO many years ago.

It was a summer class, and we were a class room full of young kids. He stopped the session, and gazed out the window and mentioned what a beautiful day it is.

He then looked at us and said this:

"it amazes me that you young people are spending this beautiful day inside with an old man reading something sombody wrote so long ago, and most of you will end up graduating and not even use the degree that you're working so hard for".

He's was SO right about THAT one! After a moment to allow it to set in, he continued:

"but don't let that worry or concern you. My mother was 68 before she decided what she wanted to do with her life. She paints. She has shows, sells her paintings, and is enjoying her life more than she ever had before. So even if what your plan for your degree doesn't turn out, you have MY permission to not worry about it until your 68."

I've had about 6 different career choices in less than 20 years, and I'm still not worried about that!

Elana, if it helps you at all, I'm sure he would extend that same offer to you as well.

God bless you, and don't ever stop dreaming.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I agree.. I have had many different careers in this life. These have added bpth beauty and texture to my life.

They have also allowed me to know better who I am and what I want.

I spent a week off at home working on my house. I painted and did a little wallpaper etc. I got it caught up to the money.. so no more for awhile now.

In that process I discovered that a house on an acre of land is nice and I have a nice home but in all honesty I am not really happy. I am content but I know if I were to retire to this place I would quickly grow bored and then do something truly hair brained...

Last weekend I helped unload hay. Yesterday I helped to handle sheep. Unloading the hay and handling the sheep has been the first time in a LONG time I have felt really good about what I was doing. I was tired but so what?

The hay really did it.. I understood it and I liked it. While the work is being paid back in dog training, I would have done it for free. It made me feel that alive.

and it is another part of the puzzle that makes up who Elana is.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

((Elana ))

No words, just understanding hugs.

Cats
Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
rozied

(((Elana)))
I am praying that your HP gives you the desires of your heart.
I won't stop praying till He does!!!

Love,
Diane
Old 10-22-2007, 04:40 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

You guys make me smile.
I dream about sheep herding and sheep dogs every night.. farming and farms... Well, at night my wishes come true!

But now I am at work.....